Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for the long glass question, if you actually look closely at the lens roadmap the placement of the "super telephoto" box is right at 300. Its right on the line which tells me that Ben is right as to what he interpreted the Pentax spokesperson to have said. I was thinking all along that this would probably be a 300 f2.8. Then again i could be completely off as well. Only time will tell as tends to be the case with Pentax.

09-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben, I wasn't there of course to see the camera or talk to the reps but DPR has a fairly in depth review. The mount is the same as the k200D etc and is metal. I would be very surprised if they used a plastic mount after the MZ-60 etc mistake back in the film days. Reviewers and forums would jump all over this error.

Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

Pictures of the mount are on page 4. With the lenses, it doesn't really matter since they are so lightweight anyway. At the price they seem to be targeting, I'd suggest this camera will be a winner. Pentax UK is already offering a rebate. Looks like they are already shipping and ready for Christmas. Pretty impressive that it has SR at this price.

I hope they get tons of market share and loads of new customers with this one. Build a big R&D fund and start putting out more higher end lenses and bodies. The K1000 built this company and maybe this camera can do some of the same.
09-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

K-M: I am sure, this camera will appeal to many people. It is so small, it would be a great carry-along second body for many K20 or K10 users, too. Dealers list it at 499 Euros, including the NEW 18-55 lens. Pentax has released two lenses which will only be available in a kit with the K-M, the mentioned 18-55 and the 50-200, both in a more lightweight, more plasticky version, than the standard DAs. The K-M and those two new lenses have plastic mounts. I think, this is good enough for occasional use and the typical holiday snapper and the advantage of the low eight might "outweigh" longevity considerations. I am just not sure, I would hang a Bigma from that mount...

Ben
It's not micro 4/3's, but it's very small, and the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a terrific body to hang a DA 35mm limited macro, DA 21 limited, DA 15mm limited, or another small lens on and carry around like a P&S. I sorta use my K100D like that now, but to get the 10MP and updated features in an even smaller package - very sweet...

You could have a boatload of fun having a "wide-angle walkaround day" with the K-M and the new 15mm limited, or a casual-macro day with the 35, etc... all the while remaining very unobtrusive. Fun stuff.

09-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ben, I wasn't there of course to see the camera or talk to the reps but DPR has a fairly in depth review. The mount is the same as the k200D etc and is metal. I would be very surprised if they used a plastic mount after the MZ-60 etc mistake back in the film days. Reviewers and forums would jump all over this error.

Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

Pictures of the mount are on page 4. With the lenses, it doesn't really matter since they are so lightweight anyway. At the price they seem to be targeting, I'd suggest this camera will be a winner. Pentax UK is already offering a rebate. Looks like they are already shipping and ready for Christmas. Pretty impressive that it has SR at this price.

I hope they get tons of market share and loads of new customers with this one. Build a big R&D fund and start putting out more higher end lenses and bodies. The K1000 built this company and maybe this camera can do some of the same.
Yes, the images on dpreview look very much like the usual metal bayonette. I'll clarify that after my holidays, which start that weekend...

Pentax positions it as a*complementary product to the K200 and it has many basic features of the bigger modell (sensor, SR, dust removal, the 2.7-inch monitor, etc.). Some things have been scaled down, like the number of AF points to 5, only 4 images in a series, no lcd on top...) Many people will be delighted, that it still uses 4 AA batteries.

I think, it is a winner with the christmas shoppers.

Ben

09-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It's not micro 4/3's, but it's very small, and the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a terrific body to hang a DA 35mm limited macro, DA 21 limited, DA 15mm limited, or another small lens on and carry around like a P&S. I sorta use my K100D like that now, but to get the 10MP and updated features in an even smaller package - very sweet...

You could have a boatload of fun having a "wide-angle walkaround day" with the K-M and the new 15mm limited, or a casual-macro day with the 35, etc... all the while remaining very unobtrusive. Fun stuff.
Yes, I think so, too. It is hardly bigger than a good compact camera. I think it is even smaller than some bridge cameras. Combined with one of those diminutive limiteds, it is very, very compact. May be with that we can finally get around those many restrictions nowadays imposed on DSLR photogs in public spaces?

Ben
09-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I think, it is a winner with the christmas shoppers.
if there will be any shoppers left this year
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

where has mr benjikan gone? he hasn't posted in almost a week. thats bigger than ny camera show...

