Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This rumor and/or variations has been floating around for a couple of years now, ever since Zenit started hinting about making cameras again in partnership with established names.

Steve

10-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxtonine Quote
If this is true, would Zenit be likely to make K-mount lenses?
If so, it would not be anything new for them, at least for vanilla K with no contacts. I would not hold my breath until it is clear how good a job they do with modern Canon and Nikon support.

Steve
10-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Why would they go into rangefinder cameras?
A good question since Zenit was SLR and Zorki was rangefinder...The first Zenit SLR was just a Zorki rangefinder with a mirror...
10-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Indeed, like the Nikon F which was basically a Nikon SP with a grafted-on mirror and prism.

10-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's weird rumour. Zenit M will be produced only by limited quantity in 500 pcs. if it would be produced...
I've heard such idea at Russian Penta Club several times - about KMZ and Ricoh cooperation...
But there is no name RICOH in any interview of KMZ's managers.
Is KMZ related to the people who made the Practika?
10-04-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not exactly. The people who made the Praktica cameras were first Kamera Werk, then Pentacon, both based in Dresden, eastern Germany.
10-04-2018, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
But of course I want to control who Pentax does and doesn't work with, so they can stop being DOOMED.

I probably overreacted, but it just rubs me the wrong way to see Pentax involved in a deal to make cameras designed as gifts for oligarchs like the Zenit M was.
Dude, its a deal that might increase Pentax's bottom line, are you mixing politics with business? I see nothing wrong with it at all.

10-04-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Dude, its a deal that might increase Pentax's bottom line, are you mixing politics with business? I see nothing wrong with it at all.
Didn't a bunch of camera makers use the K-mount or rebadge Pentax in the film days? If this can bring forth more exotic glass let it be.
10-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Ricoh won't make a 25mm f2.5 k-mount prime, maybe the Russians will.

But probably not.
10-04-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, not even remotely. Praktica was originally a line of cameras from Kamera-Werkstätten (KW) AG in Dresden. KW had a long history from before World War II. KW was eventually absorbed into what became Pentacon after the war and the creation of the DDR (East Germany). KMZ, on the other hand was originally a Soviet state-owned manufacturer that was created during World War II to make optical devices for the Soviet military. After the war, production shifted to include the FED rangefinder camera (FED factory in Karkov, Ukraine was in ruins) as well as the virtually identical Zorki. The Zorki in its various incarnations continued production until 1980 and boasts one of the largest production numbers (perhaps THE largest) of any camera, ever.* While KMZ did produce Soviet versions of pre-war Zeiss products, those did not include cameras nor any product traceable to KW.

Steve

* The Zorki 4/4K alone accounts for 2.2 million units.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
10-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Didn't a bunch of camera makers use the K-mount or rebadge Pentax in the film days?
There has been a Chinese clone of the K1000, but no outright rebadges that I am aware of. Since the original K mount was not proprietary, many makers have made lenses and cameras to that specification. Those include KMZ which made Zenit SLRs in both Pentax-K and Nikon F mounts.

Steve
10-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #42

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There has been a Chinese clone of the K1000, but no outright rebadges that I am aware of. Since the original K mount was not proprietary, many makers have made lenses and cameras to that specification. Those include KMZ which made Zenit SLRs in both Pentax-K and Nikon F mounts.

Steve
Nikon F (named -H, N in russian) mounts were made by Arsenal in Kiev, never by KMZ, which made only Pentax K.
10-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I find this as ridiculous as the Zenit-m. Why would they go into DSLR's at all?
Maybe they still have a few tonnes of M42 Industar 50-2s lying around, and they need something to put them on...
10-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Hopefully the quality of the 5500 euro camera is better than quality of Lada and GAZ
10-04-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Maybe we will get some Helios classics redone in native K mount.

Well, I hope they leave a tiny bit of grease on the inside like before, so that crazy bokeh remains as the selling feature.