Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I mean option of removing OVF with prism and mounting EVF instead when you want/need.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Explain how you think it could be done without exposing the sensor chamber and everything in there to debris and contamination??
The same way it is done on my Exakta SLRs. It is the mirror box that is exposed, the same way as when changing lenses.

Steve

10-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks, its interesting! I'd bet it would be a weather sealing nightmare.
Sort of like on the LX, Pentax' first weather-resistant camera. I personally, would seek a solution other than interchangeable finders. A plugable EVF to the side of the OVF would do quite nicely, sort of like accessory viewfinders on rangefinder cameras.

Steve
10-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The FF MILC market is setting itself up for an implosion or at the very least a serious correction. Too many players, too many mounts, too many offerings, I don’t know how long the market can sustain this.
Yep...good thing Ricoh decided to stay out of the fray. The cool thing is that FF MILC as a product type will be significantly improved as a result.

Steve
10-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The reason the K-3II is no longer being produced is because sales were too low to justify spending money to replace an obsolete or unavailable component in that model; otherwise why wouldn't they keep building it until a new model was ready?
Good question and a reasonable conclusion. Another interpretation is that they ran out of existing stock before they could get the replacement to market (i.e. brisker than anticipated residual sales*). Photographic stuff is made in large, but brief, production runs and warehoused. The delicate game is to sell off at or near the launch of new product for that market slot. It is likely that the last K-3II was made sometime in early 2017 with intended replacement launch this fall. As we know, that did not happen, though it might have been the intent.

Steve

* Strong interest in the K-3II continued to run high on this site right up dealer inventory dried up.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-01-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
10-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good question and a reasonable conclusion. Another interpretation is that they ran out of existing stock before they could get the replacement to market (i.e. brisker than anticipated residual sales*). Photographic stuff is made in large, but brief, production runs and warehoused. The delicate game is to sell off at or near the launch of new product for that market slot. It is likely that the last K-3II was made sometime in early 2017 with intended replacement launch this fall.

Steve
If that is the plan, why not tell Adam that they're a little behind schedule - why not repeat the statements from CP+ - why avoid the question altogether???
10-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If that is the plan, why not tell Adam that they're a little behind schedule - why not repeat the statements from CP+ - why avoid the question altogether???
Are w certain the entire internview was reported? Is it possible there were ‘strictly off-the-record’ responses, so as not to reveal 2019 product plans, and Adam respected their wishes?

.:
10-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have edited my comment to include the ending, "As we know, that did not happen, though it might have been the intent. ".

Steve

10-01-2018, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Are w certain the entire internview was reported? Is it possible there were ‘strictly off-the-record’ responses, so as not to reveal 2019 product plans, and Adam respected their wishes?

.:
Yep...

Product plans seem to be elusive when discussing Japanese companies. Launches often are made with little forewarning or even rumor. Several Pentax bodies hit the market in that way, the K-3 being one of them. I have heard it said that potential for non-delivery is a strong social deterrent against premature announcements of plans or intents.

Steve
10-01-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That is what I originally thought ..... but in responses to the interview, @Ole wrote
"On a K-3 II replacement, the question was asked and it was answered as stated in the overview section: RICOH is investigating what users prefer and how (for what) they use their cameras within the three formats APS-C, FF, and 645 as a basis for deciding the future direction, hereunder DSLR vs. mirrorless. In other words, no concrete answer at this time."
Interview with Ricoh Imaging - Photokina 2018 - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
Assuming the Ricoh representatives's said what they meant to say, and @Ole's report is accurate, they don't seem have anything close to completion at this point.

Last edited by reh321; 10-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.
10-01-2018, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

I read the interview and I think it's classic modern Pentax, which I'm fine with. I like Pentax, have used Pentax for half of their life (50 years + now) and Pentax, since 1968 has been my main camera system and still is. So Pentax is not going to introduce a truck load of new camera bodies and lenses, but I've got my FF body, a K1, three ASP-C bodies, my K5, K10D and Km and a number of lenses that cover pretty well everything I do and want to do, for me. I'm primarily a still photographer and my wife plans to improve her cell phone for an easy to carry, good video to take pics of our grandson. I've noticed that he is far more at home and better at..as Ringo Starr...says ...all you gotta do is just act naturally...in front of a small, unobtrusive cellular video camera than a larger DSLR/Mirrorless .

To me the most important statement from Pentax/Ricoh was their last statement and I quote here:

"In closing RICOH expressed their sincere appreciation of the loyalty of the Pentax users and that they are looking forward to arranging the 100 year anniversary celebrations which will take place next year on a regional basis. We can expect work shops, tutorials, product announcements, and social media content. The intention is to not only portray Pentax in the historical light, but also as a brand reaching into the future. "

The key words to me...Pentax...as a brand reaching into the future.." Those words, alongside the proposed introduction of full frame 70-200 F 4, 85mm F 1.4 and another lens that slips my mind ...in 2019...sound good to me.

Am I disappointed that Pentax didn't introduce a full frame mirrorless like Canikon and others who are saying they will ? Nope. All these mirrorless full framers being introduced in a relatively short time reminds me of the Three Stooges routine, where Larry, Moe and Curly try to get through the same doorway at the same time. You know it's not going to work for all concerned and someone is going to get hurt.

I think there's way too much new mirrorless camera activity developed and developing for a limited market and I think there's going to be some that will fall by the wayside as a result.

I know Canon will be ok, maybe Nikon...but I'm not sure about the rest.

Yeah I know the mirrorless is lighter, smaller, etc...but frankly I like the look, ergonomics, weight and performance of my K1 with battery grip. I'm not planning on switching at this time or in the forseeable future.
10-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Another example of a dull Photokina (no product announced and a superfluous, gloomy press conference) followed by a damage-control interview: Olympus.

Olympus: Full-frame is good for Micro Four Thirds | Camera Jabber

However, the interviewee is the head of the company’s imaging business, not a local product manager and marketing leader, therefore the message conveyed is loud and clear:

QuoteQuote:
the company is 100 years old in 2019 and a major announcement has been promised for the next Photokina trade show which takes place in May next year.
10-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
the interviewee is the head of the company’s imaging business, not a local product manager and marketing leader
I was extremely impressed by the high levels in the Ricoh organization present for the Pentaxforums interview on this site's front page, but as impressive as having the president of Ricoh Imaging, the global marketing manager and the global manager of product development (Mr. Arai is only the head of GR development, so he is the lowest ranking member of the seated foursome) all present is, the end result was a low ranking level of information provided.

Perhaps their appearance at Photokina was intended to check the global climate, not to lead the charge to introduce future plans and those plans are very much subject to change in the next six months. I don't think Ricoh Imaging is alone in trying to divine the future of photographic equipment manufacturing before switching on the green light. Is Photokina 2018 the last hurrah for the industry as we know it today?
10-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is Photokina 2018 the last hurrah for the industry as we know it today?
Perhaps the condensed format is an indication?

Steve
10-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suspect the Photokina organisers recognised that the reduced attention-spans of people in the camera-buying market required them to switch to an annual event. In that sense, it is a last hurrah, but perhaps just for people who invested in long life-span equipment.

I bought my K2DMD in 1981 and used it regularly until 2001. I bought my K-1 in 2016, but I’d be personally ambitious, as well as optimistic about the camera to think I’d still be using it in 2036...
10-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Is Photokina 2018 the last hurrah for the industry as we know it today?
Ironic that they have moved to an annual schedule at a time when changes will occur less often.