Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #1096
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
In before Pentax shows two lenses - 70-210 and 70-200.
Yeeees.

01-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #1097
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Yeeees.
Both FF?
01-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #1098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh no, please don't tell me they will release updated, KAF4 and new SDM-ed D-FA* 70-200 2.8 alongside this pentamron... not after I spent almost 2000 Euros on the older DC version...
01-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #1099
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Not in all cases. One can't for example update the lens eprom with in body adjustment and even with debug menu its voiding the warranty. Also one cant fix different focal length focus issues with that solution for zoom lenses. Programmable focus digital limiter feature is also possible with dock unit.
My experience with Pentax lenses is that they have not needed tweaking for multiple different focal lengths in order to function perfectly. It has not been so good with Sigma. The reason for the adjustment dock is to attempt to take care of errors that they have with their reverse engineering other brand's auto focus protocols.

If you have an issue with focus that is minor, of course you can adjust it with the body adjustment, but if necessary, you can certainly send the lens and body to Pentax and they will adjust it to specifications. That is not true with a Tamron or Sigma lens.

01-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #1100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My experience with Pentax lenses is that they have not needed tweaking for multiple different focal lengths in order to function perfectly. It has not been so good with Sigma. The reason for the adjustment dock is to attempt to take care of errors that they have with their reverse engineering other brand's auto focus protocols.

If you have an issue with focus that is minor, of course you can adjust it with the body adjustment, but if necessary, you can certainly send the lens and body to Pentax and they will adjust it to specifications. That is not true with a Tamron or Sigma lens.
Well, there are different cases I know of. Not enough to make any statistics about it but I am pretty confident that this is ot an issue exclusive to specific brands.
01-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #1101
Pentaxian

Good for you I had better experience with both Sigma and Tamron service centers over the years than Pentax one, first under Hoya and then Ricoh. Most of my OEM gear was perfect out of the box, but stuff I had to send out for warranty was very bad experience.

As of today in my opinion Tamron Europe, under FocusNordic have probably the best quality service of any brand I had chance to deal with. They also service Pentax for Nordic countries, but for Poland I would need to send my gear to Germany or France by local distributor pickup point(one for whole country), and then they take minimum a month to complete any case.
01-21-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Not in all cases. One can't for example update the lens eprom with in body adjustment and even with debug menu its voiding the warranty. Also one cant fix different focal length focus issues with that solution for zoom lenses. Programmable focus digital limiter feature is also possible with dock unit.
Sure, but why should all this not be possible (technically) also from the camera? If the K-mount supports these protocols also the camera could handle it, if Ricoh would see a benefit in it. A dock is necessary for third party lenses, that don't have native mount support from "their" cameras.
01-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #1103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Sure, but why should all this not be possible (technically) also from the camera? If the K-mount supports these protocols also the camera could handle it, if Ricoh would see a benefit in it. A dock is necessary for third party lenses, that don't have native mount support from "their" cameras.
That would be even better, because the shoot test photo , adjust, test, repeat etc. phase would be much more efficient without moving the whole setup.

01-21-2020, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #1104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I think all of this sounds terrible. Who really wants to get a lens and then shoot test shots with the lens at four or five different focal lengths with close, middle and infinity focus shots for each one. I guess I'm old school but I want the lens to work right out of the box and I don't want to be the beta tester to fix Tamron or Sigma or Pentax's issues. I'm willing to do a single test and dial in the lens correction to the camera, but this sort of thing is something I would rather leave to technicians who are way better at it than I am (and are being paid to do it as well).
01-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #1105
Pentaxian

Personally, I think all of this sounds terrible. Who really wants to get a lens and then shoot test shots with the lens at four or five different focal lengths with close, middle and infinity focus shots for each one. I guess I'm old school but I want the lens to work right out of the box and I don't want to be the beta tester to fix Tamron or Sigma or Pentax's issues. I'm willing to do a single test and dial in the lens correction to the camera, but this sort of thing is something I would rather leave to technicians who are way better at it than I am (and are being paid to do it as well).
Having multiple options, is better than having one option. If one would like a technician to make the adjustment for him/her, other ways are still valid. Dock/advanced in body adjustment is just an option to do something by yourself, not a mandatory device to use.
01-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #1106
Pentaxian

720/4
Huh?

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
In before Pentax shows two lenses - 70-210 and 70-200.
I have to say I can not understand that sentence. What does "in before" mean?
And how does the number 720 fit to the two lenses you mentioned?

Yeeees.
Huh?

The only thing I could decypher here is that there is more than one F4 lens.
720 minus 210 is 510.

If you hint at the roadmap then there is the FF 55-300mm still missing.

If I take 70+210=280 and subtract this from 720 then I have left 440. Doesnt fit.

Also the "/4" would be rather surprising for a longer telezoom.

Or it is actually three lenses and the third could be the APSC standard zoom 16-50/4 type.

So a FF 70-210/4 plus FF 70-300/4 plus APSC 16-54/4?

Interesting....
01-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #1107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I have to say I can not understand that sentence. What does "in before" mean?
He was joking, as in "I am stating this here first, before you all, there will be 70-210 and a 70-200, you heard it here first and I was the first".
01-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #1108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
He was joking, as in "I am stating this here first, before you all, there will be 70-210 and a 70-200, you heard it here first and I was the first".
What happened to the art of writing full sentences?
Thanks for your attempt to clarify!
01-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #1109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Gone

(this joke was too short to be posted without additional text )
01-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #1110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote

QuoteQuote:
Text message essay baffles British teacher

Monday, March 3, 2003 Posted: 10:17 AM EST (1517 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An English essay written by a British teenager in text messaging short-hand has reignited concern among teachers that literacy standards are under threat.
The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Monday that the 13-year-old's teacher could not decipher what the youngster had written.

"I could not believe what I was seeing. The page was riddled with hieroglyphics, many of which I simply could not translate," the teacher told the newspaper.

The girl's essay began: "My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc."

Which in translation from text messaging shorthand would read: "My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York. It's a great place."

Judith Gillespie, of the Scottish Parent Teacher Council, told the newspaper a decline in grammar and written English was partly linked to the text messaging craze.

"Pupils think orally and write phonetically," she said.