Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not me, unless they have a use for something low resolution, jpeg only. I have had 2 or 3 lo-res images show up on Tumblr, but those were removed on request.

Steve
OK, OK. I shouldn’t have used the word “all”.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'll submit an image. Why not? Especially if someone buys an FA Limited because they saw one of our photos.
...which is what I was getting at with the second part of my post. Interesting how one word can divert attention, but that’s how some people deliberately work on Twitter!

In one way, this entire website is an advertisement for Pentax, albeit an unconventional one because it permits debate and dissent (and the other “D” word). People have occasionally said when they joined that it influenced their decision to go for Pentax. Admittedly, most participants get something out of being here, just not money or goods except when they win a camera or get a discount.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 10-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.
10-13-2018, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So I guess you use a model release that is open for commercial use of images. A commercial side like this, that has the purpose of promoting and selling camera's and lenses should pay photographers and models for their work. It is okay that you as a photographer work for free, since it is your choice to promote Pentax. The quastion is if this is also so for the model in the image?

In the past Pentax did go wrong with these things......So they see this not as their task to look into that and take care of such matters.
Yes, I always use releases. If the model paid me for services and received their photos, the conditions of the contract have been met. If that's the case the question of the model doesn't apply here. If this is the case, I've already been paid for my work and there is no loss to me sending an image to Pentax.

The one term I don't like which photographers agree to is the images sent to Pentax must be unpublished. Pentax can choose to pay photographers for their images, and they should for new, unpublished work. But on the other side Pentax won't pay because they'll have 10,000 photos to sort through. No payment was necessary to get these, so I may as well help promote their (our) brand by sending them a quality image.
10-13-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I used a shutter speed of 1/180s (flash sync) but they didn't have this option in the drop-down menu
???? No way! That is both a selectable (X, P, Tv, and M modes) and valid automated value on all current-model cameras.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-13-2018 at 03:48 PM.
10-13-2018, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

I don't agree with asking photographers for free images to boost your sales. Since I own none of the approved equipment, I now feel the urge to buy a new lens or body so I can actively snub this contest in protest.

Makes sense to me

10-14-2018, 06:43 PM - 4 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the big deal?

Most of the folks who submit will be amateurs who will feel better about themselves if one of their images is accepted. If you are selling your images for hundreds (or thousands) of dollars a pop then you definitely shouldn't submit an image, but most of us here shoot for fun. I don't know that I would submit an image, but certainly it is no riskier than posting one here or on Flickr. In fact those are probably more likely to be stolen.

As for Ricoh, they will get what they pay for and they may have some nice images, but unless they invest more in advertising it probably won't make much difference in their bottom line.
10-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #36
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting concept in a commercial biased world.
'
I have one suitable lens but no camera to put ot on......apparently

Dave
10-14-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Interesting concept in a commercial biased world.
'
I have one suitable lens but no camera to put ot on......apparently

Dave
Wasn't the consensus that it was intended to be either or both, ie to showcase the lens or the body or the combination?

10-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #38
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Wasn't the consensus that it was intended to be either or both, ie to showcase the lens or the body or the combination?
Hi Rob
I may have the wrong end of the stick but I thought the choices were 4 of the new cameras and ( i didn't count them) the newer lenses plus the FA ltd's and any combination of those choices.

Dave
10-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #39
Pentaxian

No love for the DFA 100 Macro WR
10-15-2018, 01:46 AM   #40
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
No love for the DFA 100 Macro WR
I wonder why. It's an excellent lens. They seem to be restricted to either HD or limited lenses.
10-15-2018, 02:26 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Rob
I may have the wrong end of the stick but I thought the choices were 4 of the new cameras and ( i didn't count them) the newer lenses plus the FA ltd's and any combination of those choices.

Dave
The "requirements" section says: Photos shot using any of the following cameras or lenses or a combination of both items are required to enter this contest.
Please be noted that the target product list may change without notice.
I think basically Pentax is trying to get images from their current cameras that they have for sale and their newest lenses. Lenses like the DFA 100 macro and FA 50 may be nice lenses, but Pentax probably isn't as interested in selling a bunch of copies of those.

I still don't understand the negativity in this thread. This is basically like a limited PPG with more curation. There are folks who submitted hundreds of photos to PPG for nothing more than the recognition that their photo was good. I'm not sure how this is a bad thing.
10-15-2018, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #42
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The "requirements" section says: Photos shot using any of the following cameras or lenses or a combination of both items are required to enter this contest.
Please be noted that the target product list may change without notice.
I think basically Pentax is trying to get images from their current cameras that they have for sale and their newest lenses. Lenses like the DFA 100 macro and FA 50 may be nice lenses, but Pentax probably isn't as interested in selling a bunch of copies of those.

I still don't understand the negativity in this thread. This is basically like a limited PPG with more curation. There are folks who submitted hundreds of photos to PPG for nothing more than the recognition that their photo was good. I'm not sure how this is a bad thing.
Hi Rondec

I guess there are 2 things going on, 1) The choice of equiptment is 'slim'..2) "i'm not being paid for supplying promotional content"

Neither of these bother me personally..1) I am not a profesional photographer,,,2) I only own one of the lenses and none of the new cameras...3) I wouldent use one of my shots either

Dave
10-15-2018, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need to understand this was originally a Japan-only opportunity until just recently. I suspect Japanese enthusiast photographers have a completely different take on participating in this kind of opportunity than do we in the west. If I’m not mistaken Ricoh does carry out traditional marketing activities in Japan, including television advertising and dealer support. They just choose not to fully compete in western consumer markets, which require more volume and market share than our purchases will support.
10-15-2018, 04:55 AM - 4 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So much negativity so early in the morning!

Since I rented a K-1 last week, and paired it to the FA 77mm I own, and that combination makes great photos, I might just enter.
10-15-2018, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

morning? its late afternoon here.
so i've entered as it is a photo i can make nearly everyday (wheater permitting)
I don't mind if they using it without paying me this time as long as it keeps the brand going!