Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #601
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
With the greatest of respect...can we move the K-3III talk into one of the many K-3III speculation threads? Or one of the many 'why is Pentax so slow' threads for that matter...

The GRIII seems to be creaking its way towards release and it would be good to keep this (GRIII) thread un-hijacked, for those of us who are extremely excited about this news.

You're right, of course, we should be discussing the GRIII here.

Let's return to the original topic, please, everyone

02-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #602
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With the greatest of respect...can we move the K-3III talk into one of the many K-3III speculation threads? Or one of the many 'why is Pentax so slow' threads for that matter...

The GRIII seems to be creaking its way towards release and it would be good to keep this (GRIII) thread un-hijacked, for those of us who are extremely excited about this news.
True, but I guess it is due in part to the awkward situation that a new camera release grabbing the headlines on the Pentax forums, is in fact a Ricoh product, and has very little to do with Pentax itself. Let's hope that will change.

Chris
02-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
True, but I guess it is due in part to the awkward situation that a new camera release grabbing the headlines on the Pentax forums
There is no difference between Ricoh and Pentax in reality. But either way there are plenty of other threads on the subject of Pentax releases or absence of them. This is not one of them.
02-21-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #604
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
True, but I guess it is due in part to the awkward situation that a new camera release grabbing the headlines on the Pentax forums, is in fact a Ricoh product, and has very little to do with Pentax itself.
It has everything to do with Ricoh Imaging, though, and Pentax is a brand of Ricoh Imaging. So they're really very closely related

So... how 'bout that new GRIII, folks?

02-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I am properly excited. Just waiting on SRS to announce preorders and I will be throwing my card at them...as long as it is less than the magic £1000 mark that makes you suck air through your teeth. All plans to hang on for the first price drop have been binned.
02-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #606
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no difference between Ricoh and Pentax in reality. But either way there are plenty of other threads on the subject of Pentax releases or absence of them. This is not one of them.
Any mention of the GRRRR naturally causes unhappiness amongst those of us who noticed two Ricoh-branded cameras announced since last year at this time - and no Pentax-branded cameras, making us wonder whether that is where all the corporation energy has gone this past year. I don't like to say that here - but that is the true "elephant in the room".

I am not excited, and my interest is slowly seeping away.
02-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #607
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am properly excited. Just waiting on SRS to announce preorders and I will be throwing my card at them...as long as it is less than the magic £1000 mark that makes you suck air through your teeth. All plans to hang on for the first price drop have been binned.
Ron Hendriks posted in another thread that it is already available for pre-order in Holland at 899 Euro. I'm guessing the UK price will be GBP £899 or slightly less. Not cheap for a fixed lens APS-C camera, but for this level of quality, I think it'll find a ready market. I've never owned a GR, but every time I've tried one at a show, I've wanted one

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Any mention of the GRRRR naturally causes unhappiness amongst those of us who noticed two Ricoh-branded cameras announced since last year at this time - and no Pentax-branded cameras, making us wonder whether that is where all the corporation energy has gone this past year. I don't like to say that here - but that is the true "elephant in the room".

I am not excited, and my interest is slowly seeping away.
I think this just goes to show how Pentax and Ricoh photography brands are serviced by the same small division. Seems like it doesn't have capacity to make great progress on both brand offerings simultaneously, so we see a few Pentax products, then a few Ricoh, then a few more Pentax followed by a few more Ricoh - all sequentially.

02-21-2019, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #608
Veteran Member

I've never owned a GR, but every time I've tried one at a show, I've wanted one
I can't praise it enough. It is so fantastically liberating to have a great camera in your shirt pocket. It goes everywhere with me.

My GRII will be for sale as soon as the GRIII is in my hands...I'll give you first refusal.
02-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #609
Pentaxian

I can't praise it enough. It is so fantastically liberating to have a great camera in your shirt pocket. It goes everywhere with me.
My first second digital camera (*) was a Canon 'compact' camera I purchased in Feb 2007; I used it for ten months, then gave it to my daughter and purchased a Rebel for myself. That was the shortest time I used a camera, and one of two I have labeled as a "failure". The reason for its being a "failure" has nothing to do with its being a Canon and everything to do with the {inflexible} limitations of any compact camera. I'm glad for you I guess, but I am getting really tired of this extended celebrating {dating back to the runup to Photokina} when we keep getting non-answers from Pentax about the K-3ii replacement. I joined here, and purchased a Q-7, just about the time Pentax started giving non-answers about the future of the "Q"; I'm not saying the two situations are the same, but I hope you can see how this might affect my reaction.

