Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #61
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Thank you for the write up.

tbh the most disappointing thing for me in that was the Sigma response
I am disappointed that the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 uses screw-drive AF ..... I know they can do in-lens AF because the Canon EF version of the 10-20mm lens has it ..... but they have to reverse-engineer modern variants of the K-mount. I'm not sure how Pentax handles licenses for modern K-mount variants, but working with K-mount is obviously not worth Sigma's bother, and they would need exact knowledge of a modern K-mount variant to deliver maximal value.

10-29-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am disappointed that the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 uses screw-drive AF ..... I know they can do in-lens AF because the Canon EF version of the 10-20mm lens has it ..... but they have to reverse-engineer modern variants of the K-mount. I'm not sure how Pentax handles licenses for modern K-mount variants, but working with K-mount is obviously not worth Sigma's bother, and they would need exact knowledge of a modern K-mount variant to deliver maximal value.
Sigma never licensed K-mount, they reverse engineered it. They did pay for some IDs, and then used them on multiple lenses, sometimes 3 lenses having the same ID. They are essentially the parasites of the camera world. They deliver maximal value in part buy figuring out ways to not pay Pentax and other OEMs. given my experience with shoddy lens ID practices, I'd never buy another one. I have my catalogue software create folders with the images from the same lens in them. My Sigma lenses completely mess up the system. Another reason why I tell people not to buy them. The fact that you may not care right now, doesn't mean that some day you won't want accurate info on which image was taken with which lens.
10-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Sigma 10-20 3.5 has the ultra quiet HSM. I am really impressed with mine.
10-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sigma never licensed K-mount, they reverse engineered it. They did pay for some IDs, and then used them on multiple lenses, sometimes 3 lenses having the same ID. They are essentially the parasites of the camera world. They deliver maximal value in part buy figuring out ways to not pay Pentax and other OEMs. given my experience with shoddy lens ID practices, I'd never buy another one. I have my catalogue software create folders with the images from the same lens in them. My Sigma lenses completely mess up the system. Another reason why I tell people not to buy them. The fact that you may not care right now, doesn't mean that some day you won't want accurate info on which image was taken with which lens.
I would have jumped ship from Pentax if not for Sigma. My only Sigma is the 50-500, but that filled a huge gap for me at the time. The next best Pentax long zoom when I got the Sigma was the 55-300and that wasn't good enough. It was before the 150-450 existed. The 250-600 was already out of production, rare on the used market, and 250 was too long on the short end anyway.

I suppose Samyang is another parasite that I welcome. The Pentax 15-30 is good but fills a different role than the Samyang 24/1.4.

10-29-2018, 05:02 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I would have jumped ship from Pentax if not for Sigma. My only Sigma is the 50-500, but that filled a huge gap for me at the time. The next best Pentax long zoom when I got the Sigma was the 55-300and that wasn't good enough. It was before the 150-450 existed. The 250-600 was already out of production, rare on the used market, and 250 was too long on the short end anyway.

I suppose Samyang is another parasite that I welcome. The Pentax 15-30 is good but fills a different role than the Samyang 24/1.4.
Have to check. I'm pretty sure Samyang purchase the Pentax ID chips and shows the correct Focal Length and Lens ID.
10-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My carry around lens a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3 Contemporary has an HSM focus drive and its been around for quite a long time. Over all it not a bad lens but I do have to "modify" the maker notes just a tad to get DXO to recognize it and treat it as an HSM II version.
10-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #67
Pentaxian

The f/6.3 max aperture softness, the yellow rendering and the rock bottom resales prices are the hints that a lens is a Sigma lens without having to read the name on it. Sorry, if that hurts, but that's the truth. When Pentax users have the issue that the Sigma lens model doesn't read correctly from the image metadata, the Canon users suffer from burned AF motor drive on their 5D series cameras...who don't buy a Sigma lens a second time.
10-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #68
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The f/6.3 max aperture softness, the yellow rendering and the rock bottom resales prices are the hints that a lens is a Sigma lens without having to read the name on it. Sorry, if that hurts, but that's the truth. When Pentax users have the issue that the Sigma lens model doesn't read correctly from the image metadata, the Canon users suffer from burned AF motor drive on their 5D series cameras...who don't buy a Sigma lens a second time.
When I was a Canon user, that lens was a major thing I missed when I moved to Pentax, and I was very happy when I could purchase the K-mount version also {my only disappointment being that it didn't have the motor} - I now have two working 10-20mm Sigma lenses, so it would be proper to say that I "purchased a Sigma lens a second time".

10-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Have to check. I'm pretty sure Samyang purchase the Pentax ID chips and shows the correct Focal Length and Lens ID.
My Sigma 50-500 communicates focal length to the camera. My Samyang/Rokinon 14 did not do so.
10-30-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am disappointed that the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 uses screw-drive AF ..... I know they can do in-lens AF because the Canon EF version of the 10-20mm lens has it ..... but they have to reverse-engineer modern variants of the K-mount.
?

Canon or Nikon don't license either, as far as I know.

Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer for them, too.

There was that interview with the president who basically apologized for their firmwares in the past, they're works in progress.
10-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I don't think they have to; since their lenses are manual, all they need is to implement the KA mount.