Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, the astro shots aren't that great - mostly because the stars are out of focus or showing motion blur (no astro-tracer ) - but anything that encourages people to buy the lens is good for RI - either because of revenue or, for those in the know, reputation.

10-12-2018, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I could confirm that dfa* 50 has some coma issue mostly in the corners wide open that practically dissapears at f2.8-3.2.
When using the naming conventions used here I'd say that the lens shows no comatic aberrations, no tangential astigmatism and mild sagittal astigmatism.

The Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art shows about the same mild sagittal astigmatism plus some mild external comatic aberrrations.

I am quite sure that none of those two portrait lenses have been designed with any focus on astrophotography and quite rightfully so.
10-12-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am trying to figure out what he was trying to achieve with this image but I just don't get it. Star bokeh, meh.

No fault of the lens, I suppose.

10-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I am trying to figure out what he was trying to achieve with this image but I just don't get it. Star bokeh, meh.

I like it.

10-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
When using the naming conventions used here I'd say that the lens shows no comatic aberrations, no tangential astigmatism and mild sagittal astigmatism.
Thank you for that link. It’s always good to take a refresher on these things, if, like me, you haven’t been involved in an area of study for a while. Perhaps we can persuade an owner of either lens to subject it to the test chart referenced in the article, and settle the debate about aberrations.
10-12-2018, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Perhaps we can persuade an owner of either lens to subject it to the test chart referenced in the article, and settle the debate about aberrations.
I know for a fact that the upcoming PF review of the lens will have a section on aberrations with sample images.

The "settle the debate" thing won't ever work, because you'll always find one poor guy on the internet who claims to need "more / better" for his super specific personal wishlist.
I could easily name you three "poor quality" aspects of every lens ever manufactured on this planet if I was in that trolling state of mind.
10-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I could confirm that dfa* 50 has some coma issue mostly in the corners wide open that practically dissapears at f2.8-3.2.
could you post some samples at f2.8-f4

I've been looking forever for some samples

10-13-2018, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

That was one of my fav of the photos. Wonderful colors and bokeh balls with focus on the church/cathedral bell tower. That's nice.

He explains what he was doing though right above the very photo: "Bokeh is round and beautiful and exactly what you would expect from a premium f/1.4 lens."

Why do we tear down people's photos so hastily?
12-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I have an MTF chart question. Does anyone know why the Pentax one and Tokina one differ so much here:

HD Pentax-D FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Lens Review
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF Review
12-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I have an MTF chart question. Does anyone know why the Pentax one and Tokina one differ so much here:

HD Pentax-D FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Lens Review
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF Review
Different cameras and lens copy variation?

The Pentax version is stellar from wide open, while the Tokina not quite as good. The other thing is that CAs are significantly less on the Tokina version.

I guess this begs the question of Pentax is building the Tokina and they are just rebadging it or if Tokina is building their own based on Pentax's optical formula.
12-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Testing variation is also a possibility.
I'd rather think of a combination of factors.
12-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #27

Tokina is using their own lens coatings. That's the one things lens manufacturers don't share with each other without you knowing it.

12-14-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Tokina is using their own lens coatings. That's the one things lens manufacturers don't share with each other without you knowing it.
Tokina for years used very "specific" coating tech that one will immediately hate or just pass by and don't care;] I dunno about those used on Opera, but ATX-Pro series got coating protection worse than Bayonet Takumars from 40 years ago IMO. Still, their lenses tend to be extreme sharp, if maintained correctly. Build quality is also very good.