Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Thanks, that's interesting. Under Hoya and Ricoh leadership the USA part of Pentax acts as if those converters are discontinued and no longer available.
In essence they are discontinued - in the US market.

Japanese companies always have items that aren't available on the US market. Take for instance Eneloop C and D-cells. Japanese car manufacturers have model lines you've never heard of because they aren't sold in the US.

10-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

From the interview now posted on the home page:
Q: As a growing number of users are becoming vocal about not wanting to compromise with the KP, is the high-end APS-C (i.e. K-3 II) product line one which will be continued?
A: This is being worked on. If you like the K-1 and some of its features, look for an APS-C offering in the not too distant future.
10-27-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
From the interview now posted on the home page:
Q: As a growing number of users are becoming vocal about not wanting to compromise with the KP, is the high-end APS-C (i.e. K-3 II) product line one which will be continued?
A: This is being worked on. If you like the K-1 and some of its features, look for an APS-C offering in the not too distant future.
OK.....its time for the "NAY SAYERS" to start chiming in!
10-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
OK.....its time for the "NAY SAYERS" to start chiming in!
In the absence of a K-3ii replacement, people will make comments.

10-27-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would be nice to see the k-3II replacement next year considering it's the 100th year anniversary. Maybe they should launch it together with the 85, 11-18 and some other good stuff.
10-27-2018, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speculate on which ‘some’ of its features. Pontificate on how distant is the ‘not too distant’ future.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2018 at 07:53 PM.
10-27-2018, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the absence of a K-3ii replacement, people will make comments.
RE, Even if the camera were out they would still be grousing about something miniscule.

10-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Speculate on which ‘some’ of its features. Pontificate on how distant is the ‘not too distant’ future.
Yep, for sure!
10-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #39
Pentaxian

RE, Even if the camera were out they would still be grousing about something miniscule.
But at least they would have something to spend their money on.
10-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But at least they would have something to spend their money on.
That too will come to pass, just keep your money dry, my friend!
10-27-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
mee
Veteran Member

Yet grousing about theoretical grousing from a vague, undefined party is still grousing too. kettle, pot dilemma
10-27-2018, 07:55 PM - 4 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the inevitable EVF terrorists would bomb every thread..
10-28-2018, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well that future could be the accelerate processor.

On how soon? Well it is an old company. Almost 100 years! So anything within the next 5 years is actually very soon.
10-28-2018, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For myself, I’m not fussed about the timing of the next high-end APS-C body, because I’m happy with my K-1, and my K-3 performs well enough for my needs in the areas I use it for, now.

However, I think it’s worth reflecting that the absence of good, leading-edge and affordable DSLR bodies will only spur the growth of MILC sales, even if the reality is that there isn’t much to choose between the current competing systems, simply because the MILC technology will appeal for its novelty. Over time, fewer DSLR sales will inevitably lead to the development of more MILC systems, thereby reinforcing the decline of DSLRs. Canon and Nikon aren’t exactly falling over themselves to help in the APS-C segment, and they’re the market leaders.

So, for the sake of maintaining a choice for the future, I really hope that this delay in developing the next APS-C Pentax body will result in something that pushes the technology forward and helps maintain the relevance of DSLRs. If it’s that much better than the K-3, for me, I’ll probably invest there, rather than wait for the next K-1 development.
10-28-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, here's my speculation:

In the near and medium future, which is all anybody can really talk about, I believe that Pentax will remain more or less the company they are today. Cautious, somewhat conservative, making products that are actually very, very good ; if you don't count video, which clearly Pentax isn't that interested in---except in Theta. More on that in a moment.

Obviously they can make a really good camera body. I am very well satisfied with my Z and my now upgraded K1. I guess it's not a mkII, so maybe a U2?

I am well satisfied with all of my Pentax lenses, although the 645 45 needs a refresh, as well as the 33-55 which I don't have. But it is obvious here also that they can design good lenses.

I am quite satisfied with my Pentax flashes. And other accessories. I wish they did more with radio triggers.

And I can hardly complain about Pentax's price points!!!! Good gawd. Yes the medium format lenses are pricey, but not inordinately so all things properly considered.

I am pretty darn certain that there's nothing in my Pentax gear that is really holding back my photography except tethering. This would be very handy to me in some situations, but it's not a deal buster at all. So, the significant problems with all of my photography have to do with me. Everyone else can speak for themselves.

I think the Pentax people in Japan see things as I do. That is why I don't anticipate some big surprise or change from Pentax. Seems to me they have shown us for years who they are, with no duplicity. How you feel about that should govern whether Pentax is the right fit for you. Expecting them to suddenly be different than they are seems odd to me. In fact , the way Pentax is different is appealing to me. I am only frustrated that they can't seem to get out of the starting blocks with their marketing in general and outreach to existing users.

The wild card to me is what Ricoh has been up to with the Theta. That device's tech has many applications, commercial and consumer, and that seems to me the logical working platform for R&D into computational photography, the latest and in many ways most interesting area. As has been explained elsewhere, we are reaching some limits with what can be done with sensors and optics alone. The phone people hit this wall first for obvious reasons, but that bell has begun to toll for full size cameras as well, the new 100-150mp medium format sensors notwithstanding. And we may well begin seeing the newest tech in the APSC realm, although the new ubiquity of FF (think back about 10-12 years and consider how remarkable this is!) perhaps means it will happen there.