Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I reckon some of the objection to Ricoh using any submitted images is a bit over-wrought. In the first instance, we all “submit” images that other people can use (albeit without authorisation) from here and other image-posting websites. At least we know someone who’s using them if we submit them to Ricoh. Whether or not they control downloads I’m uncertain. Those of us who make a living from our photos will understandably be hesitant about submitting any of those for Ricoh to use as they want, but I doubt that the marketing channels are the same. If you sell printed copies through physical display, your customers are likely not going to be the same as those who look online and buy. In the case of the latter, people who pay serious money for a print won’t be looking for a low-resolution image pirated from Ricoh’s (or this) website. If you read Ricoh’s conditions, you’ll see that submitted images have to be no bigger than 2,000 pixels on the long side, using sRGB colour space – hardly the best for any decent-sized printed image.

Probably more importantly, though, is the fact that we all (maybe most of us, our pet Jeremiahs possibly excepted) want Ricoh to succeed with Pentax, and many of us consciously fight their corner in various forums. I don’t see how this is substantially different.

10-12-2018, 04:10 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
In the first instance, we all “submit” images that other people can use (albeit without authorisation) from here and other image-posting websites.
Actually I do not submit images anywhere as you described. I stopped posting images here long ago, and I stopped posting images on Facebook long before that. And I decided from Day One not to join Instagram for the same underlying reasons. I only post images on my website; I post links to my images occasionally on Facebook (but I have come to dislike Facebook and haven't posted much there in the past year.) Many photographers do not post their images on social media and the like, and there have been many articles written against the idea of allowing publishers of various sorts to publish your images "for exposure" or "on spec."

This is a personal preference decision and if another person feels 180 degrees differently that's fine with me. There are good arguments for both approaches; each person just has to pick what makes sense for her or him. Photographers who chose no to let their work out for free, however, are not overwrought in their decisions. Here are an article and a video that address both perspectives:

Licensing Images For Free Usage: Why Thousands of Photographers Are Choosing Exposure Over Money | Fstoppers

This is How People in Other Industries Respond When Asked for Free Spec Work

FYI: this is written in a friendly tone
10-12-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So sad that I own none of the cameras listed and my best work to date has been done with other than the lenses listed.. Sad too that I won't likely submit "My Best Photo" without compensation. After all, it is a contest of sorts, right?

Steve

(...not willing to grant other than limited license unless richly compensated...not that my stuff is so hot, but simply because this boy's momma did not raise no fool...)

(...was once approached by a book publisher who wished to use one of my vintage photos of the Mt. St. Helens blast zone from when the area was first opened again to the public. The photo was to be used on a full-page section divider with compensation limited to an acknowledgement in the appendix. Sale price for the book was slated in the range of $200/copy...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-12-2018 at 07:57 PM.
10-12-2018, 05:09 PM - 9 Likes   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

I entered this about 5 years ago and got selected for a photo I took with my K-01 / FA 100-300. At that time you got 5,000 yen Ricoh store credit (around USD 50) for having a photo selected - a fairly trivial amount. Since the camera was already out, the photo was not used in any promotional materials, but they showed all the winners at CP+ 2013. It's the reason I started going there as a matter of fact. Then the photos were shown in the Shinjuku and Ginza Ricoh Imaging showrooms and some kind of web slideshow.

This is the photo. What makes the photo is the clearly defined silhouette of the hilltops with the trees and villages, and for some reason they don't look well defined after uploading here. It looked a lot better printed at A3 size.

For me I have no interest in commercial photography or making a name for myself. I was just curious to see if my photo would be accepted and chosen, so I was really happy. Also, It gave me a bit of a "way in" to chat to the Ricoh guys at the show, and because I had to sign up to get my store credit, I ended up getting regular communications from Ricoh. So I guess in that sense it made me more engaged with the company.

I never mentioned this contest on the forum before, because I thought it would just annoy people that it was limited to Japan, and result in people saying that Ricoh is too Japan-centric. Now they are making it global, and it seems like people are annoyed anyway. Never mind.

