Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Too bad that it always takes sooooo long for Pentax to release something interesting, Im sure that for the annivarsary year they will release something ( who knows what ) but their product release time is just in another dimension. We'll see.

10-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K70 and 645Z are both due to have replacements come out as well, unless Pentax has decided that they don't want to compete in the medium format market.
They seemed a bit tentative about MF in the Photokina interview - to my mind it would be a terrible shame if they abandoned MF, though - not only did the 645Z sell well, but back in the day, of course, they were inique in offering 2 MF systems alongside 35mm, and the 67 was a pioneer in adopting a 35mm form factor for larger formats. MF was where their pro credibility was based. It is clear, however, that the 'cheap' crop 645 market is getting crowded - possibly partly as a result of the 'cheap' 645Z - so perhaps monitoring the market, as they said in the interview, is precisely what they need to do.
10-18-2018, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
.... If I were venturing a "guess", I'd say a FF below and above the current K1 II.

But what do I know .

-Carl
10-18-2018, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
above the current K1 II
I'm wondering what they could do to tempt me to upgrade from my K-1... it would have to be something pretty special

10-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
.... If I were venturing a "guess", I'd say a FF below and above the current K1 II.

But what do I know .

-Carl
It’s hard to know what they’d do to produce a 35FF DSLR at a price below the K-1ii, unless maybe they stripped out IBIS, and included a fixed LCD screen, and/or maybe went to a lighter build.

Now, a K-1 with the patented EVF overlay, plus 4k video and a revised AF system would be a welcome addition at the higher price.

Where would that leave the needed APS-C upgrade, though? I can’t believe that, with the almost complete lens catalogue for that format, that APS-C would be left hanging with just the K70 and the KP.
10-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
with just the K70 and the KP.
with the KP out, the next one will probably be a K70 replacement, with newer tech, test it before upgrading it, like the GR might have a touch screen, as will the future K1's and KP replacement. Something like that
10-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
with the KP out, the next one will probably be a K70 replacement, with newer tech, test it before upgrading it, like the GR might have a touch screen, as will the future K1's and KP replacement. Something like that
It would be interesting to know how Ricoh sees the future prospects for APS-C, particularly that of the high-end body. I’m still not convinced that the KP is only a one-off, ie an evolutionary dead-end, but that’s because I see there is potential for pushing it into the higher role.

10-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
They seemed a bit tentative about MF in the Photokina interview - to my mind it would be a terrible shame if they abandoned MF, though - not only did the 645Z sell well, but back in the day, of course, they were inique in offering 2 MF systems alongside 35mm, and the 67 was a pioneer in adopting a 35mm form factor for larger formats. MF was where their pro credibility was based. It is clear, however, that the 'cheap' crop 645 market is getting crowded - possibly partly as a result of the 'cheap' 645Z - so perhaps monitoring the market, as they said in the interview, is precisely what they need to do.

I think the problem is that the 645 lenses simply aren't good enough for future sensors of 100mp+. The whole system needs a rethink.
For sure the FA645 75/2.8 and the FA645 45/2.8 could not compete with the 77 and the 43 Limited, respectively.
10-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think the problem is that the 645 lenses simply aren't good enough for future sensors of 100mp+. The whole system needs a rethink.
For sure the FA645 75/2.8 and the FA645 45/2.8 could not compete with the 77 and the 43 Limited, respectively.
Why this? I can assure you that, on film, the FA lenses can deliver a resolution above the 100Mpx limit.
A quick test here: How do you scan your film? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Why this? I can assure you that, on film, the FA lenses can deliver a resolution above the 100Mpx limit.
A quick test here: How do you scan your film? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
I have the adapter and the lenses in question and compared the lenses on 35mm film. The 645 lenses are significantly weaker in optical quality. The difference should be larger on digital...
10-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yep, it gets hard to track what is what. Without going back through old posts, I do believe it was in the interview at CP+ last year where it was hinted at. And I also would say in typical Ricoh fashion, there really hasn't been anything else I can recall being said, but if it's out there, someone will hopefully provide the link. So a new flagship crop body on the horizon would seem to be the hopeful wishes of Pentax fans combined with a hint and the time since the last release of a crop "flagship body". Guess we'll just have to stay tuned to see what happens when the curtain goes up.
I hope Pentax at least produces a KPii with a larger buffer - I believe at least some people would be able to deal with their other issues about the KP, but burst length actually affects results.

The one clear news from this year's Photokina interview is that recent events have caused Pentax to rethink their strategy, so anything said before then is no longer certain.
10-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #102
Pentaxian

I think Pentax will finally release a digital entry level full frame camera. ��
10-18-2018, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

;)

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I think Pentax will finally release a digital entry level full frame camera. ��
I like how you (we) think.
And its where Pentax has to go to get traction in FF. They also need a higher end FF camera too. One with faster AF, lower megapixels.

Carl
10-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Faster AF, I'd very much like that - but why lower megapixels?
10-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Faster AF, I'd very much like that - but why lower megapixels?
Frame rate and buffer throughput for jpeg shooters. But why use FF for that?