(*) first was a tiny Nikon which lived in my pants pocket - including the night I left my pants on the floor and my parents' basement flooded {we slept down there when visiting them}.
02-21-2019, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #610
Pentaxian

(...)

Will tell you more when allowed to, in three hours and thirty-eight minutes.

Wait!... I will be take part in a debate then, see you afterwards.
02-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never owned a GR, but every time I've tried one at a show, I've wanted one
I was interested in the GR II at one point, but decided not to get one because of the 'sensor dust issue'. Some time ago, I had recurring problems with dust in my Canon Powershot G7, and became somewhat frustrated. However, I've seen a lot of great images coming from the GR line -- have to agree that having a camera in your pocket really complements the DSLR experience, which is relatively cumbersome in comparison. I'm interested in what steps Ricoh has taken to moderate the dust ingress.

I might consider getting a GR III, depending on its price here in Canada (I'm guessing around CAD $1,000, but we'll see). I almost have enough savings in my camera fund (but a new computer monitor is also beckoning...)

- Craig
02-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #612

Yes. We're ignoring Pentax K-Mount in the "Ricoh GR III" thread. There are hundreds of other threads to discuss things other than the Ricoh GR III...maybe get angry in one of those instead?
I think not releasing a K-mount camera has something to do with releasing GRIII, that would be why I brought it up in a GRIII thread. Angry? Don't know what makes you think that. It is simply an "Oh well" situation for me honestly. I was waiting on spending money on a new K-mount APS-C, I will spend it on KP instead now. Oh well
02-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #613
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I was interested in the GR II at one point, but decided not to get one because of the 'sensor dust issue'. Some time ago, I had recurring problems with dust in my Canon Powershot G7, and became somewhat frustrated.
It seems to be a problem with most fixed lens cameras, especially those with zoom lenses but even the fixed focal length models. Even Sony's RX1-series (MkII version currently selling for GBP £2,999 over here!! ) seems to suffer from the possibility.

I suspect it's largely luck of the draw, and so long as you keep the camera out of very dusty / windy environments it's relatively unlikely you'd have a problem. Even so, wherever a camera has moving parts near the sensor - e.g. a mechanical shutter - there's always going to be potential for tiny debris landing on it.

A weather-resistant camera with fixed focal length lens and electronic-only shutter might be the safest design, but then you have the limitations imposed by such technology...
02-21-2019, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #614
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
I think not releasing a K-mount camera has something to do with releasing GRIII, that would be why I brought it up in a GRIII thread. Angry? Don't know what makes you think that. It is simply an "Oh well" situation for me honestly. I was waiting on spending money on a new K-mount APS-C, I will spend it on KP instead now. Oh well
That might even be right. Even when an aps-c k-mount camera is about to be ready.......I would stall it for a few months and give the GRIII the shiny stage it deserve.

The GRIII is an "expensive" camera. It costs 899 euro! Not that you don't get a great camera for that money, but it is a lot of money for most people. There is a market for it. With the right aproach Ricoh-Imaging could sell a lot of them. If I may take a wild guess on it......they can sell 20k units or even much more. So that GRIII is about to make a lot more money for the company then any lens could do or at the moment most camera body's would.

So stop worrying about your k-mount body.....it will come when the time is right.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-21-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly ;)
02-21-2019, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #615
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That might even be right. Even when an aps-c k-mount camera is about to be ready.......I would stall it for a few months and give the GRIII the shiny stage it deserve.

The GRIII is an "expensive" camera. It costs 899 euro! Not that you don't get a great camera for that money, but it is a lot of money for most people. There is a market for it. With the right aproach Ricoh-Imaging could sell a lot of them. If I may take a wild guess on it......they can sell 20k units or even much more. So that GRIII is about to make a lot more money for the company then any lens could do or at the moment most camera body's would.

So stop worrying about your k-mount body.....it will come when the time is right.
Ron, you and I have had - and occasionally still do have - our differences, but here I agree with you completely.

It's a mistake, I believe, for anyone to be truly disappointed by the release of the GRIII rather than a new APS-C camera (we don't know if that's even the case, but let's imagine it might be). I agree that the GRIII definitely has a market, and if it performs broadly to expectations, it should sell very well. That's good for Ricoh Imaging, which means it's good for Pentax