Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 11:41 AM - 41 Likes   #1

Visiting Photokina what I learned.

Be happy with the equipment you have, and use it to* the best of your abilities.
Camera envy is for others.
Cut down your visit to the forums as unfortunately there is too much negativity there, use the forum for what you registered for; for advice , exchange of ideas, and inspiration.
The "mirrorless revolution" will continue without you , it is ok to dislike evf.
Therefore, bless Ricoh for their commitment to explore and better DSLR.
When YouTube bloggers going crazy about a feature on a new camera, it might be very different,* when experiencing it first hand.
Photography is very diverse, hope is will stay that way.
A camera is a tool, develop your abilities.
Go to see as many exhbitions of photography as you can.
Gr III is tiny 😉
I love my kp even more then before, and thats a good thing. 😊

09-30-2018, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Great tips. Sometimes you need to stop, take a big breath and enjoy.
09-30-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't disagree. People do get so hung up on incremental features. I think that mirror less technology, it probably where everything will end up (with even better view finders over time) but at the moment there are some advantages to having a mirror too.
Enjoying my K-1 anyway!
09-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All good advice. Thanks for reminding us what really matters. Speaking of new kit I better get out and enjoy the K1 Mark II with the D FA * 50mm.

09-30-2018, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Can't disagree. People do get so hung up on incremental features. I think that mirror less technology, it probably where everything will end up (with even better view finders over time) but at the moment there are some advantages to having a mirror too.
Enjoying my K-1 anyway!
The Mirror is having less and less positives now, EVF tech, see exposure changes as they are being made, On Sensor Phase Detection AF, getting better and better and they can put more points and cover more area than a traditional PDAF sensor so the primary reason for a DSLR which has been the AF tech is disappearing rapidly. The latest Mirrorless systems using a combination of OSPDAF & CDAF are incredible, plus they will keep up at 10fps and more which a DSLR struggles to do.
Honestly, i think Ricoh/Pentax should jump on board with either the Panasonic/Sigma/Leica group or Sony & the FE Mount and launch a mirrorless system that takes advantage of the lenses already out there while developing more for the system.
09-30-2018, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
i think Ricoh/Pentax should jump on board
Far too late to jump into an over saturated market...
09-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Far too late to jump into an over saturated market...
According to the interview they are studying it. There is no evidence that this market has less potential than the DSLR market ..... perhaps the DSLR market is collapsing and the MILC market is growing faster than suppliers are.

Last edited by reh321; 09-30-2018 at 05:51 PM.
09-30-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Honestly, i think Ricoh/Pentax should jump on board with either the Panasonic/Sigma/Leica group or Sony & the FE Mount and launch a mirrorless system that takes advantage of the lenses already out there while developing more for the system.
To me, if they were to jump in, they have to keep the K mount. I compare KP and a7II in store a few time, KP size and weight is not far from a7II. If Pentax can apply their black magic and put FF sensor in KP / K3 size body and keep the K mount, Mirrorless or not, I will be very happy.
If they change mount, it is no point to keep buying Pentax for me
09-30-2018, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, i think Ricoh/Pentax should jump on board
I think the OP is giving a personal view and their thoughts on the ever-changing equipment market and how it relates to their situation. Basically, the sentiment is to not get 'wrapped up' in comparing one's gear to the latest and greatest new shiny stuff that appears regularly in various brands. Unless a person's gear is really unsuited to their photo interests, one can enjoy the hobby (or profession) with their current kit.

I would say that during the past several months -- especially in the more recent several weeks -- I've been thinking along the same lines. Some of the forums that I follow have been frenetic in response to announcements and introductions of new gear from several companies. It seems to me that the new cameras and lenses even prompt angst and self-doubt amongst some folks who already have great gear in certain brands.

A final note on one of my recent personal experiences. At home, we recently had several images printed to fill some blank walls. An image from my K-3 II was printed at 20x30 inches (50x75 cm), and it looks super! Other prints are 16x20 inches, and they also look wonderful. But one of our favourite pictures, also printed at 16x20 inches, was taken in 2011 with my 'old' K-5! I'm pleased with the results that I was able to attain using my knowledge of the gear, my growing photo skills, and a bit of careful post-processing.

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-01-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: tiny typo
09-30-2018, 06:31 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

My dad's old Ricohflex Twin Lens Reflex from 1950 still takes good pictures. Many DSLR shooters with the latest greatest gear still do not. That's my personal observation about the need for the "latest greatest" features.

They are way overblown.

Why is something that's has better bells and whistles worth paying for, if what you have works for you?

And if what you have doesn't work for you, is it you or the gear? With the capabilities of all modern systems, it's going to be a hard sell if you're going to claim it's the gear. Although, maybe 5 times in 10 years I have talked to people who had a legitimate case for expanding their gear. Many, just want something new to play with, and that's not an issue at all. Some of us really like playing with new cameras. For some it's a thing. I'm more interested in the photgraphy thing.

Last edited by normhead; 10-01-2018 at 05:26 AM.
09-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My dad gave me a Kodak Duaflex TLR box camera, which used 620 film; he had originally used it to take snapshots of baby me. It had a fixed shutter-speed of 1/100 and a fixed aperture that appeared to be around f/11. Unfortunately I left it behind on one of our moves, but the last time I used it, it took fine photos as long as I stayed within its limitations ..... but I outgrew those limitations around the time I graduated from college {and I've been periodically outgrowing limitations ever since}.

Last edited by reh321; 09-30-2018 at 07:31 PM.
09-30-2018, 07:32 PM - 4 Likes   #12

If The Eeyores™ around here spent half the time they spend on pontificating why PentaxIsDooomed™ and grandiose schemes on how Ricoh can achieve "Cameras Over the World" (apologies to HG Wells) taking photographs they wouldn't have time to even look at what other companies are doing.

(Ha ha, yet another run-on sentence!)
09-30-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Camera limits are easy to reach, that the first thing kids do when using a camera for the first time. Newer models are worse in a way that they have more and more gadget features that increase the chance of getting it wrong when we gave to desl with other things such as ligthing and subject and framing . More often than not we get back to Av, Tv, raw and spot AF, with all the other features being disabled.
10-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Camera limits are easy to reach, that the first thing kids do when using a camera for the first time. Newer models are worse in a way that they have more and more gadget features that increase the chance of getting it wrong when we gave to desl with other things such as ligthing and subject and framing . More often than not we get back to Av, Tv, raw and spot AF, with all the other features being disabled.
I use TAv much of the times these days when I'm photographing animals.
10-01-2018, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use TAv much of the times these days when I'm photographing animals.
You take pictures? It's hard to find evidence of that.