09-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
if there will be any shoppers left this year
In Europe ans Asia there will - it takes some time for the big crash to cross the pond...

Ben
09-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #24
Inactive Account

When Pentax was still on its own, they might have done that, even if it wouldn't make economic sense. But under the Hoya leadership, Pentax will concentrate on products that actually earn money.

Ben
It's also one of my biggest doubt to Hoya. See Sony is growing so fast but still losing money. I still remember Pentax mentioned about Hoya's determination of not losing money from Pentax Imaging in last PMA. Until now, I still can't see they take any aggressive action, rather, they seem to hold back a lot on every possible development which considered less comparative. I'm really not sure how long this kind of strategy could last. From this photokina interview, I don't think Pentax has given an effective response to the price drop of 35mm camera in the future.
09-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
It's also one of my biggest doubt to Hoya. See Sony is growing so fast but still losing money. I still remember Pentax mentioned about Hoya's determination of not losing money from Pentax Imaging in last PMA. Until now, I still can't see they take any aggressive action, rather, they seem to hold back a lot on every possible development which considered less comparative. I'm really not sure how long this kind of strategy could last. From this photokina interview, I don't think Pentax has given an effective response to the price drop of 35mm camera in the future.
That the 35mm DSLRs are dropping in price is probably why Hoya will not address it at this point in time. Why play in a market segment that will garner less and less profit margins? And an even smaller target market?

APS-C would still generate bigger margins in the long run because of the ability to share common components and a lot of other technologies between bodies. And a much larger market base.
09-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
That the 35mm DSLRs are dropping in price is probably why Hoya will not address it at this point in time. Why play in a market segment that will garner less and less profit margins? And an even smaller target market?

APS-C would still generate bigger margins in the long run because of the ability to share common components and a lot of other technologies between bodies. And a much larger market base.
I agree, but IMO the speed that Sony grows is because it gives its users a very strong future to expect (also because the SONY brand I suppose). It throws cash into R&D regardless considering the market's response and quickly expands its market share. Now Sony is in a steady place for its future development. I can totally understand why Pentax does not consider a 35mm camera, however, we have not seen any huge technical upgrade even in APS-C field neither.

IMO it is not too late for Pentax to start the 645D project. When the sensor price drops, Pentax would have a slower but even better IQ camera to compete with.

Last edited by yakiniku; 09-27-2008 at 02:39 AM.
09-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
I agree, but IMO the speed that Sony grows is because it gives its users a very strong future to expect (also because the SONY brand I suppose). It throws cash into R&D regardless considering the market's response and quickly expands its market share. Now Sony is in a steady place for its future development. I can totally understand why Pentax does not consider a 35mm camera, however, we have not seen any huge technical upgrade even in APS-C field neither.
But this kind of strategy did not always paid for ROI.
Doing things that way is very costly and risky. Sony's big company? Yes but if in 5 years, money doesn't earn as much as planned, we shall see blood everywhere... IMO
09-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #28
Banned

the K2000/K-m WILL have a stainless steel body mount. only the DA L lenses will have a plastic mount.

taken from: PENTAX Digital SLR - The New Classic
http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/digital/slr/k-m/feature.html

K2000
Lens Mount: - PENTAX KAF3 bayonet stainless steel mount compatible with PENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF AND KA mount lenses
- SDM function
- K-mount lenses usable with restrictions
- S-mount lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions
- 67/645 lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions
09-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the K2000/K-m WILL have a stainless steel body mount. only the DA L lenses will have a plastic mount.
Thanks for looking that up.

Ben
09-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The German press release says explicitly "light weight thanks to construction of body AND bayonett with plastics"
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The mount is the same as the k200D etc and is metal.
Yes, the images on dpreview look very much like the usual metal bayonette.
Thanks for looking that up.
The K-m bayonett is metal. I saw it first hand and the product manager of Pentax Europe very much emphasized this very fact in a presentation. Making obvious that K-m is not a camera positioned "under" K200D but alongside with the additional benefit of being smaller. Which is the reason why it wasn't called K2000D (outside the US, at least).

It also was heard that early dealer orders for K-m have already reached a level where supply may not be guaranteed at some point in time...