Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #166
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I presume it is since the Fujifilm GFX 100Megapixels, the development of which was announced at Photokina, includes sensor stabilisation.

Fujifilm unveils GFX 100Megapixels Concept | Fujifilm Global

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/pdf/gfx100M_catalogue_01.pdf
The question is who owns the technology. If it is Sony, maybe they can buy it with the whole sensor module. If they have to develop it themselves. ....Well then I don't think it will come to 645.

10-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"We are now developing" doesn't promise an immediate release, but it is not an unspecified future. (...)
The exact quote would be: 'We are now starting to develop a new DSLR which can be positioned as the successor to the K-3 series.'

Source: CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - YouTube

Concerning the tentative launch date of this new DSLR, if the above is not an unspecified future, I wonder what it is.
10-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #168
Pentaxian

I meant what I wrote - now developing (or now starting to develop) is present tense.
I've made it clear I'm not speculating on the release date, several times.
10-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mistral:

Next year is 100th Anniversary of Pentax...Perhaps a big launch of a core newly minted APS-c camera is on the agenda....I think that would be a real coup. To the rest of Pentax Nation impatient for a K-3/ii successor, if your camera is taking great pics and it's designed for 200,000+ shots, use it up as opposed to reselling it here or on eBay....most Pentax cameras I've owned were sold before they were used up. The best build quality in the business.

10-20-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Merv-O: To be more specific, 2019 is the 100th anniversary of Asahi Optical, not of Pentax which is a model name that dates back to 1957.

The 60th anniversary of Asahi Optical was celebrated in 1979 with the announcement of the Pentax LX (LX = 60 in Latin); the camera itself was introduced in 1980.

Asahi Optical, renamed Pentax in 2002, merged with and into Hoya on 31 March 2008 and therefore ceased to exist.

In 2007 the 50th anniversary of Asahi Pentax was celebrated with a design study model based on Pentax K10D, the Asahi Pentax AP 50th Aniv. There was no such celebration organised by Ricoh in 2017 for the 60th anniversary of Pentax.

At Photokina 2018 Pentax Forums staff were told that Ricoh 'are looking forward to arranging the 100 year anniversary celebrations which will take place next year on a regional basis. We can expect work shops, tutorials, product announcements, and social media content. The intention is to not only portray Pentax in the historical light, but also as a brand reaching into the future.'

What 'product announcements' means in conjunction with 'celebrations taking place on a regional basis' remains to be determined.

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-20-2018 at 08:29 AM.
10-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People (I included) hear what they want to hear and draw the conclusions they want to draw. In addition to LX, 1980 saw several M series cameras, including the MESuper.

The next new K-mount camera, SuperPROGRAM, wasn’t released until 1983. 645 (essentially a 120 format SuperPROGRAM) appeared in 1984.

Nothing new happening here. It’s merely normal Pentax behavior, except for the crazy digital revolution decade.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-20-2018 at 08:56 AM.
10-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
And it's nice to see that reh321 got it with my interest in a 24mpix FF camera.
I also would be (very) interested in a 24Mpx FF. The pixel resolution works well for me on the K-3, but I would truly love to have the performance and lower noise of the same resolution on a larger sensor.

Steve

10-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #173
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I meant what I wrote - now developing (or now starting to develop) is present tense.
I've made it clear I'm not speculating on the release date, several times.
While I fully respect the English skills of the person quoted, my experience has been that fine points of tense are often lacking when spoken or written in other than a person's native tongue. I would not lean on the wording too hard.

Steve
10-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #174
Pentaxian

I'm quite wary of this aspect, too - Mr. Arai's command of English is very good, but he still has difficulties (which is perfectly understandable for a Japanese! Not that the Japanese would be any easier for a native English speaker).
In this case, I'm reasonably sure he was talking about the (then) present. "Now", which in his mind was probably "ima" - he'd naturally use an adverb to express the tense.
10-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam's recollection and personal interpretation:
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Back at CP+ they said a K-3 successor was going to enter development. Now, after Photokina, it seems that mirrorless may perhaps be the direction they're going to move in first (maybe with the 645Z). However, they were extremely tight-lipped about actual product plans. (...) We'll just have to keep waiting, till CP+ and the anniversary.
10-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #176
Pentaxian

And asahiman said "But, DSLRs!".
We're all guessing here, on extremely scarce information. That's why I'd say it's pointless (it could be recreative to some, but for me it fills the forum with noise - while I'm looking for information).
10-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
@Merv-O: To be more specific, 2019 is the 100th anniversary of Asahi Optical, not of Pentax which is a model name that dates back to 1957.

