Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could a Fuji Film Sensor be in Pentax's Future?

Maybe we will see a march back to CCD technology:

Fujifilm announces Super CCD EXR: Digital Photography Review

09-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

Great news for DA glass

I hope so.. Maybe Hoya should make a bid for or merge with Fuji.. Pentax then would have it made.. Top glass from Hoya for it's lenes! Cutting edge sensors APS-C from fuji it would be an all Japaness imaging company. This could be possible since there is talk that fuji might get out of the very crowdered DSLR race.. And just do P&S camera's which Fuji Make the best going around! Pentax is letting go of P&S. HOYA PENTAX FUJI HD corp?

Last edited by PentaxKangaroo; 09-23-2008 at 03:47 PM.
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but read the last paragraph of the following: Fuji promises better than F31 performance: Digital Photography Review

a) Fuji does not plan on using its SuperCCD EXR technology in APS-C-sized sensors, but only in compacts.

b) Fuji does not plan to sell/license the technology to other companies. (As a matter of fact, Thom Hogan says rumors has it Fuji did offer the tech to someone else, but the asking price was way too steep).
02-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Sorry to rain on your parade, but read the last paragraph of the following: Fuji promises better than F31 performance: Digital Photography Review

a) Fuji does not plan on using its SuperCCD EXR technology in APS-C-sized sensors, but only in compacts.

b) Fuji does not plan to sell/license the technology to other companies. (As a matter of fact, Thom Hogan says rumors has it Fuji did offer the tech to someone else, but the asking price was way too steep).
SuperCCD EXR technology in APS-C-sized.. I am sure if Hoya Pentax gave fuji the right $$$ it would be made into APS-C specs. Such a shame to have this tech in a P&S..

02-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Moved to rumours section.
02-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

This Fuji sensor doesn't impress me at all.
I hope the Pentax future will be the black silicon sensor!
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would think that if Fujifilm were in a position to merge or be bought out by anybody it wouldn't be Hoya as Fuji has existing working agreements with Nikon. The S5Pro is basically a Nikon with Fuji guts.

02-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A: No

Q: Could a Fuji Film Sensor be in Pentax's Future?
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
Which so far has proven to be nothing but vaporware.
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree. It should slightly increase color resolution at higher ISO while slightly reduce color resolution at lower ISO. Bottom line: no improvement for DSLR.
Black silicone is no progress either as it only boosts amplification, not quantum efficiency.
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Which so far has proven to be nothing but vaporware.
No, not (necessarily) vaporware but years away from commercial implementation.
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
SuperCCD EXR technology in APS-C-sized.. I am sure if Hoya Pentax gave fuji the right $$$ it would be made into APS-C specs. Such a shame to have this tech in a P&S..
Saw one of the new EXR sensor shots from whatever Fuji compact uses it: great noise levels for a P&S. Horrible, horrible noise levels for an SLR...

Dunno why they use 'em in P&S cams, either. I'll bet you the average P&S buyer neither knows nor cares what the noise is. Most of the P&S owners I know don't even that the photos off the camera.

I imagine Samsung would have something to say about Pentax opting for Fuji sensors. I imagine Fuji would have quite a fight on its hands, convincing Pentax.

I imagine that Fuji would lose, considering Samsung makes FREAKIN' MACHINE GUN-WIELDING ROBOTS.
02-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Saw one of the new EXR sensor shots from whatever Fuji compact uses it: great noise levels for a P&S. Horrible, horrible noise levels for an SLR...
Noise levels are a function of sensor size (among other things) so obviously the noise would be reduced significantly in an APS-C sized EXR sensor. If it's good in a small format, it will be better in a larger format.
02-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Noise levels are a function of sensor size (among other things) so obviously the noise would be reduced significantly in an APS-C sized EXR sensor. If it's good in a small format, it will be better in a larger format.
Almost correct. Noise levels are a function of pixel pitch, I believe. The same EXR sensor in 3 megapixel format would yield vastly superior performance.
02-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Almost correct. Noise levels are a function of pixel pitch, I believe. The same EXR sensor in 3 megapixel format would yield vastly superior performance.
Well, yes, of course. But then you could say it's still a function of sensor size because if you put that 3 megapixel sensor on APS-C it would be even better! So the correct answer, of course, is noise levels are (basically) a function of sensor size and pixel size/pitch.