Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
On several occasions recently I've been in a forested area where I had to choose between an ISO level that would result in noisy photos and a lower ISO that would control noise well but not give me the shutter speed I needed to 'stop' birds and squirrels. Some equipment is still the limiting agent.
Quite true!

Yet in this case, it may the planet Earth (and distance to it's star) and physics of this universe that are the limiting agent. The number of photons per second per square millimeter on that squirrel may be too low to get a short-duration, low-noise sample. Modern cameras really are reaching the limit of what is possible given the typical ambient light levels of photography.

11-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
In contrary, in our case, you can always pay more and get a better sensor which means higher iso performance
11-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photography cameras are usually not designed for night vision and military combat. For night vision and military combat, there are specific equipment more sensitive in low light but not suitable to taking beautiful image in daylight.
Our camera and lenses are designed to deliver good color images of subject revealed under illumination by good quality light source (sun or indirect sun, or flash/strobe with similar spectrum). When photographers reach the limits of their cameras, images are seldom good to see, at least the same image would be a lot better if the lighting conditions would be appropriate to reveal tonalities of the subject, regardless of the camera equipment used. Focusing attention on the limitations of camera equipment is a serious roadblock on the path to getting better images, I saw that issue for myself and many others.
11-15-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Quite true!

Yet in this case, it may the planet Earth (and distance to it's star) and physics of this universe that are the limiting agent. The number of photons per second per square millimeter on that squirrel may be too low to get a short-duration, low-noise sample. Modern cameras really are reaching the limit of what is possible given the typical ambient light levels of photography.
The speed of improvement in cameras and sensors has slowed considerably. At this point, if someone wants a big improvement in low light performance, the best they can do is probably buy a camera with a larger sensor and invest in lenses that have wide apertures and are sharp wide open.

On the other question of a new mount, I really don't think that the issue for Pentax is the specifications of the mount. They could use an existing mount or design one of their own. The bigger issues have to do with them creating a lens line up for this new mount. If you tag on to the Sigma/Leica/Panasonic mount, you certainly would have a lot of Sigma lenses available from the beginning, but I don't see how that helps Pentax. Anyway, I don't suppose it matters. I don't think Pentax is ready to go down the mirrorless rabbit hole. By all accounts they are releasing new K mount SLRs next year.