Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How close focus is the gr3. I can see it being perfect for gardens.
But I have to buy the flash separate and the drone separate and the tripod separate and all the accessories separate. That's a good thing in my view. I CAN have them but I get a really compact great image maker without them and without paying for things I don't need.

02-22-2019, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #647
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I explained already.

Also I want to inform others - less experianced photographers - that lack of the flash can be essential, if they're planning to leave the house , just with ONE camera, fitted in the pocket.
Thank you for sharing your incredible knowledge. Apparently no one else figured out that night is dark.
02-22-2019, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #648
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Also I want to inform others - less experianced photographers - that lack of the flash can be essential, if they're planning to leave the house , just with ONE camera, fitted in the pocket.
With respect, I doubt there will be many "less experienced photographers" forking out this kind of money on this type of camera. Folks buying the GRIII know what they're buying it for and what it will allow them to do.
02-22-2019, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #649
JPT
Pentaxian

If you look at the cut-away image at the bottom of this page, you can see that the SR mechanism takes up most of the space in the body. There no space for a flash or an EVF.

[High Image Quality] ?GR III | RICOH IMAGING

Their decision makes sense to me. A flash can be added to the hot shoe if you want it. An OVF can be added to the hot shoe if you want it. GPS can be handled through a connection to a smartphone.

But SR can't be added. It has to be in the camera itself or not at all. I personally value SR more than a flash, so I'm happy.

02-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #650
Veteran Member

@BigMackCam
Nah. I use "lesser" device to take photographs right now. It is soon 6 months since I last used K-1 after purchasing Huawei P20 Pro. It has been funny challenge so far. Lesser devices are enough for most scenes.
02-22-2019, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #651
Pentaxian

I explained already.

Also I want to inform others - less experienced photographers - that lack of the flash can be essential, if they're planning to leave the house , just with ONE camera, fitted in the pocket.
We had this same discussion when the K-3ii was released. They know - so do the more experienced photographers, and the ones in between. To the Ricoh designers, size was more important than including a flash or {more important to me} an EVF

This brings us back to the purpose of a tool. My wife and I are painting a bathroom. I could use a Swiss Army Knife to open the can and stir the paint; I might also ruin the knife in the process {and end up with a messy hand}, so the place where we purchased the paint also has tools for those tasks.
Attached Images

02-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #652
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
But SR can't be added. It has to be in the camera itself or not at all. I personally value SR more than a flash, so I'm happy.
I agree. Even though my first reaction was "the GR doesn't need SR", it does make the built-in ND filter even more useful.

02-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #653
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I agree. Even though my first reaction was "the GR doesn't need SR", it does make the built-in ND filter even more useful.
I think when you compare sizes ,

you're forgeting ( or don't know yet ) that GR III is SMALLER - not the same sized as GR II.

Because I own GX 200 whicvh shares this design of GR - I know HOW SMALL is already.

GR III is SMALLER than that, so the speculations - that they have to cut something because of built in SR, could be untrue, and wrong.
02-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #654
Veteran Member

I think when you compare sizes ,

you're forgeting ( or don't know yet ) that GR III is SMALLER - not the same sized as GR II.

Because I own GX 200 whicvh shares this design of GR - I know HOW SMALL is already.

GR III is SMALLER than that, so the speculations - that they have to cut something because of built in SR, could be untrue, and wrong.
Please let me know where you'd place a flash unit.

02-22-2019, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #655
Pentaxian

What you want is to drive people away from an excellent product.

You had no intention of buying the GR III, and now you're looking for excuses so others won't buy either.
02-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Please let me know where you'd place a flash unit.

increase dimensions to original GR and you will find a place. Or just look at this pics

gx 200 ricoh flash at DuckDuckGo
02-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #657
Veteran Member

increase dimensions to original GR and you will find a place. Or just look at this pics

gx 200 ricoh flash at DuckDuckGo
They shaved 7mm off of GRII, do you think that's enough for a flash unit?

02-22-2019, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #658
Pentaxian

Ricoh knows that you already have an Olympus PEN E-P5, that's why they thought "we aren't going to make an Olympus PEN E-P5 for him otherwise he will not buy it because he already has one." Ricoh thought "We are going to make a camera that Panonski doesn't have, so he will eventually buy it to do what he can't do with his Olympus PEN E-P5". And that's why the GRIII is not the same as the Olympus PEN E-P5: GRIII has a larger sensor, sensor stabilization and no flash. Ricoh thinking is very logical.

---------- Post added 22-02-19 at 15:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
They shaved 7mm off of GRII, do you think that's enough for a flash unit?
They could have added a 2mm LED light flash to avoid the no flash objection of some customers

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-22-2019 at 07:35 AM.
02-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #659
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What you want is to drive people away from an excellent product.

hmmmm ... every bad opinion - would do that.

I'm sorry - but I'm in the same boat as many... I like street photography.

If companies like Ricoh claim they're doing it for some style - obvious street style is here most mentionting -

THEN I HAVE TO SAY - WHY IT IS NOT such a wonderfull, and maybe not even street style ( as it could be with zoom ) camera - which in this last generation - would lack - one more feature - which maybe don't necceary fit into the street - and that's the flash.

I shot a LOT of street style photos, and flash is mostly don't needed - but sometimes I must use it, or want to use it.

Just my opinion.

If someone plans to buy that, why not.
02-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh knows that you already have an Olympus PEN E-P5, that's why they thought "we aren't going to make an Olympus PEN E-P5 for him otherwise he will not buy it because he already has one." Ricoh thought "We are going to make a camera that Panonski doesn't have, so he will eventually buy it to do what he can't do with his Olympus PEN E-P5". And that's why the GRIII is not the same as the Olympus PEN E-P5: GRIII has a larger sensor, sensor stabilization and no flash. Ricoh thinking is very logical.

---------- Post added 22-02-19 at 15:33 ----------

They could have added a 3mm led flash to avoid the no flash objection
Haha, like an led strip glued to a straw?)