Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2018, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
To be fair, the LEDs were functional with the camera on a tripod - as a timer countdown, and as a face detection counter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had any function when handholding the camera.
The above was the marketing response after having been caught* in the embarrassing design flaw. The LED’s were a flashy feature, intended to appeal to young phone users, to entice them to try an SLR. They could have been placed anywhere else on the camera body to achieve their supposed function, but the designers**chose the handgrip.

* I have personal communication from a member of the first group to see the finished production prototype K-S1. The design team running the focus meeting was reportedly stunned to silence by this person’s observation that the LED’s were covered when actually holding the camera. They reportedly hadn’t thought of it.
** As I recall, much of the Camera design was outsourced to the Japanese office of a California industrial design company. The design brief was a camera designed to appeal to first-time dSLR buyers. As I recall, RIcoh Imaging AMERICAS had a strong hand in the design brief and selection of the designers.

I note Pentax cameras are now designed in-house.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-13-2018 at 04:30 PM.
11-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #227
Pentaxian

You might be right; but I cannot think of one use for those grip LEDs while handholding the camera (other LEDs are more functional, and not obstructed by your hand)
What is left is the completely non-functional turning on the grip LEDs when the camera starts. It is too much to call it an "embarrassing design flaw", don't you think, especially since people complained about their very presence?
11-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As I recal, much of the Camera design was outsourced to the Japanes office of a California industrial design company. The design brief was a camera designed to appeal to first-time dSLR buyers. As I recall, RIcoh Imaging AMERICAS had a strong hand in the design brief and selection of the designers. I note Pentax cameras are now designed in-house.
Canon hires an industrial designer - and he comes up with the T90 ..... which has affected the design of every DSLR.

Pentax hires designers for two different cameras {K-01 and K-S1} - and people have complained about both ever since.

Personally, I prefer the camera bodies dating back to before the professional designers got involved.
11-13-2018, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You might be right; but I cannot think of one use for those grip LEDs while handholding the camera (other LEDs are more functional, and not obstructed by your hand)
Advertising? Not a use for the photographer, but a bit of shiny and unusual bling would make the camera distinct when out 'in the wild'. Think of all the people who would walk into a store and say "I saw someone using a camera with awesome flashing lights all over it. I'll take two. No, make that three!"

Sales would've been through the roof if people had transparent hands.

Last edited by BrianR; 11-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.
11-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Advertising? Not a use for the photographer, but a bit of shiny and unsual bling would make the camera distinct when out 'in the wild'. Think of all the people who would walk into a store and say "I saw someone using a camera with awesome flashing lights all over it. I'll take two. No, make that three!"

Sales would've been through the roof if people had transparent hands.
Alas, Pentax buyers are old men who care about things like image quality, and how the camera feels in their hands, not little green lights. Pentax DID use what they learned about LED’s though, which was my original point. The used lots from the K-01 IBIS and probably more than we know from Q.

.:
11-13-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, Pentax buyers are old men who care about things like image quality, and how the camera feels in their hands, not little green lights.
Thinking non-functional flashing lights on a camera would attract the youths to SLRs sounds like something a stereotypical old man would think. I wonder who the designers were, and what directions they were given.
11-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #232
Pentaxian

It might be a Japan-targeted thing.

11-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Thinking non-functional flashing lights on a camera would attract the youths to SLRs sounds like something a stereotypical old man would think. I wonder who the designers were, and what directions they were given.
See my post above. They were supposed to be for hand held selfies. Seriously. I don’t think it had a flippable monitor, so I don’t know how selfies are supposed to work. But they learned about LED’s.

The designers were supposedly the hippest of hip young designers.

But it’s all ancient history now. Ricoh is designing great cameras and lenses. Let’s talk about the future.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-13-2018 at 04:56 PM.
11-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See my post above. They were supposed to be for hand held selfies. Seriously. I don’t think it had a flippable monitor, so I don’t know how selfies are supposed to work. But they learned about LED’s.

The designers were supposedly the hippest of hip young designers.

