Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So its quite obvious in your mind that we will have two full frames from Ricoh/Pentax which would give Ricoh/Pentax a total of four current FF DSLRs? Perhaps you are projecting your wishes on to his statement.
Not really. I believe asahiman because of his track record on the other forum. So in a way, yes, if asahiman says: "full frame in two classes", then I believe that is what the plan is.

Chris

10-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #47
Pentaxian

The only thing I can say is this. Next year will definitely make or break Pentax for many users on here. Lots of people want FF gear & lots of people want APS-C gear. Announcements will probably be done just before, during, and/or after CP+. I'll be waiting to see what Ricoh has up their sleeve.
10-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There must be a yellow brick road around here. If only I could find it.....

10-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Not really. I believe asahiman because of his track record on the other forum. So in a way, yes, if asahiman says: "full frame in two classes", then I believe that is what the plan is.

Chris
I suppose that the K-1 II may already be in one class, a second could be in another. For some reason I was thinking two FF camera's as well but that may not be the case. However maybe releasing two FF DSLR's at the same time isnt a stretch if one of them used the same body as the current K-1 and both had very similar internals with the exception of the sensor.

10-16-2018, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
WG-60....Add RAW and 1" sensor and it would be better camera...But the same 1/2.3" sensor....I think...Alas.
Totally agree. The Olympus camera like this is the only one that has RAW. Even the Panasonic Lumix version which is a nice camera does not capture RAW. They have a lot going for them small size literally take any where any time even scuba diving but I can not take these cameras serious without RAW.
10-16-2018, 09:22 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

"full frame in two classes", then I believe that is what the plan is.
Except that is not what he said. He said:
"lens development, very interesting and in 2 classes."

I am selectively quoting him to make his message fit what I think he was saying, but at least I am using a direct quote. You on the other hand are paraphrasing his words to make them say what you think they mean. Why do I bother??? (insert "bangs head against wall" emoji)
10-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Totally agree. The Olympus camera like this is the only one that has RAW. Even the Panasonic Lumix version which is a nice camera does not capture RAW. They have a lot going for them small size literally take any where any time even scuba diving but I can not take these cameras serious without RAW.
Also agree with ogl and you. Just a little bit of upmarket orientation could bring a great contestant to the ruggedized/travel market. I tried to use one of the previous WG on a kite, but the lack of manual settings (only Program or Scene...), fixed/ manual focus (give me lock to infinite...), intervalometer (unusable), RAW... and overall image quality (give me a larger sensor, even if for the price of less zoom) let me keep the GR for this purpose.
It can't be that hard to give such a camera a decent user interface...

---------- Post added 10-16-2018 at 06:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote

I am selectively quoting him to make his message fit what I think he was saying, but at least I am using a direct quote. You on the other hand are paraphrasing his words to make them say what you think they mean. Why do I bother??? (insert "bangs head against wall" emoji)
Haha, I am with you here. More often then not this is neither news nor rumours, but wishes and fears. Nevertheless, I do like a good portion of speculation, it might allow discussions about features, to see if someone else is thinking along the same lines. But I would prefer if there would be a better separation between those and proper news; mixing these spoils the fun, both for speculation and information seeking people like me.

Last edited by MMVIII; 10-16-2018 at 09:41 AM.
10-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote

Let's quote him properly then:
"Currently nearly all the development power is going into K fullframe SLR.Body and lens development,very interesting and in 2 classes."

Chris
10-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Right. And as I said, we already know (from the public roadmap) that they are developing lenses in 2 classes.

Maybe they are planning for 2 classes of FF cameras, but which would not be launched simultaneously. Both for the next year, I really doubt it.
And it still doesn't exclude APS-C bodies.
10-16-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chris
I don't doubt that Asahiman is basically accurate. What he said is very open to interpretation. I've read his statement several times and I don't see him specifically mention two full frames in two classes. If that were true he would have said they are working on two fullframes which was not specifically stated

This is what he said a month ago:

"Currently nearly all the development power is going into K fullframe SLR.

Body and lens development,very interesting and in 2 classes.

But, SLR!!"

Let me translate this for you "At the moment we are working on a K fullframe SLR but there is other development in two classes of lens and DSLRs".

Isn't that much more clear and logical than two simultaneous full frames being developed?

