Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 135 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #106
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Right, if Ricoh has to sell 500 units of lowest level cameras to get the same revenue as with 50 higher class ones, they for sure have more chances to go for the second route. I imagine if out of 1000 people 200 consider a pentax then, first of all they have shown some interest in having done some research and Ricoh would rather sell to 25 the higher class model than to 50 the mass level one.
Reality is that one of every 100.000 people are interested in a Pentax camera worldwide.

(Well that include the 1.3 billion people in India that can't buy a Pentax and then some other countries that either have no Pentax representation or their GDP per capita is to low to afford it)

Basicly all countries outside the top 50
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

10-02-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
He says the KP is the followup of the K3 2 for HIM (as he sees it) and that there is a new APS-C in the works for 2019 for the 100 years anniversary, that it will be not a K3 3 but a completely new top of the line APS-C model that will make many K1 users to want one of them guess because of the feature sets which are not mentioned.

This is much more then the other interview mentioned on the subject and at least for me a VERY positive point, we can hope for great new camera to come next year!

He mentioned that they need to work on AF and that part of the solution is with better lenses like the new 50mm.
I don't care what they call the new APS-C flagship as long as it exceeds the capabilities of the K-3II in every single way.
10-02-2018, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I don't care what they call the new APS-C flagship as long as it exceeds the capabilities of the K-3II in every single way.
I might be concerned if they called it a "K-9". So would tripper. He already looks very concerned.

If they call it something else he'll look like this.
10-02-2018, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #109
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just thought of my question for the execs.
"What do you find the most exciting about Pentax at the moment?"
The extended period of silence and and sideways glances would be most entertaining...

Steve

10-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #110
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I actually dont know why they gave up on the obvious logic to name all the Crop-cameras with uneven numbers and count down in all the 5...
who pushed for it to name it K-1 anyway? Shouldnt it have been the K-8? or K-6 or even K-10 because the old one was a K10D anyway?
And the last great invention for APS-C named K-1...
But maybe they left out the 9 in the crop countdown... because of that very reason??
I mean ... OK, OK, it doesnt make any sense to discuss it, because the K-1 already broke the "even is for FF" logic... but hey, i'm just sayin...
maybe they just hook up another letter behind the number X for crop or C for crop.

I like guessing games like that.
10-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

100th Anniversary = new Crop body platform = 1Cx range?

Sgt. Schultz

10-02-2018, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
100th Anniversary = new Crop body platform = 1Cx range?

Sgt. Schultz

I See Nothing - Sgt Schultz - YouTube
I see what you did there...

Steve

10-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I see what you did there...
Thank you, if not for your enlightening post I would still be trying to figure out Monochrome's post. Some things are too obvious to be seen.
10-04-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Basicly all countries outside the top 50
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia
Oh my god this statement shows so much ignorance... I understand the point of you, but saying that people in big countries with big markets and also with lots of people with lots of money, such as Brazil, China, Colombia, Iran, South Africa, Mexico and many more can't buy or are outside of a camera/product target is totally untrue. The money is there believe me, i live in a country outside of that 50 (75/76 to be exactly) and you can see lot's of money around, what happens is that is not distribuited as equally as in the top ones, as every other place people in the middle class and higher can buy products, but people with lower resources can't, that happens in every country in the world.

But i understand your point, it's just that the example is not that accurate/fair
10-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Oh my god this statement shows so much ignorance... I understand the point of you, but saying that people in big countries with big markets and also with lots of people with lots of money, such as Brazil, China, Colombia, Iran, South Africa, Mexico and many more can't buy or are outside of a camera/product target is totally untrue. The money is there believe me, i live in a country outside of that 50 (75/76 to be exactly) and you can see lot's of money around, what happens is that is not distribuited as equally as in the top ones, as every other place people in the middle class and higher can buy products, but people with lower resources can't, that happens in every country in the world.

But i understand your point, it's just that the example is not that accurate/fair
I think only in China you can buy Pentax and the other countries don't have any representation of Ricoh-Imaging.

Nikon stops all activity in Brazil after ending sales in 2017: Digital Photography Review

Costa Rica is nice I think.
10-04-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think only in China you can buy Pentax and the other countries don't have any representation of Ricoh-Imaging.
Nikon in Brazil is a good example of why manufacturers don't need official distribution in every country they want to sell to. Nikon is closing their Brazilian office because almost all of its business in Brazil was through the grey market, so now the grey market has to provide product support. People with the money to spend on expensive consumer goods also have the money to travel for shopping trips and online retailers can do business anywhere except possibly North Korea (which doesn't have enough people with money to spend, anyway).
10-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #117
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Nikon in Brazil is a good example of why manufacturers don't need official distribution in every country they want to sell to. Nikon is closing their Brazilian office because almost all of its business in Brazil was through the grey market, so now the grey market has to provide product support. People with the money to spend on expensive consumer goods also have the money to travel for shopping trips and online retailers can do business anywhere except possibly North Korea (which doesn't have enough people with money to spend, anyway).
Sony stopped selling smartphones in Turkey recently. I think these things are happening in many countries these days.

It's also cheaper for the companies. The owners of their gear have no warranty to claim.

I don't think Pentax is strong in this grey market.

---------- Post added 05-10-18 at 08:59 ----------

I do wonder where all those grey market articles are coming from. Are those all open boxes send back after an online sale?
10-05-2018, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #118
Veteran Member

Sony stopped selling smartphones in Turkey recently. I think these things are happening in many countries these days.

It's also cheaper for the companies. The owners of their gear have no warranty to claim.

---------- Post added 05-10-18 at 08:59 ----------

I do wonder where all those grey market articles are coming from. Are those all open boxes send back after an online sale?
- Ex demo units
- Overstock of physical shops, maybe also from online shops (I remember they dont have the same purchasing contract clauses and constraints)
- Local official importers / distributors selling blocks of stock

Pentax is not strong in grey market just because of market share reality : small reach, smaller stock. Also Pentax is 80% Japan and I dont know how this grey market rules apply there
10-05-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

Doesn't Sony still sell to other countries in the area with mail connections to Turkey? Every country has little shops where people do person-to-person business. Sell it in one country, and a few days later it's been mailed to someone with a bazaar stall in Turkey.
10-05-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #120
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Doesn't Sony still sell to other countries in the area with mail connections to Turkey? Every country has little shops where people do person-to-person business. Sell it in one country, and a few days later it's been mailed to someone with a bazaar stall in Turkey.
That would be Ali Expressie