Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Imaging Square Shanghai opens

I found this through a blog entry on the GR Blog.

Ricoh has opened a new Imaging Square location in Shanghai. It's the first one outside Japan as far as I know. I can't read Chinese, but the images and map give you an idea.

In Chinese: ????|????

The reason it was mentioned on the GR Blog was because they held a GR related event there to coincide.

In Japanese: GR???????@?? ???? (????) | GR official | ??????????????

It's an interesting development. I had not expected to see such a showroom outside Japan. I wonder if they will open any more in China, or even elsewhere.

Any Shanghai based members to go and investigate?

10-31-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

China is where the money is....
10-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google Translate can be your friend:
Google Translate

The service center of Ricoh Imaging Instruments (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. was established and officially opened on October 13, 2018. The service center is aimed at users of the company in China. The range of products accepted includes PENTAX digital SLR cameras and lenses, PENTAX portable digital Camera, PENTAX 645 series (partial failure), PENTAX flash, PENTAX telescope, Ricoh digital camera (only pick up).

Service Features:
Provide product repair consulting services;
Quick repair services, such as CMOS cleaning, are available for some simple repairs;
A product display area is provided to provide a display of new product samples;
A product experience area is provided, and a product introduction sheet is provided to facilitate customers to understand new product information.

The service center will be committed to continuously improve the quality of service and provide customers with quality after-sales service.

Ricoh Imaging Instrument Trading (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. Service Center Address: 229-230, 2nd Floor, A Zone, Starlight Photographic Equipment City, 300 Luban Road, Shanghai
Tel: 021-54531082
Business hours: Monday to Saturday 09:00~18:00 (except statutory holidays)
10-31-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Walk-in service? Service provided directly by Ricoh rather than a 3rd party? It sort of looks like the answer to both is "yes".

I'm jealous. Maybe after China forecloses on USA something like that will open here. (DOOOOOOM!)

10-31-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing this info!
I'll be back in Shanghai soon and that location in Luban Road is a must go to location for photographers anyway.
The buildings host a large variety of shops for new and used equipment for all major brands (and that includes Pentax of course)
10-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Walk-in service? Service provided directly by Ricoh rather than a 3rd party?
QuoteQuote:
Quick repair services, such as CMOS cleaning, are available for some simple repairs;
I suspect the word service refers to "customer service" rather than warranty repair.

Edit: After reading through a little more critically, it does read like they will accept product for repair and provide enhanced post-purchase support. Pity such is not extended to US buyers where it is not clear whether Ricoh Imaging NA actually has a physical location.

Steve

10-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm jealous. Maybe after China forecloses on USA something like that will open here. (DOOOOOOM!)
The sales to the America's (wich is probably only Canada and USA) last quarter where only 6.5 million USD. That has to go up a lot to make a store in New York or Philadelphia a good plan. For this year sales in the America's are decreasing.
10-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From what I can see, the main difference between the Shanghai location and the Japan ones is that there is no gallery space. Otherwise it’s quite similar.

I think it makes sense for cities where the population and camera buying habits are enough. Cities in Asia look feasible, but I’m not sure where it would be in the US or Europe. With the three (Tokyo has two) service centers in Japan, there are probably 50-60 million people within a 90-minute commute, so they can cover about half the population of the country. Even so, they don’t seem to be able to justify one in Nagoya, which would be the next place.

In China, however, there are several other cities comparable to Shanghai.
10-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
From what I can see, the main difference between the Shanghai location and the Japan ones is that there is no gallery space. Otherwise it’s quite similar.

I think it makes sense for cities where the population and camera buying habits are enough. Cities in Asia look feasible, but I’m not sure where it would be in the US or Europe. With the three (Tokyo has two) service centers in Japan, there are probably 50-60 million people within a 90-minute commute, so they can cover about half the population of the country. Even so, they don’t seem to be able to justify one in Nagoya, which would be the next place.

In China, however, there are several other cities comparable to Shanghai.
In Europe it is different. Paris, London and Berlin are the metropoles. Also maybe Moscow. Other places in Europe don't bring the number of potential customers, but mainly the markets are very different then in Asia.
10-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The sales to the America's (wich is probably only Canada and USA) last quarter where only 6.5 million USD. That has to go up a lot to make a store in New York or Philadelphia a good plan. For this year sales in the America's are decreasing.
I completely agree with you on that. USA sales are mostly relying on inertia of existing customers. Low sales = low interest from Japan = low sales
10-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Last time when I (seriously) check the price which was long ago! (But I think it is still truth.) Price for new Pentax gears in North America seems to be the lowest. Like the K1 / 1II prices. They were / are significant lower than in Japan (which piss me off and that’s why I remember. Ha ha. The same price to get a K1 in japan, I can get a K1 + a used FA31 in the US. who wouldn’t be pissed?). Therefore I though, Ricoh gives more attention to North America’s market… and now they open a showroom in china. I wonder why not North America?
Anyway, It is good for user over there.
10-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Last time when I (seriously) check the price which was long ago! (But I think it is still truth.) Price for new Pentax gears in North America seems to be the lowest. Like the K1 / 1II prices. They were / are significant lower than in Japan (which piss me off and that’s why I remember. Ha ha. The same price to get a K1 in japan, I can get a K1 + a used FA31 in the US. who wouldn’t be pissed?). Therefore I though, Ricoh gives more attention to North America’s market… and now they open a showroom in china. I wonder why not North America?
Anyway, It is good for user over there.
When you buy gear in Japan you pay for those services and showrooms and marketing through higher prices than in the USA, where there are absolutely no corporate-owned services, no support, and it isn’t clear that there is even distribution.

If they don’t do it, why should we pay for it?

OTOH in the context of a purely internet operation in the US, the few Ricoh employees seem to do a creditable job.

.:
10-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

A good move I would say. I never had problems with any of my cameras of lenses but, after sales service is important.
10-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

?????????????????2018.10.9? - Pentax SLR/DSLM??