Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #31

Bluetooth for video streams and file transfers. Could be pairing it with NFC. NFC is on the K-S2. Improved ImageSync app?

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.
10-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm puzzled why Bluetooth connectivity is needed for a DSLR, unless it is to replace IR remotes. Bandwidth is far too slow for tethering at any range and the tradeoff to increase the range is to reduce bandwidth. The primary benefits of Bluetooth are low power consumption and making quick connections, although IR remotes beat Bluetooth in both categories.
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Cordless Headphones?

To be honest, I had the same question. Bluetooth is great for control functions and audio streaming, but has poor bandwidth (~2 Mbit/s, burst for v5 ~800Kbit/s more typically) and would be useless of any kind of remote tether beyond camera control; ditto for image transfer.

Steve
10-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

What's all the fuss about? It's just an old camera from 2010. LOL

10-05-2018, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RO Roy Orbison died 23 years before 2010.
23 degrees is the tropics of Capricorn and cancer which are in the zodiac.
Mark Ruffalo was in Zodiac and Avengers, Infinity Wars with Stan Lee.
Stan Lee was also in Robot Chicken with Kevin Bacon.
BOOM!
did I figure it out?

10-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yes, it was.

Some people even deciphered the R01010 codename as follows:
  • R for Royal when K is for King
  • then 0 = space/hyphen
  • then 1
  • then 0 = space/hyphen
  • then 10 = 2 in binary
hence R01010 <==> K-1 II.
Got it so it's a K

Then 02

Space

10 = 2

K02 mark II!

Wait that doesn't work
10-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R02010 is not binary, therefore it can't work.
10-05-2018, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
K02 mark II!
The mark-1 prototype obviously having been destroyed in a fire of suspicious origin.

Steve

10-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The mark-1 prototype obviously having been destroyed in a fire of suspicious origin.

Steve
...or being the Zenit K.
10-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...or being the Zenit K.
Spy photo...

Steve

(...apologies to sovietcams.com for lifting their photo...)
10-05-2018, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Beluga.
10-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
^^^ Beluga.
...after the fire...

Steve
10-05-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

To be honest, I had the same question. Bluetooth is great for control functions and audio streaming, but has poor bandwidth (~2 Mbit/s, burst for v5 ~800Kbit/s more typically) and would be useless of any kind of remote tether beyond camera control; ditto for image transfer.

Steve
Since as far back as Bluetooth 3.0, there has been an "HS" high-speed mode that allows low-power Bluetooth connections to leverage an 802.11 (WiFi) radio for high speed data transmission. This would be a good model for camera tethering in my opinion -- use a variant of BT for camera control (and preserve better battery life) and fire up ad-hoc point-to-point HS transfers using the WiFi radio only when needed.

I don't know if many devices actually implement this, but Apple's "AirDrop" does something very similar -- Bluetooth to set up a direct link, then WiFi for the payload. In my experience it's very fast between a MacBook and an iPhone.
10-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I'm puzzled why Bluetooth connectivity is needed for a DSLR, unless it is to replace IR remotes. Bandwidth is far too slow for tethering at any range and the tradeoff to increase the range is to reduce bandwidth. The primary benefits of Bluetooth are low power consumption and making quick connections, although IR remotes beat Bluetooth in both categories.
It seems that the trend is moving away from having GPS modules in the camera, and putting that functionality as part of everyone's ubiquitous mobile/cell phone. Using BluTooth allows for a relatively easy way to interface external GPS and do additional functions.

It would also not surprise me if audio monitoring or recording was done via Bluetooth. Since to my knowledge that functionality does not exist in any other camera manufacturer natively, it might be a way for Pentax/Ricoh to differentiate the camera from the others.

The Sony MI shoe, is an excellent example of an interface that can be used for flash, and other "smart" devices.

Since GPS modules are usually put under the Hot Shoe, and require a plastic/composite cover, that would lend more credence to the GPS going BlueTooth and making room for something different under the hot shoe.
10-05-2018, 10:54 AM - 4 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Codename: Wild Speculations
10-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Using BluTooth allows for a relatively easy way to interface external GPS and do additional functions.
While interesting it seems like something that would be trading one battery eating option for another for no real gain. Also by putting that outside of the camera and not as a hot shoe accessory you would lose one of the unique features of Pentax cameras which is the astrotracer.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The Sony MI shoe, is an excellent example of an interface that can be used for flash, and other "smart" devices.
This would make more sense but I do wonder what other smart sensors one would want to use beyond a flash or mic.