Just trying to give you a little bit of help, Chris.
10-16-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Right. And as I said, we already know (from the public roadmap) that they are developing lenses in 2 classes.

Maybe they are planning for 2 classes of FF cameras, but which would not be launched simultaneously. Both for the next year, I really doubt it.
And it still doesn't exclude APS-C bodies.
As you know, for me personally it does not matter anymore, but it is striking that asahiman evades the mention of APSC consequently when looking forward to next year. And we know that with him, there are no "political" reasons.

B.t.w. to refer to "two classes" as pertaining to the lenses is rather nonsensical: Pentax has forever been developing lenses in more classes. I think it is fairly sure, that asahiman is referring to the division of full frame cameras into two classes for the anniversary year. But time will tell, as always....

Chris
10-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not excited about the possibility of Pentax developing a mirrorless full frame body that requires a separate adapter to use K mount lenses.

Heck, if I wanted to use my K-mount lenses on a full frame mirrorless body with an adapter, I'd have already purchased a Sony, Canon, Nikon, or soon Panasonic full frame mirrorless camera!

Many of my current lenses are already adapted once to K mount. I guess that I'm not too keen on using lenses with two adapters (e.g. Bronica SQ to K, and K to the new Pentax mirrorless mount).

Adapters can cause two potential problems: misalignment of the lens through looseness at the lens/adapter/camera interfaces (or poor machining tolerances); and making the camera/lens combination exceedingly front heavy.

A Pentax native K mount lens has 1 interface between the lens mount and the Pentax body. If one adapter is employed, there are 2 such joints. And if two adapters are used, there are 3 joints.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
10-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm not excited about the possibility of Pentax developing a mirrorless full frame body that requires a separate adapter to use K mount lenses.

Heck, if I wanted to use my K-mount lenses on an adapter, I'd have already purchased a Sony, Canon, Nikon, or soon Panasonic full frame mirrorless camera!

Many of my current lenses are already adapted once to K mount. I guess that I'm not too keen on using lenses with two adapters (e.g. Bronica SQ to K, and K to the new Pentax mirrorless mount).

Adapters can cause two potential problems: misalignment of the lens through looseness (or poor machining tolerances); and making the camera/lens combination exceedingly front heavy.
I don't think you will have to worry about a FF mirrorless any time soon.
10-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #59
Pentaxian

As you know, for me personally it does not matter anymore, but it is striking that asahiman evades the mention of APSC consequently when looking forward to next year. And we know that with him, there are no "political" reasons.

B.t.w. to refer to "two classes" as pertaining to the lenses is rather nonsensical: Pentax has forever been developing lenses in more classes. I think it is fairly sure, that asahiman is referring to the division of full frame cameras into two classes for the anniversary year. But time will tell, as always....

Chris
You're posting a lot on this subject, so I'd say it matters to you
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your presence on these forums; and as a wildlife/birding expert you're adding a lot to them.

No, it's not fairly sure we can expect two FF DSLRs for the next year. Even if asahiman was talking about two new FF DSLRs in 2 classes. Nope, he never said two FF DSLRs for the next year; that's what you said.
It's not impossible, of course - make a cheaper K-1 II and a more advanced model. As I've gone FF, you realize I'm not against this idea; I just find it unreasonably optimistic. Despite all that's been said about me, I always try to keep a balanced view on Pentax

And I don't like when it's used to push a negativist view on Pentax, as in "they won't make any APS-C!"
10-16-2018, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The two salient points are
  1. Pentax isn’t going out of business
  2. Development is toward K-Mount SLR
Everything else is details, made speculative by his usage (or lack) of punctuation marks. Addition of a simple comma* would entirely clarify his remarks - and entirely defeat the viral marketing.

FWIW, when I first read asahiman’s post last month my interpretation was:
  • Announcing a major new premium camera technology architecture FF body for 2019, with significant upgrades and a new direction, to complement K-1ll
  • I think APSc is the platform for ‘interesting’ cameras like KP. I like mine.
  • Announcing many new FF lenses in * Class and Limited Class. I don’t consider f/4 or variable aperture zooms a ‘Class’ of lenses.
  • Releasing HD DA*11~18 Zoom in spring 2019

* Inquiring minds want to know where placed. I’ll leave that to the continuing discussion.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 10-16-2018 at 11:05 AM.