Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amcinroy Quote
Round filters are useless as split ND grads.
I believe you
Don't worry, be happy.
I'm only kidding about photoshop

09-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Sigh,

You guys are not getting it.

Round filters are fine. But adapters rings for filter systems cannot sit flush with the end of this lens.

Round filters are useless as split ND grads.
Perhaps we should just wait until someone does an "hands on" review or until they are on the market instead of jumping to bummed out conclusions.

Jason
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like the FA77, just remove the filter rim then you can extract the hood easily. It is a reversable surgury.
09-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Dan
Pentaxian

Simple Solution

A simple solution would be to use an empty filter ring as an extender. It looks like one thick filter ring--or one thick and one thin ring--would be sufficient to raise the adapter above the protuding tabs. Vignetting should not be a problem with this setup, as is apparent from considering the depth of the shade when extended.

Dan

It will if you are using a square filter system (Lee, Cokin etc) where the adapter ring has to sit flush with the barrel.

09-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
A simple solution would be to use an empty filter ring as an extender. It looks like one thick filter ring--or one thick and one thin ring--would be sufficient to raise the adapter above the protuding tabs. Vignetting should not be a problem with this setup, as is apparent from considering the depth of the shade when extended.

Dan
Exactly what I thought.
09-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I like this kind of hood

I hate screw on hoods, apart from short ones like the DA21. What is the point in a pancake lens if

a) There is a big lens hood on it, so its no longer pancake
b) you have to faff with screwing on a lens hood.

Doesn't fit with the small, light little package philosophy of limiteds for me. I like the retrostyle lens hoods that pentax puts on them. Modern lens hoods really annoy me (well OK my tokina 300mm f2.8 needs a big screw on lens hood, but thats a bit different).

I do see the square filter thing. However, surely they assume landscape photographers will go for the 14mm?

Also, I can't be bothered with square filter holders. I just hold my (admittedly cheap Cokin) ND grad in front of the lens. I've seen some people say they stick it on with blue tac.

Lenses are always about compromise. I personally am drooling at this lens.
09-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #22

I think all you'd have to do is use an 'empty' filter or two, to get out past the end of the little parts from the integrated hood. I recall reading that is how the cokin type filter system is currently used with the 31mm Ltd. (By empty, I mean some cheap XXmm filter with the glass busted out of it.)

09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #23
MrA

Is there any kind of ETA on this lens, or possible price bracket. It's got me pondering it as an alternative to my current aspiration, which is Sigma 10-20 (or similar), for the portability factor.
09-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think it looks beautiful... Can't wait to get one.
09-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Andy,
the DA* zooms saw several versions, before they finally hit the streets. Maybe the same will be the case for the 15 lmt.

Else Lance did this, on the 31 mm :

And here are more from him :
Camera Gear Photo Gallery by Lance Blackburn at pbase.com

So hopefully, you’ll be able to do some magic with the new wide-angle prime as well.
09-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah, this was initially started by Darren M. The glass was knocked out of the filter and these cheap filters were only 2 dollar each.
09-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Veteran Member

just hope adding more rings in front won't cause vignetting.. I added a UV filter and then a CPL on my 12-24, vignetting already show in the viewfinder.. it only let me put one filter on... so don't know if it will happen to DA 15
09-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #28
Damn Brit

It must be removable, what happens if the hood breaks? Sounds more expensive to resolve than a screw on hood.
09-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I use Photoshop CS3, don't need filters like that.
Understand what you're saying... it could be a problem.
The K20d and k200d also has some built in digital filter systems.
09-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zenitar owners face a similar problem with filters except that there is not even the option for screw-in round filters, much less the square type. The solutions have ranged from rigging a slide-on piece that slips over the outside of the hood to removal of the hood altogether and substituting a jury-rigged replacement.

It would be nice if Pentax could provide an add-on solution.

Steve