Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
So the DFA70-200/4.0 is still listed as spring 2019. That's pretty soon!

Nice to see the DFA*85/1.4 still listed for release this year too....
In fact, they are showing a prototype of the DFA* 85 at CP+ {some are already calling it the "weighty eighty"}
KP custom,DFA*85/1.4 CP+ Exhibit - PentaxForums.com

02-26-2019, 09:51 PM - 4 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In fact, they are showing a prototype of the DFA* 85 at CP+ {some are already calling it the "weighty eighty"}
No kidding?

I'm pretty sure I actually coined the term "Weighty Eigthy" (and "Fat Fifty" for that matter)
02-27-2019, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll add a dirty thirty then.
02-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No kidding?

I'm pretty sure I actually coined the term "Weighty Eigthy" (and "Fat Fifty" for that matter)
As a non native speaker playing with words does not come so natural, but how about the "Hefty Fifty". Yes, I know, it doesn't sound so smooth...

03-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From another thread...

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In the CP+ on-stage interview between Kimio Tanaka and Ricoh engineers, Tanaka went through the items on the roadmap one by one, trying to get more information.

Having seen the video of the Thursday session, as well as the one I attended myself, I feel confident that I’ve understood what was said, even though it was rather vague and incomplete.

A lot of this was the interviewer throwing out numbers and the product planning guy reacting with with either denials or positively or something unbetween. There’s a lot of scope for misunderstanding, but this is what I understood.

DFA 70-200/4 - Has been delayed for some unspecified reason. The key characteristics of this lens will be that it is small and lightweight.

The longer telezoom - Expect 70-300.
Small, lightweight, and f4?
That doesn't sound like the Tokina or the Tamron... as neither is particularly light or small (or even a 70-200 in the case of the Tamron...)

Maybe Pentax has been working on the sly with Canon... after all, they've just introduced this, which looks pretty cool...
Canon shows forthcoming RF lenses including radical 70-200mm F2.8 IS: Digital Photography Review

But if anything, it makes it sound more like an in-house design, which I'm obviously OK with
That would also explain a delay due to a technical hitch... I wouldn't assume any large technical hitches on a 3rd party re-brand, that being part of the advantage of such an arrangement...

Oh, well, good thing we have football (soccer) season twice a year...

-Eric
03-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
From another thread...

Small, lightweight, and f4?
That doesn't sound like the Tokina or the Tamron... as neither is particularly light or small (or even a 70-200 in the case of the Tamron...)

Maybe Pentax has been working on the sly with Canon... after all, they've just introduced this, which looks pretty cool...
Canon shows forthcoming RF lenses including radical 70-200mm F2.8 IS: Digital Photography Review

But if anything, it makes it sound more like an in-house design, which I'm obviously OK with
That would also explain a delay due to a technical hitch... I wouldn't assume any large technical hitches on a 3rd party re-brand, that being part of the advantage of such an arrangement...

Oh, well, good thing we have football (soccer) season twice a year...

-Eric
So it could be a design like the 55-300 PLM?
03-06-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #97
Forum Member

If the D FA 70-200 f4 is delayed beyond May I'm very likely to jump ship.

I need to vent. I'm tired of Pentax delays, especially when it comes to FF lens. I have no beef about the cost because the quality is (usually) really high, but the delays, trickling production of new lenses, especially when combined with the relatively limited number of existing D FA lenses and withering away of third-party lens support is *so* frustrating for me. Is there *any* competitor camera and lens manufacturer out there that does not have a 70-200mm f4 some three years after launch of a new system or mount? The brand new Lumix S series, for example, has one straight out of the gate with a 10 or 20 more lenses coming (many curtesy of Sigma, of course) within a year or two. Yes, the Panasonic f4 is a tad heavier that other 70-200 f4 lenses out there, but it has one clear advantage over the Pentax - it exists. With Pentax's refusal to even entertain the possibility of entering the mirrorless market, it may be time for me to jump ship (and probably for the Lumix S series).

I've had my K-1 for about a year and I love it - it's a spectacular camera - but have been holding out for the D FA 70-200 f4 to give me exactly what I'm looking for (I shoot almost entirely landscape and really don't need or even want the f2.8 either from a shooting perspective, a weight perspective, or a cost perspective).

Rant over.

03-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Socrateeze Quote

I need to vent. I'm tired of Pentax delays, especially when it comes to FF lens. I have no beef about the cost because the quality is (usually) really high, but the delays, trickling production of new lenses, especially when combined with the relatively limited number of existing D FA lenses and withering away of third-party lens support is *so* frustrating for me. Is there *any* competitor camera and lens manufacturer out there that does not have a 70-200mm f4 some three years after launch of a new system or mount? The brand new Lumix S series, for example, has one straight out of the gate with a 10 or 20 more lenses coming (many curtesy of Sigma, of course) within a year or two. Yes, the Panasonic f4 is a tad heavier that other 70-200 f4 lenses out there, but it has one clear advantage over the Pentax - it exists. With Pentax's refusal to even entertain the possibility of entering the mirrorless market, it may be time for me to jump ship (and probably for the Lumix S series).

