Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 135 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
APS-H - like many other random obsessions - makes no sense at all.

There's this small advantage of avoiding vignetting on non-FF lenses by cropping with the sensor instead in software (which might be camera's), and that's it.
On the other hand, having a non-standard format would put you in a very difficult position, which is the last thing Pentax should do. It would have to be a custom sensor, one done for a camera/brand which sells in very low volumes; that would make it no less expensive than a FF camera. One main reason why the K-1 is so cheap is its sensor: excellent, but older generation "off the shelf" solution.

And excusing this proposal with the DA* 60-250 working satisfactorily denotes an incorrect line of thinking: the DA* is a 2008 product, more than a decade old. Far from making a new camera just for it, the correct action is to replace the lens (like it or not, that replacement might be the D FA 70-200 f/4).
Just FTR, the DA* is no less awesome on the K-1 with some cropping. So APS-H doesn't solve any problem you might have.
You pass the test for your evaluation, but came to the wrong conclusion, we can't give you more than a mark of 80%.

Good thing you showed your work, otherwise you would have flunked.

11-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Ha ha. But you know I'm right; crop the K-1 and you'll have the APS-H camera without Pentax going through the pains of making one.
(I can make a compelling argument why the APS-C is still needed, in case you're wondering).
11-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Ha ha. But you know I'm right; crop the K-1 and you'll have the APS-H camera without Pentax going through the pains of making one.
(I can make a compelling argument why the APS-C is still needed, in case you're wondering).
I actually use my DA*60-250 all the time on the K-1. I know what I'm going to crop, I'm going to use 16:9 cropping, so I shoot to crop the vignetted corners. That gets me the full 7300 K-1 width with a 9:16 crop, and using that crop, any crop would hurt my resolution. . But, it was fun while it lasted.

APS-h forever.
11-12-2018, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
(...) I don't see many people on pedestrian crossings when the light is red.
You should come to France some day.

11-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #215
Pentaxian

It does hurt the resolution a little - but not as much as an imaginary APS-H which obviously leaves you with zero pixels!
11-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #216
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm with Ron on that one. My DA*60-250 would be awesome on APS-h without modification.

High fives there Ron.

APS-h is an intelligence test Ron and I devised to determine who just dismisses new ideas out of hand and just goes with the herd or who can actually intelligently weigh the pros and cons and come to a reasoned conclusion. And to continue that thought, I would happily use crop mode on my K-1, if they gave me the choice of APS-h. You just lose to many MP going with the APS-c crop size, and very few lenses wouldn't support APS-h. Now talk about a relatively easy to implement tweak.

But not to worry, Ron and I only make mental notes about who passes the test. it's not written down anywhere.
No one can hack our computers to find out who the sheep are.

I'm sure that will be comforting to many., rest easy, our data is secure.
And they wouldn't have to make that d-fa50mm/f1.4 because the da*55mm/f1.4 would be great on aps-h.
11-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #217
Pentaxian

That's a "they should put the K-1 on hold"-level idea.
The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is great.

11-12-2018, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And they wouldn't have to make that d-fa50mm/f1.4 because the da*55mm/f1.4 would be great on aps-h.
The 55 is great on FF too. I just had to buy a new lens hood. I find it hard to believe that Pentax labels lenses APS-c, because of the lens hood design.

I went with the DA*55 1.4, after dropping my FA 50 1.7 a month ago. I quite like it. I prefer 70 100mm for portraits so no opinion there but I like it as a walk around lens on the K-1. Iy cost me 20 bucks for a third party lens hood that doesn't vignette on the K-1. The hood it comes with works on the K-3.

Reposted from the 55mm club. Quiet SDM focussing. Very smooth out of focus areas, almost on par with the new DFA 50 1.4 which is a little smoother in the transitions.

---------- Post added 11-12-18 at 01:00 PM ----------

That's a "they should put the K-1 on hold"-level idea.
The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is great.
And needed just for brand rep reasons. You have to give people a good solid reason for buying the camera. Rebadged Tamrons don't do that for you. I know it's hard to believe but people will buy a K-1 because of the DFA 50 1.4 even if they can't afford it right away. Every company needs to have something they do best. Before the DFA 50 1.4 everything was "we have one of those too." The DFA 50 1.4 is "our 50 is better than your 50" material.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2018 at 11:06 AM.
11-12-2018, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Tiny lenses like the DA limiteds and FA limiteds aren't the hot items any more and Pentaxians would rather have zooms or highly corrected primes.
That may be your personal choice,
but please do not try to extrapolate that choice to Pentaxians in general.
11-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #220
Pentaxian

No kidding, I still hope to get a 31 someday for landscape. ƒ2.8 lenses are just not quite there. 2.8 is wide, without being especially wide. Especially at wide focal lengths where an aperture that opens really wide is more critical. At 200mm ƒ2.8 is plenty good enough. At 600mm ƒ4 is good enough. The 31 is still a special lens. I'm guessing the 77 is too, although i expect the new 85 1.4 to surpass it for the portrait crowd.