10-12-2018, 05:55 PM - 5 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't own a single supported lens. They want me to spend a lot of money to submit work, for which I won't be paid. I do own a 21 ltd. but since I bought the K-1 I don't use it much,. Also, the K-1 is the only eligible camera I own, so I guess I could submit 21 ltd images taken in crop mode.

Also of interest, there are no flagship APS-c models listed. That's just odd.

I guess they are only taking images taken with premium gear in the current catalogue.

It does speak to the fact that Pentax doesn't really want to sell the 28-105. It's obviously a crumb tossed out there to draw people in to the store, and give salesmen a chance to upsell. I can hear the store dudes now, "Hey we don't have any images taken with the DFA 28-105, but look at these images taken with the 24-70." I see how this works.

The contest speaks to the current Pentax mindset. "Sell fewer lenses of higher quality for better profit margins."
I offer another take.

It isn’t a contest. They want to sell stuff. Actually, we want them to sell stuff too. I say, good for them!!

Maybe it is the first step in building a ‘Pentax is Cool’ identity group such as BMW did with the Mini car. Regular people driving their everyday Mini’s at fun events, incidentally filmed for Mini promotions. They’re always smiling. They feature old Mini Coopers in their ads ONLY as the heritage the cool new cars draw on - but - they only show people driving current cars. They also feature highly dressed models, not low-end consumer cars in the promotional part of the advertisements. Mini owners often wave at each other in traffic. It’s aCult!!

AFA the speculative dark impulse of Pentax negative intentions and advantage taking . . .
  1. There is no flagship APSc camera in the current catalog, but KP is included, and K-70. 645z isn’t represented. Why not! Maybe they’re going to replace it !!! Infamy! Evil Hocir! Bad Hocir!
  2. All the lenses currently on the list are core lenses that Ricoh might intend to continue offering in the catalog. Lenses not on the list could be on a replacement / termination / upgrade schedule. That might be hard to imagine for the D FA28~105, DA*200/2.8 and DA*300/2.8 unless they would be planned for replacement with - say - GOOD lenses like a D FA24~105, D FA*200/2.8 and D FA*300/2.8. Obviously Ricoh is some kind of horrible profit seeking corporate sty on the backs of the world’s gentle photographers. Infamy!! Evil Hocir! Bad Hocir!

The above is of course WAS, but it is one alternate take.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-13-2018 at 07:59 AM.
10-12-2018, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

I reckon some of the objection to Ricoh using any submitted images is a bit over-wrought. In the first instance, we all “submit” images that other people can use (albeit without authorisation) from here and other image-posting websites.
Let anyone use any of my images for commercial used we'll see what happens. Although, admittedly your options are limited. MY buddy, who's truck and car photographing set up I described in another thread, had his work sold to Toronto Transit and it was on the back of almost every city bus, and he was never paid for it. As Annie Sprinkle once pointed out ( I did a photgraphy workshop with her) , you get paid for your work in that business because they think they'll get more work from you. My buddy made the mistake of telling the agency he was shutting down, so they stopped paying him. Immediately. Never wrote him another check for any of his work.

That being said, if you use my work to sell your product, and my image helps do that, I expect to be paid. If I want to volunteer it will be for WOrldwildlife Fund or something. Not a for profit corporation. The "We are in business to make money but you can work for us for free." is just a little too hypocritical for my liking. I'm more in the school of, "I want to make money, you want to make money, let's help each other out."
10-12-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Wow, they don't give anything to those whose best images they are going to use for commercial purposes?
Have you ever heard if, let's say, pen manufacturer calls writes to send them best poems or stores written with their pens? Or metal fabricators calls jewelers to send the best pieces of jewelry for promotion? Nope. But camera manufacturer does.

10-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Actually I do not submit images anywhere as you described. I stopped posting images here long ago, and I stopped posting images on Facebook long before that. And I decided from Day One not to join Instagram for the same underlying reasons. I only post images on my website; I post links to my images occasionally on Facebook (but I have come to dislike Facebook and haven't posted much there in the past year.) Many photographers do not post their images on social media and the like, and there have been many articles written against the idea of allowing publishers of various sorts to publish your images "for exposure" or "on spec."

