Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What i think is the camera like K10D 50th anniversary design model but as working display for the anniversary. They may or maynot release a camera except for GRIII.

10-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the K-70 line will become more like the K-3 line and the 35mm full frame will have two, an entry model (to take up the place of flagship aps-c) and a K-1 type top model (they need to generate more sales with all these FF lenses coming out).

The KP being the answer to the retro type look, may or may not survive, could be a one off.

If they are to go mirrorless, it may be with the 645 line, or indeed the K-01 type first to test out the hybrid ovf/evf.

There you have it
10-08-2018, 03:55 AM   #93
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Maybe the K-70 line will become more like the K-3 line and the 35mm full frame will have two, an entry model (to take up the place of flagship aps-c) and a K-1 type top model (they need to generate more sales with all these FF lenses coming out).

The KP being the answer to the retro type look, may or may not survive, could be a one off.

If they are to go mirrorless, it may be with the 645 line, or indeed the K-01 type first to test out the hybrid ovf/evf.

There you have it
The only things I really loved about the KP was the thin body that reminded me at the good old analog days...and the fact that it has the option for interchangeable grips.
You can even mount a custom one, if you are not satisfied...
But spec and build-quality wise(plastic top) it had not much over the K-70... So i really hope they dont bring more of these hot-air cameras.

But THIS THREADS name is actually about what the R02010 codename... and since its known a BJ-11 charger is registered with it... (thats RICOH nomenclature-a Pentax charger would be named BC-11)
I would say its either a new "RICOH WG-X" or a "RICOH CX-Z" or something like that.

I would hope that both, a new WG or a CX will bring us a bigger sensor (1") and 4K Video, whereby if it would be a ricoh CX-something

... it could finally be some kind of equivalent to Sony's RX100 series... BUT finally weathersealed.... Because this is what the market really is missing...
a compact camera with a bigger sensor and retractable high-quality zoom optics .. that is also weathersealed...
no one, i say: NO ONE has something like that on the market by now.
The newest out of Sonys RX10s is weathersealed but it cant be considered compact, since its a rather bulky bridge camera...

The only thing i could think of, that could wear the PENTAX name with this number and come with a charger named BJ-11 would be a PENTAX MX-2 which(most likely) would also be a compact(since digital era MX-1 also was a digital compact). - so they change namings for accessories to ricoh-style, but that is not very likely...
10-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They will keep us guessing

10-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
They will keep us guessing
That is the one thing in this thread that we know for certain.
10-08-2018, 04:46 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
The only things I really loved about the KP was the thin body that reminded me at the good old analog days...and the fact that it has the option for interchangeable grips.
You can even mount a custom one, if you are not satisfied...
But spec and build-quality wise(plastic top) it had not much over the K-70... So i really hope they dont bring more of these hot-air cameras.
One major difference between K-70 and KP: K-70 appears to have same aperture control as K-30/50/S2 while KP has same aperture control as K-7/5/3.
10-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC the planned life of K-1 was 4 years
I had missed that, and this is is good to know - thanks. Looks like the mark II then was right on schedule. Personally, I'm rooting for a new APS-C flagship. Still waiting for the signal from Precision to send in my K-1 for the upgrade. As nothing more than a hobbiest, I can't justify a purchase rate any faster than the current release rate.

10-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #98
Pentaxian

But THIS THREADS name is actually about what the R02010 codename... and since its known a BJ-11 charger is registered with it... (thats RICOH nomenclature-a Pentax charger would be named BC-11)
I would say its either a new "RICOH WG-X" or a "RICOH CX-Z" or something like that.
Do "we" know that BJ-11 is not for the GRiii?
10-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the beauty of Bluetooth, very low battery draw.
I've never looked at the power requirements of a bluetooth chipset and associated hardware but GPS modules have a pretty low draw. For example I have a couple of high end GPS timing modules that I can use as a point of comparison since I am familiar with them. If one is using cheap powered antenna that will eat battery much quicker as a lot of those are in the 20-30ma draw range but one can get some really good passive antennas but they cost about half as much as the GPS module does. So I have 2 $70 GPS modules and 2 $40 passive antennas. Each of my modules has a maximum power draw of 20 milliamps at 3.3v. This seems pretty low and that module could be powered for about a week of continuous use off of the standard Pentax D-LI90 battery:
1850mah@7.2v is about 3700mah@3.3v for the battery (an over estimate but throw in the DC-DC converter that is needed and that is probably pretty close for usable power)
The GPS module has a draw of 20ma
3700mah / 20 ma=185h
185h / 24h= 7.708 days

I did do a quick search and found some bluetooth modules for reference points and it looks like when they are connected and active have draws in the 30ma to 50ma range, when idle and not connected still have a draw in the 12ma-15ma range, and when connected and idle consume from 20ma to 25ma. They also operate at 3.3v so it is a fair comparison. So you save a bit when they are on but not connected, are a about the same or a bit worse when connected but not doing anything, and consume 50% to 150% more power than my existing old timing GPS modules when transmitting data. I don't know if these are representative values but they don't seem unreasonable.
10-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
One major difference between K-70 and KP: K-70 appears to have same aperture control as K-30/50/S2 while KP has same aperture control as K-7/5/3.
???

I believe it is assumed that the K-70 uses the traditional aperture control block and that the KP shares its mechanism with the K-3, K-3II, and K-1. I don't know that there has been a published tear-down of either model to confirm.

Steve
10-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The BJ-11 charger was registered back in June 2018. It is not part of the recent R 02010 registration for Bluetooth device. Both are listed under Ricoh on Nokishita's page, but the two are distinct and separate (different set of bullet points) with the BJ-11 having been rumored to be linked to the GRIII. Of course, time will tell.

New Ricoh BJ-11 battery charger registered in South Korea (for the new GR?) - Pentax Rumors

It would be helpful if Nokishita would provide the registration references cited (usually Malaysia and S. Korea). IIRC, the battery charger was in Malaysia and the camera in Korea.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-08-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
10-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #102
Pentaxian

A new charger is needed, as the GR III is supposed to use a different battery.
10-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Yes, a new battery, and a new plug USB-C, a charger with Power Delivery is likely one of the consequences.
10-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
???

I believe it is assumed that the K-70 uses the traditional aperture control block and that the KP shares its mechanism with the K-3, K-3II, and K-1. I don't know that there has been a published tear-down of either model to confirm.

Steve
If I recall correctly, Pentax confirmed that KP aperture control is different from K-30/50/S2 control - they didn't specifically say it was from K-7/5/3, but I doubt if it is an entirely new one.
Pentax may have artfully avoided answering the question with respect to K-70.
10-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #105

The charger could be registered for purely regulatory (safety) certification purposes. See all the logo/stamps on the bottom label. They would need to do this in order to ship and sell it to a country. Doesn't mean any new features are added over the older model.