Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think this is cool personally, would love to see this actually happen. Maybe I'd be able to finagle one for myself
If they collaborate, it would likely be an APS-C body and not current tech, perhaps the tooling for the K-S1 or K-S2?

Steve

10-05-2018, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Didn't know that... I thought Missouri had the best petrol prices in the midwest, speaking of trains Glenview is supposed to have some more tracks but the community is against it. In any case I do hope the Russians/Ukrainians/Belorussians make more K mount lenses.
Gasoline is gasoline. Missouri has massive pipeline capacity from the Gulf and Cushing (legacy of the pre-EPA-rules refineries*) and massive storage capacity in the former refinery row, meaning low final transportation cost, and 2nd lowest gasoline taxes in the nation - 19c / gallon. Consequently we enjoy quite low prices at the pump. California by comparison has 55c / gallon tax, plus intermediate production and refining regulations that add cost to the base gasoline price.

* At one time St. Louis and Kansas City metro areas had the second and fifth highest refinery capacities in the USA but but by the 80’s they were quite old, almost all built before WWll. They’ve all closed now due to pollution issues. The Shell Oil refinery (all of them, but I personally know this about Shell) had valves emblazoned with Swastikas, imported from Nazi Germany prior to the war. At the time Germany made the best valves.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-05-2018 at 07:29 PM.
10-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gasoline is gasoline. Missouri has massive pipeline capacity from the Gulf and Cushing (legacy of the pre-EPA-rules refineries*) and massive storage capacity in the former refinery row, meaning low final transportation cost, and 2nd lowest gasoline taxes in the nation - 19c / gallon. Consequently we enjoy quite low prices at the pump. California by comparison has 55c / gallon tax, plus intermediate production and refining regulations that add cost to the base gasoline price.

* At one time St. Louis and Kansas City metro areas had the second and fifth highest refinery capacities in the USA but but by the 80’s they were quite old, almost all built before WWll. They’ve all closed now due to pollution issues. The Shell Oil refinery (all of them, but I personally know this about Shell) had valves emblazoned with Swastikas, imported from Nazi Germany prior to the war. At the time Germany made the best valves.
By the looks of things taxes will go up too...
10-05-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the looks of things taxes will go up too...
Maybe. There’s an increase on the Ballot but the outstate farmers don’t want to pay for city highways, so I doubt it will pass. Missouri is a Balanced Budget State and tax increases must be voted on - Constitutional Amendment - and pretty parsimonious.

10-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #80
Veteran Member

If oil hits $100 a barrel Putin can subsidize Zenit and the lenses will be sold for a song (my Pathfinder is a gas guzzler and a song will I have after filling it)...
Putin can probably buy ricoh out of his pocket to be honest.
10-05-2018, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Putin can probably buy ricoh out of his pocket to be honest.
As long as Sony doesn't buy Pentax the K mount will survive.
10-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #82
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Overhere taxes on gasoline is 4,75 $ per gallon!

10-06-2018, 03:10 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To put it all in perspective.
The oil probably ends in 50 - 100 years, the rest becomes difficult / expensive to extract.
Then the horse and a Carriage probably become plain and cars be unusual.
Intenet probably does not die, so Pentax, in cooperation with Zenit, can sell drawings on film box cameras.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&ua...38907181797074
10-06-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #84
ogl
Banned

it's unreal to produce anything serious at KMZ - no production line, nobody will finance it and no personnel to produce so complex electronic equipment. It's economically unprofitable. No any sense. It's simpler to produce in China, Vietnam or Thailand, Philippines for any world brand photo manufacture. Russia is badland for mass production of electronic equipment and gear. Unreal to combine high technological products and Russian economical conditions. Russia could produce only weapon in good way and with good quality.

Zenit M will be made in Germany. Because, the quality of assembly of KMZ will be very low. No experience, no technology. And I think nobody could assemble such camera at KMZ.

KMZ ceased the production of film cameras many years ago. The quality of cameras 1990-2000 was even worse than in USSR. KMZ never produced digital photo products.
10-06-2018, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
The oil probably ends in 50 - 100 years, the rest becomes difficult / expensive to extract.
Then the horse and a Carriage probably become plain and cars be unusual.
Intenet probably does not die, so Pentax, in cooperation with Zenit, can sell drawings on film box cameras.
To put it all in perspective:
They were saying same kind of thing when I was in college - 50 years ago.
Then price went up.
People found more reserves.
People learned to extract oil from mined 'oil shale'
People learned to extract oil via 'fracking' {which is why trains now carry extracted oil through Chicagoland, because no pipelines to provide needed route}
People learning how to use plants to 'manufacture' artificial oil.

Energy sources even less doomed than Pentax is.

This discussion is detour from topic of thread.
10-06-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the K mount is public domain and has a vast array of legacy lenses still in regular use, there are many pluses for Zenit (KMZ) to attempt to partner with Ricoh/Pentax. But the biggest is their lack of infrastructure or ability to produce quality consumer electronics. Having Ricoh handle the production covers that aspect (just as that have done with Leica).

But yes, this rumor has been floating around the Internet netherworld for a couple of years now.
10-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Since the K mount is public domain and has a vast array of legacy lenses still in regular use, there are many pluses for Zenit (KMZ) to attempt to partner with Ricoh/Pentax. But the biggest is their lack of infrastructure or ability to produce quality consumer electronics. Having Ricoh handle the production covers that aspect (just as that have done with Leica).
As far as I know, only the original K-mount is 'public domain' - the "useful" variants - KA .... KAF4 are proprietary by Pentax - but presumably partnering with Ricoh/Pentax would give them access to design for the later variants.
10-06-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As far as I know, only the original K-mount is 'public domain' - the "useful" variants - KA .... KAF4 are proprietary by Pentax - but presumably partnering with Ricoh/Pentax would give them access to design for the later variants.
KA patents have expired AFAICT.
KAF, KAF2, KAF3 and KAF4 are protected by patents.
10-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
The oil probably ends in 50 - 100 years, the rest becomes difficult / expensive to extract.[/url]
30 years ago I remember predictions that we would run out of oil in 30 yrs. Hmmmmmm what happened??
10-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To put it all in perspective:
They were saying same kind of thing when I was in college - 50 years ago.
Then price went up.
People found more reserves.
People learned to extract oil from mined 'oil shale'
People learned to extract oil via 'fracking' {which is why trains now carry extracted oil through Chicagoland, because no pipelines to provide needed route}
People learning how to use plants to 'manufacture' artificial oil.

Energy sources even less doomed than Pentax is.

This discussion is detour from topic of thread.
Great Points....RE