The 60th anniversary of Asahi Optical was celebrated in 1979 with the announcement of the Pentax LX (LX = 60 in Latin); the camera itself was introduced in 1980.

Asahi Optical, renamed Pentax in 2002, merged with and into Hoya on 31 March 2008 and therefore ceased to exist.

In 2007 the 50th anniversary of Asahi Pentax was celebrated with a design study model based on Pentax K10D, the Asahi Pentax AP 50th Aniv. There was no such celebration organised by Ricoh in 2017 for the 60th anniversary of Pentax.

At Photokina 2018 Pentax Forums staff were told that Ricoh 'are looking forward to arranging the 100 year anniversary celebrations which will take place next year on a regional basis. We can expect work shops, tutorials, product announcements, and social media content. The intention is to not only portray Pentax in the historical light, but also as a brand reaching into the future.'

What 'product announcements' means in conjunction with 'celebrations taking place on a regional basis' remains to be determined.
That's great news. Mistral: Ricoh should realize what a great brand they have...I took my K-1ii out this morning and after leaving it dormant for a week (used the K-S2 & the K-3) realize what a beast it is--in size, weight and photo integrity. That full size sensor is a champ

---------- Post added 10-20-18 at 12:43 PM ----------

We're all guessing here, on extremely scarce information. That's why I'd say it's pointless (it could be recreative to some, but for me it fills the forum with noise - while I'm looking for information).
True, but prognosticating on the future products for Ricoh/Pentax is fun....really no different than predicting football scores....Really love my Pentaxes and want the brand to live on...
10-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #178
Pentaxian

If you've invested in a system you'd want it to last more than your lifetime. I've considered myself as have invested in Pentax though compared to others, my investments are small. I hope the k-mount lives on. It's a great legacy.
10-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #179
Pentaxian

FF DSLR has been a steady, albeit slow, course over these past years. No reason to doubt this course for FF DSLR.

Next to this steady FF course, Pentax is and has been monitoring the market to decide which project(s) to take on besides FF DSLR. This was apparently a start of development of a K3 successor at CP+, but this is uncertain after Adam's interview with Pentax/Ricoh at Photokina, according to his own words. Pentax, in his view, is just as likely or more likely, to investigate mirrorless options in the light of the vast shift in the camera market towards mirrorless at and preceding Photokina. This is more or less supported by what was said in the interview, and also what was not said in the interview.
This is in accordance with asahiman's refusal to mention an APSC camera being in development, which I asked him directly in a response to one of his posts on the other forum. When I asked him before CP+, he did respond, saying that the KP was meant as the highest positioned APSC camera originally, but that Pentax could develop a higher positioned APSC model in response to the criticism on the KP.

Chris
10-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #180
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
FF DSLR has been a steady, albeit slow, course over these past years. No reason to doubt this course for FF DSLR.

Next to this steady FF course, Pentax is and has been monitoring the market to decide which project(s) to take on besides FF DSLR. This was apparently a start of development of a K3 successor at CP+, but this is uncertain after Adam's interview with Pentax/Ricoh at Photokina, according to his own words. Pentax, in his view, is just as likely or more likely, to investigate mirrorless options in the light of the vast shift in the camera market towards mirrorless at and preceding Photokina. This is more or less supported by what was said in the interview, and also what was not said in the interview.
This is in accordance with asahiman's refusal to mention an APSC camera being in development, which I asked him directly in a response to one of his posts on the other forum. When I asked him before CP+, he did respond, saying that the KP was meant as the highest positioned APSC camera originally, but that Pentax could develop a higher positioned APSC model in response to the criticism on the KP.

Chris
Well since speculating is so much fun. I think that in 2019 for aps-c we don't get anything above KP. So maybe a new K-90 or a KPii. But don't wait for a K-3iii if that is what anyone is doing. Fullframe it is.

Studying the market what mirrorless is doing is something that Pentax may do for the whole year to come. Maybe they can find a platform (mount) to join. That would make things easier.