Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guy says he hasn't taken his Tokina Opera off his D850 in 3 months

All that Nikon glass & yet the chosen one has Pentax pedigree. Hope Tokina is churning these out in the Z-mount.

Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF full frame DSLR lens review - Nikon Rumors

10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Angle of view 470, unless I am being dim makes that a great fish eye.
10-11-2018, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was a nice review. But a little unsurprising given that he's a tokina ambassador
10-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I've gotten to picky with some Rokinon lenses having almost no coma/astigmatism for astrophotography, but I think the Pentax/Tokina 50 isn't great at all, at least not wide open. I'd love to see some examples stopped down to f2.8-4

10-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A lot of banter was very dismissive of this lens on another forum. I think this lens will be a hit with those who purchase it.
10-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is it just me? i wasn't at all impressed with the astro shots.
10-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Is it just me? i wasn't at all impressed with the astro shots.
Neither was I, it might be great during the day, and for other night time shots like light streaks on a highway ect, but it doesn't handle stars well at all. At least not wide open, which isn't a bad thing if it performs better at f2.8 or 3.5 but I have been having troubles finding samples with those settings. Maybe I'll email Pentax to borrow a copy haha

10-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone posted wide-open astro shots with the D FA*50/1.4? A difference in coatings shouldn’t make any difference to coma or astigmatism, so if the Pentax version looks OK, then the pre-production sample the writer had might have an alignment issue.

PS – stopping down should alleviate both those conditions, nonetheless.
10-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had a lens like that, had to send the whole thing in for repair.
10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Has anyone posted wide-open astro shots with the D FA*50/1.4? A difference in coatings shouldn’t make any difference to coma or astigmatism, so if the Pentax version looks OK, then the pre-production sample the writer had might have an alignment issue.

PS – stopping down should alleviate both those conditions, nonetheless.
I've never heard that coatings effect coma, I'm under the impression it's purely a optical distortion. Also the op linked to photos taken with the lens wide open and it displays quite a bit of coma. In fact I think it would still be visable in aps-c as well wide open. There are couple posts as well in the lens groups of the 50 displaying it's coma.
10-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I've never heard that coatings effect coma, I'm under the impression it's purely a optical distortion. Also the op linked to photos taken with the lens wide open and it displays quite a bit of coma. In fact I think it would still be visable in aps-c as well wide open. There are couple posts as well in the lens groups of the 50 displaying it's coma.
We’re in agreement, then. I’d have thought that someone here might have posted some astro photos with the D FA*50/1.4 wide open, by now. That might settle whether this is a design issue or a sample variation issue.

Edit: Did you mean there were some posts here with the Pentax version?
10-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

We’re in agreement, then. I’d have thought that someone here might have posted some astro photos with the D FA*50/1.4 wide open, by now. That might settle whether this is a design issue or a sample variation issue.

Yes here HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 50mm SDM AW - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
10-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK. I missed those shots, thanks. Some noticeable CA (on one side of the objects, so I assume it's not PF) but possible aberrations seem confined to brighter objects, where I guess they'd be more noticeable, anyway. I've not done any astronomy in decades, so I'm just starting to think about these things again.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 10-11-2018 at 11:39 PM.
10-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
Angle of view 470, unless I am being dim makes that a great fish eye.
That was 47 degrees, that font renders the degrees symbol quite poorly.

To the review in particular, I know a few people who exclusively use 50mm 1.4 lenses in Nikon D850's for some reason. There's some quite nice shots in that review.
10-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I could confirm that dfa* 50 has some coma issue mostly in the corners wide open that practically dissapears at f2.8-3.2.