But it’s all ancient history now. Ricoh is designing great cameras and lenses. Let’s talk about the future.
But I guess it speaks to how any odd thing about a camera will be seized on a beaten, even if the camera is otherwise quite nice.

I got one for my daughter. She doesn't use the LEDs, to be honest I don't think she noticed they existed, but she likes having a smallish camera that takes nice photos. Our K3 and K-1 cameras are bigger than she wants.
11-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But I guess it speaks to how any odd thing about a camera will be seized on a beaten, even if the camera is otherwise quite nice.

I got one for my daughter. She doesn't use the LEDs, to be honest I don't think she noticed they existed, but she likes having a smallish camera that takes nice photos. Our K3 and K-1 cameras are bigger than she wants.
I originally wrote Ricoh did some experimenting a few years ago with features (like the LED’s) they ended up using in later cameras. Even DPR complimented the IQ, and they generally liked the camera (even if they panned the LED’s and had trouble with the 4-Way Controller).

Until the KP I travelled with my silver K-S1 and pancakes that I bought here for $75. Nice little camera.

K-1 changed everything,

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 11-13-2018 at 06:27 PM.
11-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #236
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pentax was right to go compact with APS DSLRs at the time, they were the only ones to do so (AFAICT).

Now ILC and smartphones are here. They're a heck of a lot more compact than any APS DSLR and K-P proves the point (missing features according to alot of members here).

IMO Pentax is right *now* to target quality and upper range with FF. APS won't go away but it won't be the main target.

Also IMO, 645 isn't neglected but it's waiting to know it it will get mirrorless treatment (but then Pentax needs new lenses right when they struggle having new lenses for FF) or not (not even talking about crop 645 or FF 645).

I would not be surprised at all in the distant future (or not so distant?) to have a lineup looking like:
* APS : ILC GR-like or Leica-like ---> "quality oriented"
(+ maybe a DSLR body more speed/sport oriented but using mainly legacy and current modern DFA lenses)
* FF: DSLRs
* 645: ILC
if i get my xmas wishes, a limited edition 'pentax 67'-esque mirrorless medium format camera AND a full-frame mirrorless a-la the 'k-1000' will be announced for the anniversary. if those can offer a value set of features (their former corporate m.o.) manage to sell well, another camera geared towards the entry-level mirrorless market that resembles the 'me super' would probably sell like hot cakes.

the real issue they run into is their digital era lenses. they are not really enticing me with anything except the vintage glass... this reality could be spun in a positive manner, i write dramaturgy for a living and i can see the recycling based ad campaign now...
11-14-2018, 08:02 PM - 3 Likes   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
if i get my xmas wishes, a limited edition 'pentax 67'-esque mirrorless medium format camera AND a full-frame mirrorless a-la the 'k-1000' will be announced for the anniversary. if those can offer a value set of features (their former corporate m.o.) manage to sell well, another camera geared towards the entry-level mirrorless market that resembles the 'me super' would probably sell like hot cakes.

the real issue they run into is their digital era lenses. they are not really enticing me with anything except the vintage glass... this reality could be spun in a positive manner, i write dramaturgy for a living and i can see the recycling based ad campaign now...
Just don't wake from your dream and you will be OK!
11-14-2018, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #238
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just don't wake from your dream and you will be OK!
hopefully the 100 year anniversary goes better than the 75th...
Attached Images

11-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #239
Pentaxian

I plead for a LX-D system. With the modular viewfinder concept it could easily be swapped from OVF to mirrorless... no, there are no chances or indications something like this is going to come.
11-15-2018, 12:13 AM   #240
Banned

hopefully the 100 year anniversary goes better than the 75th...
Well that looks like a great anniversary. For Ricoh's 80th anniversary they made a special edition of the GR ii.

So maybe a K-1ii Silver anniversary model. With a very special strap.

Google Image Result for https://www.ricoh-imaging.be/media/8b87b403cfc1520d0e7ca2855b2d85ee/ind_sec1_img.png