Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

what about lenses? dont tell me Pentax is going to force all the buyers of their new MF system to use decade old glass that they will have to find second hand?

Its been like.. a whole year that the 60-250 existed, and its still not out, and people expect pentax to magicaly make 5-6 pieces of EXCELLENT glass for a new MF unit?

yeah, okay. :ugh:

Why used lenses?! Pentax still produces 645 and 67 lenses:

645 - Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX
67 - Interchangeable Lenses (for 67II) : Film Cameras : PENTAX

And You can come to conclusion that these all lenses is in production (not only listed taht there is such a lenses) taking in account that there at some lenses is writen that these is produced only by order. That means that other lenses are produced all the time. Besides in my country I saw new Pentax MF lenses in shop.

09-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
According to the latest news & rumors, Pentax will release a 645 medium-format digital SLR camera in spring 2009. Unfortunately, a FF KXD seems not to be in the pipeline .
I don`t understand the need of FF camera. For studio work and landscapes there is much better to use MF camera, especially if the price would be in line with Canon 1Ds. For sport and wildlife and other staff where you need big numbers of fps, there is more advantages to APS-C cameras (smaller files, that means more more fps, more rich in teleend). And better would be that Pentax brings to market kxd with aps-c sensor and the best features, and MF for studio work.

Besides, for pro there is no problem to take some MF body to Olimpic games, if they takes so much cameras to events - http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/index.html

Last edited by Roberts; 09-25-2008 at 02:15 PM.
09-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
Why used lenses?! Pentax still produces 645 and 67 lenses:

645 - Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX
67 - Interchangeable Lenses (for 67II) : Film Cameras : PENTAX

And You can come to conclusion that these all lenses is in production (not only listed taht there is such a lenses) taking in account that there at some lenses is writen that these is produced only by order. That means that other lenses are produced all the time. Besides in my country I saw new Pentax MF lenses in shop.
I did not know pentax still produced 645 and 67 lenses. well that changes the whole game now doesn't it? I think they could have a viable market if their 645D is priced slightly under the current competition, considering they have never really left the MF market, just haven't released a digital counterpart.
09-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I do not need a MF camera (actually, I also do not need a 135-FF camera ). However, I own a lot of 135-FF lenses :ugh: . If it is possible to build a MF camera that supports "old" 645 lenses, why should it be difficult to launch a 135-FF camera that is able to handle the FA(*)s ? Considering the price tag, the latter one seems much more attractive to me...

09-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteQuote:
why should it be difficult to launch a 135-FF camera that is able to handle the FA(*)s ?
who said it was an out right matter of difficulty? Pentax is more than capable (from an engineering standpoint) of putting together a DSLR with a 135 format sensor.
09-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
umm.... you must have missed the part about working professionals, and how MF was and still is a market dominated by people who make a living with their cameras. these people are very unlikely to rent equipment on a daily basis and would need a system of their own. this has pretty much nothing to do with Pentax APS-C and 135 film camera users.
HUH~? Ok.

I'm no expert. Maybe in other photog genres but for studio stuff, fashion and things like that, I see a LOT of renters. A LOT of renters and leasers. Indepenent photogs don't buy MF. You rent it for the project, along with whatever else you need. Either that or a lot of guys go Canon 1DS MkIII. Sure there probably are guys that fork over the bucks, but I highly doubt there are as many as the renters. But again, I'm no expert.
09-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
HUH~? Ok.

I'm no expert. Maybe in other photog genres but for studio stuff, fashion and things like that, I see a LOT of renters. A LOT of renters and leasers. Indepenent photogs don't buy MF. You rent it for the project, along with whatever else you need. Either that or a lot of guys go Canon 1DS MkIII. Sure there probably are guys that fork over the bucks, but I highly doubt there are as many as the renters. But again, I'm no expert.
actually Marcus makes an excellent point from a business standpoint.

By renting equipment, this is a 100% guarantee that you have a project, otherwise you would not rent.

You cost the rent into your agreed fee with the client, this guarantees that you do not lose any money.

you also get,

the latest technology without having to bother switching

less inventory , which has a compounded effect on your business model by
- making you less of a target for theft
- decreasing your insurance costs
- not having to worry about repair costs
- someone else to blame when shit hits the fan

clean, simple, effective.
09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
Banned

so am I to assume that all Mamiya, and hasselblad, etc, users rent and don't own? how do they do any business? I think its very unlikely people who use such cameras only rent. it doesn't make sense.

09-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

so am I to assume that all Mamiya, and hasselblad, etc, users rent and don't own? how do they do any business? I think its very unlikely people who use such cameras only rent. it doesn't make sense.
well... i'm not saying everyone should rent, but it certainly is a viable business model, depending on your needs.
09-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Couldn't agree more, very fine thread.
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
... Pentax users are known for how cheap they are, we are used to paying bargain prices for premium quality, unfortunately, this will not be the case with a MF or FF camera if you want Pentax to make it, so unless everyone here is willing to pay 3000 grand for a new unit, at the very least, i would try to end all of these silly pipe dreams.
How true...
Perhaps because of the backward compatibility, the Pentax user base is also one that harks back to the past. Time to get grounded to the present realities.
09-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
there are players besides sony/samsung... kodak - unless kodak is upset that pentax ditched their sensor once before
Just about every project that Kodak has pursued in digital has been an unmitigated flop. Perhaps there is a jinx surrounding Kodak...
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Just about every project that Kodak has pursued in digital has been an unmitigated flop. Perhaps there is a jinx surrounding Kodak...
I think it's Karma - Kodak's punishment for making the best slide film ever made a royal PITA to get developed and then discontinuing most versions of it due to the self-fulfilling prophecy of "reduced demand." Idiots.
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #44

Certainly not ALL. There are probably some owners but not many independant photogs. Some studio owners might own them as more of a business asset than a true blue ownership for those who own. I've never used MF digital but using MF is not the same type of use as using a normal DSLR. You don't want to have this huge $30,000 system lying around when you don't really need it's resolution, it's quirks, or it's bulk and it's application is limited. You need to pay an arm and a leg for a lens so you rent that. You need a blazingly fast computer system because the files are so huge so you go ahead and rent that too. Basically, it's takes a lot of money to facilitate a medium format system. It's almost like owning a big rig truck. As an owner, it takes a LOT of money across the board to keep everything running.

You can rent MF equipment, the same way you can rent lighting equipment. For 1 day, 5 days, 2 weeks, whatever. However long you need it. But if you really don't need it, it's like owning a Hummer just to pick up groceries.
09-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #45

Hi, I am a compleat noobie in this world of cameras, but have been lurking a short while here, since I am contemplating moving up from my Fuji 31fd to a DSLR and for some reason I find myself drawn towards Pentax. It may be that I'm attracted to what I perceive to be the philosophy of the company and it may also be that some of the more beautiful images I've seen over the decades have been captured with Pentax lenses - often enough for the fact to have registered with me even though I was never much "into" photography.

Two questions come to mind - one relates to the discussion about sensors. Is there a reason that Fuji is not a contender as a sensor supplier for Pentax? Sigma? It seems to me that with what Fuji is capable of accomplishing with their small sensors, especially their newly announced technique for increasing dynamic range, they should be able to make killer large sensors.
The second question pertained to the micro 4/3 format, which I find appealing indeed, and whether there was any indication that Pentax would be participating, but I now see there is another thread on that very topic.

Anyway, I love the look and feel of the K20D, but I really would like the same qualities in a smaller form.