10-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

No 150-450 either.
10-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Was it the new one, with the D FA* 50mm in it?
The Japanese brochure (available for download at RI's Japanese site, lens section) was updated a while ago. The English brochure available at the same site is still the old one.

Also, there's quite a bit of marketing material being added to the Japanese sites (some of it translated into English).
The brochure was printed this month (has an October 2018 date on it). However, it does not have the new 50mm lens in it, which probably means it went to the printer before the lens was released.
10-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Or they didn't translate the new brochure yet.
The Japanese brochure is also dated October. They really don't have to wait for the lens release, they have lots of material before then.

I really wish they would translate and publish more of the Japanese material in English.

10-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks similar to several years ago....

right before the K1 was released, and they had one under glass. For my part, I am relieved they have this much. I remember a few years ago when they had nothing, and once just this single table-like affair.

I expect there will be a slight bit more once they have more new stuff to show, and like Asahi Man said over at that dreaded site, don't forget that next year is the 100th anniversary...
10-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #21

At least Ricoh had a booth at PhotoPlus. There was a few years when they didn't bother.
10-26-2018, 12:40 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Frankly, with the exception of the statement that they weren’t getting out of the APS-C business, I lean more to “didn’t know” than to “couldn’t say.”
And there you have it.

A company like Ricoh/Pentax, who has a tiny but dedicated fan base, ought to be much more forthcoming with their customers.

And a company whose sales reps repeat, every time you meet them, that they have "limited resources" should frigging do something about it.

How did Fuji make such a comeback? By using the Apple Ipod technique : put a camera in the hands of everyone who matters, convince them it's good, and let them influence others. Don't wait for the customers to come to you.

10-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
...The Japanese brochure is also dated October...
Assuming we're thinking of the same Japanese brochure, it still shows a 1.7x AF teleconverter and a 2x teleconverter which have been discontinued for many years, and there's no longer any old stock available. It's not just an error in a list, the brochure includes photos and specs.

I'm not sure what's worse: no advertising, or advertising for products that can't be purchased
10-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I see them on the Ricoh Imaging Store.
10-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Assuming we're thinking of the same Japanese brochure, it still shows a 1.7x AF teleconverter and a 2x teleconverter which have been discontinued for many years, and there's no longer any old stock available. It's not just an error in a list, the brochure includes photos and specs.

I'm not sure what's worse: no advertising, or advertising for products that can't be purchased
The brochure that I picked up doesn’t seem to include anything that’s not currently available. For instance, there are no teleconverters listed. That being said, there’s obviously excess stock of some things still available. As I was leaving the booth after talking to them, one of the reps handed me a Pentax Remote Control D, which obviously wasn’t in the brochure!

Last edited by subsea; 10-27-2018 at 10:54 PM.
10-26-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
Frankly, with the exception of the statement that they weren’t getting out of the APS-C business, I lean more to “didn’t know” than to “couldn’t say.”
If there is something APSc in the pipeline for CP+ and spring shipping there must be people testing production prototypes under NDA now. Classic ‘Those who talk don’t know’ scenario. The absence of an outright denial . . .

Yeah, I know, grasping at straws.
10-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah, I know, grasping at straws.
I hope you are not.
10-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
And there you have it.

A company like Ricoh/Pentax, who has a tiny but dedicated fan base, ought to be much more forthcoming with their customers.

And a company whose sales reps repeat, every time you meet them, that they have "limited resources" should frigging do something about it.

How did Fuji make such a comeback? By using the Apple Ipod technique : put a camera in the hands of everyone who matters, convince them it's good, and let them influence others. Don't wait for the customers to come to you.
Ricoh still seems to have a very old style mentality to their business it seems.. at least as far as leading customers down the primrose path... or maybe just in the dark and expecting them to stick around no matter what. But, more and more, I get the impression that Pentax is just a hobby for Ricoh.. a brand with a lot of history and a national pride for Japan to keep going for the sake of keeping it going. They'll get to whatever they get to whenever they feel like getting to it. That seems to be the train of thought imo..
10-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

This is the Japanese brochure you are referring to. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf

The teleconverters shown on p.20 are available in Japan, so it isn't a mistake. This shop has them all in stock. https://www.fujiya-camera.jp/shopbrand/056/004/Y/page2/recommend/

Perhaps they are just waiting to fill that blank space on p.4 with a DFA 85mm before they go through the trouble of making another English version.
10-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is the Japanese brochure you are referring to. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf

The teleconverters shown on p.20 are available in Japan, so it isn't a mistake. This shop has them all in stock. |

Perhaps they are just waiting to fill that blank space on p.4 with a DFA 85mm before they go through the trouble of making another English version.
Thanks, that's interesting. Under Hoya and Ricoh leadership the USA part of Pentax acts as if those converters are discontinued and no longer available.