This is a personal preference decision and if another person feels 180 degrees differently that's fine with me. There are good arguments for both approaches; each person just has to pick what makes sense for her or him. Photographers who chose no to let their work out for free, however, are not overwrought in their decisions. Here are an article and a video that address both perspectives:

Licensing Images For Free Usage: Why Thousands of Photographers Are Choosing Exposure Over Money | Fstoppers

This is How People in Other Industries Respond When Asked for Free Spec Work

FYI: this is written in a friendly tone
Fair comment. Mine also.
10-13-2018, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh well - oddly enough, though I don't have nearly as much kit as some here, I do have one qualifying camera and 5 qualifying lenses, so I stuck one up just for fun - to my mind it's sort of supporting Ricoh if people like the picture and see it was taken using Pentax kit, and I want them to keep going with Pentax.

Last edited by ffking; 12-08-2018 at 05:05 PM.
10-13-2018, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Many, many companies are doing this type of thing these days. I have never understood why I should invest effort for this.

Companies are commercial constructs and if they want something from me they have to pay for it.

If this was a non-profit organization with non-payed volunteers asking for photos, fine. Then I could help.
10-13-2018, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

In the first instance, we all “submit” images that other people can use (albeit without authorisation) from here and other image-posting websites.
Yes. They are usually downsized samples, not the full resolution files, and unless explicitly given one of the creative commons licenses, the published files aren't legally usable without prior authorization from the publisher, unless the site where the photographs are published explicitly defines if and how the photographs can be reused. If the photograph is of professional quality, it shouldn't be given away for not benefit (financial, brand promotion etc). Shall truth be told, there are not so many professional quality photographs in the portfolios of the fans of camera gear...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-13-2018 at 12:58 AM.
10-13-2018, 06:04 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Oh well - oddly enough, though I don't have nearly as much kit as some here, I do have one qualifying camera and 5 qualifying lenses, so I stuck one up just for fun - to my mind it's sort of supporting Ricoh if people like the picture and see it was taken suing Pentax kit, and I want them to keep going with Pentax.
Years ago when I bought my D *ist from Henriy's the store had a binder of pictures of from every camera but the Pentax images sucked. I took a few studio images and took them in, they replaced the ones in their binder with mine. Ive done my part.
10-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

we all “submit” images that other people can use (albeit without authorisation) from here and other image-posting websites
Not me, unless they have a use for something low resolution, jpeg only. I have had 2 or 3 lo-res images show up on Tumblr, but those were removed on request.

Steve
10-13-2018, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I have a specific image stolen at least 5-10 times a day from my blog. It's low-resolution, yet I can quantify its theft by doing a reverse image search through Google. I report it occasionally (depending on the hosting site), but most the time I don't. I don't like that it's stolen, especially because most of the time the image is used for false profile pictures on dating sites, FB, and LinkedIn. But I understand there's an acceptable cost of doing business, and posting images online opens up this possibility.

I'll submit an image. Why not? Especially if someone buys an FA Limited because they saw one of our photos.

Edit: I submitted an image. You have to specify camera settings. I used a shutter speed of 1/180s (flash sync) but they didn't have this option in the drop-down menu, so I selected 1/160.

Last edited by builttospill; 10-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
10-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I have a specific image stolen at least 5-10 times a day from my blog. It's low-resolution, yet I can quantify its theft by doing a reverse image search through Google. I report it occasionally (depending on the hosting site), but most the time I don't. I don't like that it's stolen, especially because most of the time the image is used for false profile pictures on dating sites, FB, and LinkedIn. But I understand there's an acceptable cost of doing business, and posting images online opens up this possibility.

I'll submit an image. Why not? Especially if someone buys an FA Limited because they saw one of our photos.

Edit: I submitted an image. You have to specify camera settings. I used a shutter speed of 1/180s (flash sync) but they didn't have this option in the drop-down menu, so I selected 1/160.
So I guess you use a model release that is open for commercial use of images. A commercial side like this, that has the purpose of promoting and selling camera's and lenses should pay photographers and models for their work. It is okay that you as a photographer work for free, since it is your choice to promote Pentax. The quastion is if this is also so for the model in the image?

In the past Pentax did go wrong with these things......So they see this not as their task to look into that and take care of such matters.