Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Prices on used Pentax 645 glass is very low right now. If the 645D will be released they will skyrocket!

I'd like to buy the wonderful 45-85/4.5 lens and the incredible FA645 35/3,5 lens (reputedly the best wide angle ever made for medium format). The latter is almost impossible to find used and expensive new (if you can find it!). There is an older A-series manual focus 35mm lens, easy to find used, but it a different optical construction.
I already have the 33-55/4.5 and the 75/2.8, but would like to use the combo 45-85 and 35mm instead when weight is not that important, due to superior image quality.
Well, at least you're covered if ever the 645D does come into the market. A lot of us haven't even been able to shoot MF. I'm not about to consider my use of my sister's Holga as shooting MF (at least seriously).

10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe they canceled the FA645 55/2.8 because they changed the format crop of the sensor.
It would be a very logical reason. Interesting thought ..
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe they canceled the FA645 55/2.8 because they changed the format crop of the sensor.
It would be a very logical reason. Interesting thought ..

Why? There is no FA645 55/2.8. One is needed. It has the angle of view of a 35mm lens on a FF K-mount camera.
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Why? There is no FA645 55/2.8. One is needed. It has the angle of view of a 35mm lens on a FF K-mount camera.
Maybe but I bet that 55 was set to be a 75 equivallent on 645FF, due to the crop the 'normal' lens is about 55mm, if I'm not mistaken.

If the crop changes, so does the lens.

10-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe but I bet that 55 was set to be a 75 equivallent on 645FF, due to the crop the 'normal' lens is about 55mm, if I'm not mistaken.

If the crop changes, so does the lens.

I think the lens was dropped from the roadmap because Pentax frozed the 645D and its future was uncertain. I'm pretty sure the lens will go back to the roadmap, along with others, the moment a firm decision of marketing the 645D is reached.
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gooshin,
I don't beleive that process the issue. The current 300mm wafers on the samsung line could handle several MF sensors each. The process is the same as smaller sensors, although yield would be less. I think the issue is as you said, market price is to high. This always happens with small production runs.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i dont get you people...

to make a DSLR camera, you need to have either means of production, or outsourcing capabilities of the most important part of a camera

that being the digital sensor!

Pentax does not make digital sensors

Pentax can either outsource Sony sensors, like they did in the past.

or

Pentax can turn to samsung and request that they make a MF sensor.

Using sensors that are used in Nikon cameras will be futile, cuz then you just get a Nikon without the burst shooting and fast(er) AF

Asking Samsung to create an entire production line for digital sensor development is ludicrous. The ROI is simply not there. They are not building paper clips here, creating a FF or even a MF sensor that is fault free is NOT AN EASY TASK

there is a reason why current digital medium format cameras cost so much.

there is a reason why a Canon 1D is so much cheaper than a 1D's.

Pentax users are known for how cheap they are, we are used to paying bargain prices for premium quality, unfortunetly, this will not be the case with a MF or FF camera if you want Pentax to make it, so unless everyone here is willing to pay 3000 grand for a new unit, at the very least, i would try to end all of these silly pipe dreams.
10-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are those your actual hands, Pål?

Originally it was 1,2X crop. However, latest info says it will us the largest sensor available around 40-50mp. Its design makes it easy to upgrade the sensor while maintaining the body. It is also easy to clean the sensor. It also appears weather sealed.
Have you actually seen the beast?

I sure hope they muster up the knackers to do it. What a magnificent camera, esp. weather sealed. Which is probably why they pulled the 55 mm off the road map - installing rubber gaskets!

Cheers,
Cameron