The other great thing about the 50 1.4 is I got a deal on my DA*55 (400 USD) because the a store was clearing out their inventory. The thing about what Pentax is doing now is that even though the lenses are expensive, what you get will be top of class for years to come.

I wonder if the price of the 77 will drop when the new 85 1.4 come out.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.
11-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #221
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 55 is great on FF too. I just had to buy a new lens hood. I find it hard to believe that Pentax labels lenses APS-c, because of the lens hood design.

I went with the DA*55 1.4, after dropping my FA 50 1.7 a month ago. I quite like it. I prefer 70 100mm for portraits so no opinion there but I like it as a walk around lens on the K-1. Iy cost me 20 bucks for a third party lens hood that doesn't vignette on the K-1. The hood it comes with works on the K-3.

Reposted from the 55mm club. Quiet SDM focussing. Very smooth out of focus areas, almost on par with the new DFA 50 1.4 which is a little smoother in the transitions.

That is one very nice photo Norm!

edit: oops the photo fell out. I mean the forth one from the top
11-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That may be your personal choice,
but please do not try to extrapolate that choice to Pentaxians in general.
I own the DA 15 and 40 and FA 31 and 77. And a K-S1. And a K-01. I like small gear.

It is my perception that those lenses aren't moving the dial much. For whatever reason, Pentax with the K-1 and DFA *zooms seems to be moving in a different direction.
11-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #223
Pentaxian

And needed just for brand rep reasons. You have to give people a good solid reason for buying the camera. Rebadged Tamrons don't do that for you. I know it's hard to believe but people will buy a K-1 because of the DFA 50 1.4 even if they can't afford it right away. Every company needs to have something they do best. Before the DFA 50 1.4 everything was "we have one of those too." The DFA 50 1.4 is "our 50 is better than your 50" material.
Not just for brand rep reasons but it helps there a lot - just like what the Art series did to Sigma. A Pentax with a line of D FA* primes is a Pentax to be taken seriously.

The APS-H idea is the complete opposite - it's a strategy of being "not quite up there", a strategy of "just go with brand X, they'e better". It's competing with 4/3 against APS-C but without the marketing, without the effort.
11-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #224
Pentaxian

APS-h is an intelligence test Ron and I devised to determine who just dismisses new ideas out of hand and just goes with the herd or who can actually intelligently weigh the pros and cons and come to a reasoned conclusion. And to continue that thought, I would happily use crop mode on my K-1, if they gave me the choice of APS-h. You just lose to many MP going with the APS-c crop size, and very few lenses wouldn't support APS-h. Now talk about a relatively easy to implement tweak.
I too like the APS-H idea. Before the the K-1 it seemed like a good idea as most if not all of the APS-C lenses would work on APS-H. Kunzite is probably right that sensor procurement would not be economically viable, but I like the idea. Enough extra real estate on the sensor, but no need for a new lens line.
11-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Not just for brand rep reasons but it helps there a lot - just like what the Art series did to Sigma. A Pentax with a line of D FA* primes is a Pentax to be taken seriously.

The APS-H idea is the complete opposite - it's a strategy of being "not quite up there", a strategy of "just go with brand X, they'e better". It's competing with 4/3 against APS-C but without the marketing, without the effort.
It dosn't matter what logic you hit us with, Ron and I will never surrender.
APS-h forever.

---------- Post added 11-12-18 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I too like the APS-H idea. Before the the K-1 it seemed like a good idea as most if not all of the APS-C lenses would work on APS-H. Kunzite is probably right that sensor procurement would not be economically viable, but I like the idea. Enough extra real estate on the sensor, but no need for a new lens line.
It would help save on the size of file you have to store , which also affects how quickly your files load and how long it takes to make changes in your PP software, in those situations where you chose to use it. I would like it for K-1 bird shots. I'd like a crop mode that gave me the same 24 MP my K-3 gets me on the K-1. I am storing 44 MP field when 30 would do.

I wouldn't want to crop this to 15 MP. This one is 21 MP, 26 MP would have given me enough cropping room. The DNG file Saved is 41 MP.

I'm telling you, APS-h could be a useful thing.
Just like the good old days eh Ron?
You and me against the world.

To be spoken in your Rod Serling voice "Imagine if you will, a dial on the top of your camera that allows you to select your format, FF, APS-c, APS-c or cropping: square, 1:2, 3x2, 4x3, 5x4, 5x7 or 16x9 at the turn of a dial, so you can select your format before you press the shutter, saving all that cropping in post and hard drive space."

Someone que the twilight zone theme or "Out of Limits"

Or both.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2018 at 11:53 AM.