Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Your Best Photo+: RICOH IMAGING has renewed the condition of “Your best photo”.

Originally, “Your best photo” is a project that showcases the best photo collected from Japanese users in camera stores in Japan. RICOH IMAGING has recently renewed the condition of this project. "Your Best Photo+", the new project, will now accept the worldwide submissions. The accepted work will be displayed on the official website, stores, as well as social networking sites. Unfortunately, the submissions are restricted to only a small number of Pentax camera bodies and lenses. One must use either a body from the list, a lens from the list or a combination of both to be qualified.

More information can be found in the following link:
Your Best Photo+

Although broadening the scope of the project to accept work globally is considered a step moving forward, it would be better if the project allows a wider range of camera and lenses. Even the D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR and all of DA* series lenses are excluded from the list.

Last edited by parinya-ekparinya; 10-15-2018 at 05:47 PM.
10-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own a single supported lens. They want me to spend a lot of money to submit work, for which I won't be paid. I do own a 21 ltd. but since I bought the K-1 I don't use it much,. Also, the K-1 is the only eligible camera I own, so I guess I could submit 21 ltd images taken in crop mode.

Also of interest, there are no flagship APS-c models listed. That's just odd.

I guess they are only taking images taken with premium gear in the current catalogue.

It does speak to the fact that Pentax doesn't really want to sell the 28-105. It's obviously a crumb tossed out there to draw people in to the store, and give salesmen a chance to upsell. I can hear the store dudes now, "Hey we don't have any images taken with the DFA 28-105, but look at these images taken with the 24-70." I see how this works.

The contest speaks to the current Pentax mindset. "Sell fewer lenses of higher quality for better profit margins."

Last edited by normhead; 10-12-2018 at 07:32 AM.
10-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't own a single supported lens.
Me neither.
10-12-2018, 08:11 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I read that to mean that you had to use either one of those cameras, one of those lenses or both. I looked at the submission form and there is an "other" option under both the camera and the lens lists. It states that if "other" is selected for both entries that the submission will be ineligible. So it looks like you could for example use a K3 with any of the eligible lenses or say a K1 with any other lens whether its on the list or not.

10-12-2018, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I read that to mean that you had to use either one of those cameras, one of those lenses or both. I looked at the submission form and there is an "other" option under both the camera and the lens lists. It states that if "other" is selected for both entries that the submission will be ineligible. So it looks like you could for example use a K3 with any of the eligible lenses or say a K1 with any other lens whether its on the list or not.
That is how I read it too. k1 plus an old milk bottle would qualify
10-12-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That is how I read it too. k1 plus an old milk bottle would qualify
I hope that wouldn't truly be your 'best photo', though.
10-12-2018, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parinya-ekparinya Quote
Originally, “Your best photo” is a project that showcases the best photo collected from Japanese users in camera stores in Japan. RICOH IMAGING has recently renewed the condition of this project. "Your Best Photo+", the new project, will now accept the worldwide submissions. The accepted work will be displayed on the official website, stores, as well as social networking sites. Unfortunately, the submissions are restricted to limited combinations of Pentax camera bodies and lenses.

More information can be found in the following link:
Your Best Photo+

Although broadening the scope of the project to accept work globally is considered a step moving forward, it would be better if the project allows a wider range of camera and lenses. Even the D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR and all of DA* series lenses are excluded from the list.
"Furthermore, Ricoh Imaging shall be allowed to use the submitted work free of charge." Pfft! Perhaps when I get to use cameras and lenses from Ricoh without paying for them . . .

10-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It can't just be about cost, my DFA 150-450mm is not on the list, nor my DA*300mm... the only lens I have to qualify is my recently acquired FA77mm which I haven't had a whole lot of time to use yet.
Well phooey! Maybe it's more about inventory or production levels...
Eric
10-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting cross section of companies involved, in a way; products from the Asahi, Hoya, and Ricoh days all on that list.

Closest I get to having any of those products is my SMC DA 15 which still doesn't quite qualify.
10-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #10

It does speak to the fact that Pentax doesn't really want to sell the 28-105. It's obviously a crumb tossed out there to draw people in to the store, and give salesmen a chance to upsell. I can hear the store dudes now, "Hey we don't have any images taken with the DFA 28-105, but look at these images taken with the 24-70." I see how this works.

The contest speaks to the current Pentax mindset. "Sell fewer lenses of higher quality for better profit margins."
That lens is something like $250 when you buy a new camera. I find also that it isn't really that sharp a lens. It has nice colouring, I'll give it that.
10-12-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I don't own a single supported lens. They want me to spend a lot of money to submit work, for which I won't be paid. I do own a 21 ltd. but since I bought the K-1 I don't use it much,. Also, the K-1 is the only eligible camera I own, so I guess I could submit 21 ltd images taken in crop mode.

Also of interest, there are no flagship APS-c models listed. That's just odd.

I guess they are only taking images taken with premium gear in the current catalogue.
Pentax has said they plan to focus on premium products.
10-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Reading it again, you are right. Either a camera or a lens alone would be qualified for the submission. Still, I do not own one of those camera bodies. I do own 3 limited lenses, but they are all SMC versions.

---------- Post added 10-12-18 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
It can't just be about cost, my DFA 150-450mm is not on the list, nor my DA*300mm... the only lens I have to qualify is my recently acquired FA77mm which I haven't had a whole lot of time to use yet.
Well phooey! Maybe it's more about inventory or production levels...
Eric
I was wondering about that too. How people are going to shoot the bird in flight without a long telephoto lens?
10-12-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it's that surprising to think that Ricoh would want to show off current production items. Meaning, HD versions of lenses that have HD versions instead of the earlier SMC versions (even if the SMC version is "better" like the DA 15 situation...). I don't really understand why they don't open it up to all current lenses.

And someone here says the 28-105 doesn't produce sharp images? I thought that was something this lens was very capable of. It seems very good from here.
10-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own a single supported lens.
I do own one lens but I'll have to buy a new camera to Enter this contest.
10-12-2018, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I don't submit work to those who don't pay me if they use it... so that ends it right there.