Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So that GRIII is about to make a lot more money for the company then any lens could do or at the moment most camera body's would.
The GRIII is a street camera and it is small, this is the perfect companion to a FF system (K1 DSLR or even MILC FF) simply because the day I travel to a city for business but don't want to carry a FF camera with lens(es) because I already have to carry things for work, I can throw a GRIII in my notebook bag and have it for street walk in the evening. Long story short: the best camera is the one you have with you, FF ILC is cumbersome even when it is mirror-less ILC because the lenses are big anyway, and smartphone doesn't cut it if you want to print A3 and A2, the GRIII will. If I shot sports or wildlife with a long lens, it's already large, I couldn't care less about the size of the camera body if it is a FF body, and I can use the K1 in crop mode @ 7FPS it does the job somehow. So, from my standpoint, I feel like the GRIII is more useful than making again one more of the already existing big DSLR. Sure , there is a market for the GRIII but most importantly the very small size has convenience value for the user of a GRIII.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.
02-21-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A weather-resistant camera with fixed focal length lens and electronic-only shutter might be the safest design, but then you have the limitations imposed by such technology...
The SR-based dust removal they've gone for is a good compromise. You get SR, and then a large part of the dust problem is handled for no extra cost in either money or weight or size. If I thought they could squeeze proper WR into the body without adding significant size, weight or cost that would obviously be better, but that's not realistic.

Personally I haven't had a dust problem with the GR II yet. I've been relatively careful with it...but it still lives in my pockets, so not that careful.
02-21-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #618
Pentaxian

(...) I'm guessing the UK price will be GBP £899 or slightly less. (...)
£799 actually.
02-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #619
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Videos started to pop up

02-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #620
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
£799 actually.
That's more like it. Nice to see a UK price that's directly in line with the rest of Europe and the US
02-22-2019, 03:00 AM   #621
Pentaxian

NO BUILT IN FLASH.
--
Well - That's gone hurt.

--

But not me.
02-22-2019, 03:27 AM   #622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
NO BUILT IN FLASH.
--
Well - That's gone hurt.

--

But not me.
The good thing is they changed the hot shoe so it's Pentax compatible. The 201FG fits.

I wondered more about the spec that says approx 200 shots with the battery.

02-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #623
Veteran Member

Maybe I didnt understand GR line positioning but I do not get what it brings in comparison with RX100 family?
Better lens but prime,
Larger sensor but RX100 output is already excellent despite smaller sensor,
No built in flash,
Battery autonomy is not breath taking
Price of GRIII is sweeter at least
02-22-2019, 04:20 AM - 3 Likes   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Maybe I didnt understand GR line positioning but I do not get what it brings in comparison with RX100 family?
A much higher image quality in a smaller (thinner) package.

If people would stop looking for faults and pay attention to the product, they would figure out such things.
02-22-2019, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #625
Pentaxian

NO BUILT IN FLASH.
Flash is not enough for street photography, you need a 1KW strobe to lighten up the streets at night. Flash is also need for close up wide angle (18mm) portraits.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-22-2019 at 05:45 AM.
02-22-2019, 04:49 AM   #626
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I wondered more about the spec that says approx 200 shots with the battery.
That's definitely not ideal, but then I don't see the GR as a camera for long sessions of intense shooting. It's more of an impromptu snap-shooter capable of producing seriously good images.

So yes, I would have liked to see better battery performance, but at least for my needs it is fairly easily remedied with an extra battery (as I have for my current GR as well).
02-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Flash is not enough for street photography, you need a 1KW strobe to lighten up the streets at night.
as every other person who doesn not use flash - you also think it's unnecceary.
--
I wonder how people selfishly thinks - If they dont use this - then it's irrelevant.

--
I own Caplio GX 200 - my first camera from RICOH, with built in zoom, and flash.

--
And yes, I have much joyfull time, with my little fellow - and thousends of pics are with the flash. IMAGINE THAT

--
WITH FLASH

--
Can you believe that ?

*I'm sarcastic.

*Please - every one here - don't push your "styles" in relevant category. This is a piece of equipment - and a tool. Without flash - It's dont usefull, as much as with the flash.
02-22-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #628
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Please - every one here - don't push your "styles" in relevant category. This is a piece of equipment - and a tool. Without flash - It's dont usefull, as much as with the flash.
With respect, saying that the camera isn't as useful without the flash is pushing your own style.

Without the flash, it will be less useful for some people. Others won't care

In any case, there's a hot shoe. Those that need an on-camera flash can fit one... It's not as convenient as a built-in unit, but far more powerful and versatile...
02-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #629
Pentaxian

With respect, saying that the camera isn't as useful without the flash is pushing your own style.

Without the flash, it will be less useful for some people. Others won't care

you must be right :P

Flash is stupid - why it have to be on the camera

It's a TOOL . If someone selling a tool to a thousends - then it's obvious fail for some.

So - its LESS usefull.

Or you want to say, that "more is less"

--

Why new feauters, why ISo, why Touch, Why all of that - when Less is more. Why

--

ABOUT THE STYLE

--

I don't have a style. I shoot in ALL ocassions.

all occasions means - FLASH is gone be needed - somewhere, for something, and your TOOL would be NOT quite good at that moment.
02-22-2019, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #630
Pentaxian

In any case, there's a hot shoe. Those that need an on-camera flash can fit one... It's not as convenient as a built-in unit, but far more powerful and versatile...
There is a hot shoe and small flash available for who would want to use a flash. I believe Ricoh did no add a flash to the GRIII simply because it takes more space and most importantly because the GRIII mission is to be a street photo camera, in the same way as the D500 is a sport camera but not large.