Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
While interesting it seems like something that would be trading one battery eating option for another for no real gain.
That is the beauty of Bluetooth, very low battery draw.

Steve

10-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Also by putting that outside of the camera and not as a hot shoe accessory you would lose one of the unique features of Pentax cameras which is the astrotracer.
good point (as far as I understand things, at least)

Also - I wouldn't want GPS outsourced to my phone anyway - I find it far to useful when travelling to risk it being non-integral
10-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Since to my knowledge that functionality does not exist in any other camera manufacturer natively, it might be a way for Pentax/Ricoh to differentiate the camera from the others.
I can't read Japanese and I don't find Google Translate that useful for technical information, but the Nokishita link in the original post also lists P&S models from Nikon and Sony that were registered for 2.4 Mhz Wifi and Bluetooth, so Ricoh won't be alone if this is what the Bluetooth radio is intended for. NFC seems to have made a very tiny splash since it first appeared on Samsung phones in 2010, using Bluetooth to accomplish the same thing as NFC would have wider application and eliminate the need to have your devices almost kiss to make a connection.
10-05-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I can't read Japanese and I don't find Google Translate that useful for technical information, but the Nokishita link in the original post also lists P&S models from Nikon and Sony that were registered for 2.4 Mhz Wifi and Bluetooth, so Ricoh won't be alone if this is what the Bluetooth radio is intended for. NFC seems to have made a very tiny splash since it first appeared on Samsung phones in 2010, using Bluetooth to accomplish the same thing as NFC would have wider application and eliminate the need to have your devices almost kiss to make a connection.
If they're referencing point & shoot cameras from Nikon and Sony, then this could easily be for the GRRRR ..... in other words, this registration is a non-event.

10-05-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Product Code Numbering protocol???

New Pentax Brand camera = R01010
New Ricoh Brand camera = R02010
————
New Pentax Brand camera = R01011
New Ricoh Brand camera = R02011

????????

I know nothing. Just thinking out loud.
10-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #51

Nikon has had Bluetooth with their SnapBridge app for a couple years now. The Z6/7 have it. So do the D500, D3400, D3500, D5600, D7500, D850, as well as several bridge and compact cameras. Some people are always say Pentax/Ricoh needs to do everything that Nikon/Canon does. There you go.
10-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It seems that the trend is moving away from having GPS modules in the camera, and putting that functionality as part of everyone's ubiquitous mobile/cell phone. Using BluTooth allows for a relatively easy way to interface external GPS and do additional functions.

It would also not surprise me if audio monitoring or recording was done via Bluetooth. Since to my knowledge that functionality does not exist in any other camera manufacturer natively, it might be a way for Pentax/Ricoh to differentiate the camera from the others.

The Sony MI shoe, is an excellent example of an interface that can be used for flash, and other "smart" devices.

Since GPS modules are usually put under the Hot Shoe, and require a plastic/composite cover, that would lend more credence to the GPS going BlueTooth and making room for something different under the hot shoe.
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
good point (as far as I understand things, at least)

Also - I wouldn't want GPS outsourced to my phone anyway - I find it far to useful when travelling to risk it being non-integral
no real professional outdoor photographer would use a phone to do that. but there is still an option even without actually connecting a gps trackin device to the camera.
pull of recording file from device to the pc. when importing photos into LR, just select the gps file and it will sync with the time-data while importing them.

Garmin and loads of other makers have a multitude of dedicated devices that can do even more for you outdoors, than just recording your absolute exact position.

I think, that integrating extras like connectivity ports and modules or even additional card-slots into a Battery-Grip would make much more sense, for people who sincerely wish to add this or that to their cameras.

10-05-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
no real professional outdoor photographer would use a phone to do that. but there is still an option even without actually connecting a gps trackin device to the camera.
pull of recording file from device to the pc. when importing photos into LR, just select the gps file and it will sync with the time-data while importing them.

Garmin and loads of other makers have a multitude of dedicated devices that can do even more for you outdoors, than just recording your absolute exact position.

I think, that integrating extras like connectivity ports and modules or even additional card-slots into a Battery-Grip would make much more sense, for people who sincerely wish to add this or that to their cameras.
The original question is which camera is referenced in this registration.

My opinion is that this applies to the already-announced GRiii, in which case there would be no battery grip.
10-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this mob say it is a K-70 successor
Pentax K70 Successor Coming on January 2019 [Rumor] « NEW CAMERA
10-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
QuoteQuote:
Now, According to latest set of unconfirmed reports surfaced over the web, Pentax is rumored to announce Pentax next flaghip APS-C camera. Possibly, the successor of K70. Expected arrival time of Pentax K70 successor is on or before Jan 2018.
Somebody stayed up too late the night before...

Steve

(...Flagship = K-70 successor on or before Jan of this year...)
10-05-2018, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Ahem!...
QuoteOriginally posted by New Camera:
Pentax is rumored to announce Pentax next flagship APS-C camera. Possibly, the successor of K70. Expected arrival time of Pentax K70 successor is on or before Jan 2019.
People in Pentaxland were already upset that the KP would be the new APS-C flagship. If the K-70 successor becomes the highest positioned APS-C camera (I dare not say flagship) the Kumamoto earthquake will look harmless in comparison to people's reaction...
10-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
If the K-70 successor becomes the highest positioned APS-C camera (I dare not say flagship) the Kumamoto earthquake will look harmless in comparison to people's reaction...
absolutely they will hear me and others across the seas
10-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Looks like it'll be something new,K-999 i'll guess.
10-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #59
ogl
Banned

Ahem!...

People in Pentaxland were already upset that the KP would be the new APS-C flagship. If the K-70 successor becomes the highest positioned APS-C camera (I dare not say flagship) the Kumamoto earthquake will look harmless in comparison to people's reaction...
K-70 was never flagship camera...
10-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-70 was never flagship camera...
That was the point of the comment you were reacting to. When the K-1 was constructed, Pentax may have expected all the 'top' users to use the K-1, and for the KP to be the 'top' APS-C camera ,,,, which upset various people who wanted a better APS-C camera. Now, this article seems to be saying that a K-70 replacement, a bottom-level camera, would become the 'top' APS-C camera .... which would upset lots and lots of folk, who want to stay with APS-C..