I've had my K-1 for about a year and I love it - it's a spectacular camera - but have been holding out for the D FA 70-200 f4 to give me exactly what I'm looking for (I shoot almost entirely landscape and really don't need or even want the f2.8 either from a shooting perspective, a weight perspective, or a cost perspective).

Rant over.
I get the rant. I can relate.

About the 70-200. I did get the tamron 2.8. Because the pentax is way to heavy for me. Spectacular but i can't hold it long enough. The tamron is light and very good by f4.
it's cheap second hand. It's a good alternative, even though it's not exactly what you want.
03-06-2019, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Socrateeze Quote

Rant over.
Buy a DA* 60-250 f/4.0 with a very easy modification will be FF compatible.
03-06-2019, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

We have to understand what we can reasonably expect from Ricoh Imaging - and what we can't. This isn't any sort of excuse (I've been accused to "excuse" Pentax when I say they won't keep up with Sony :rolling eyes; but information on which we can decide.

It seems that Pentax was (is?) struggling with their production system. Long neglected - I doubt Hoya invested much - to the point high end lenses just couldn't be made. So they worked to solve that (and voila, their first high end lenses in a while).
I have no solid evidence, but it looks to me there is an effect i.e. fewer defects, in cameras and lenses. No, that doesn't mean zero defects; that is un-achievable at any cost.
Now they have to somewhat ramp up their speed, too.

Sigma has their Art series - the "speed" of introducing these lenses for the L mount, they're just adapting existing models. If you're comparing building in adapters on existing lenses with working on completely new designs, you're in for disappointment.
03-06-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We have to understand what we can reasonably expect from Ricoh Imaging - and what we can't. This isn't any sort of excuse (I've been accused to "excuse" Pentax when I say they won't keep up with Sony :rolling eyes; but information on which we can decide.

It seems that Pentax was (is?) struggling with their production system. Long neglected - I doubt Hoya invested much - to the point high end lenses just couldn't be made. So they worked to solve that (and voila, their first high end lenses in a while).
I have no solid evidence, but it looks to me there is an effect i.e. fewer defects, in cameras and lenses. No, that doesn't mean zero defects; that is un-achievable at any cost.
Now they have to somewhat ramp up their speed, too.

Sigma has their Art series - the "speed" of introducing these lenses for the L mount, they're just adapting existing models. If you're comparing building in adapters on existing lenses with working on completely new designs, you're in for disappointment.
Most of Sigma lenses from current 3 lines can be easily "chopped" into two specialized parts- front block that holds lens assembly and motor, and smaller back block that hold lens logic unit, bayonet,contacts and connection flexes that are used for communication between the two parts. Sony E versions re-released lenses are just the same front, coupled with different lens back to provide proper distance to mirror-less camera sensor
03-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Reasonable suggestion, I think, especially considering the high quality of that lens. I believe that a number of K-1 users have opted for the modified 60-250/4 and have had good success using it in various settings including landscape. It's smaller than the Lumix S 70-200 and only slightly heavier by 6%.

However, it seems that @Socrateeze is firmly set on getting a 70-200/4 specifically. Also, they appear to be heading towards a mirrorless system. Nothing wrong with that, and there are numerous options in that domain.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-06-2019 at 09:25 AM.
03-07-2019, 01:43 AM   #103
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I had not even considered the idea of the DA* 60-250 f/4 to be honest. What is involved in the modification? Is the image quality impacted by that modification at all? Does it still function as a 60-250 on FF?

In general, I'm hesitant about such modifications based on the intuition (which I'm happy to be corrected about) that taking an image designed to fall on an APS-C sensor and then making some modification to spread that image out to a FF sensor will magnify any image quality issues. (The reverse would be different, I suspect, since images tend to be crisper towards the centre.)
03-07-2019, 02:34 AM   #104
Pentaxian

It's not about spreading the image, it's about removing/modifying (I'm not sure which) a baffle that prevents the light from reaching the outer parts of the FF sensor. There are threads about this on the forum, but I couldn't find one ATM.

---------- Post added 07-03-19 at 10:39 ----------

Here is one: Pentax DA* 60-250 ED Modification - PentaxForums.com
03-07-2019, 04:37 AM - 3 Likes   #105
Pentaxian

To do the modification I have to suggest not the forum thread but this article: Modifying the DA* 60-250mm F4 for Full Frame - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
What I did:
  1. Remove the rear baffle
  2. With a Dremel cut the circular border (I used the sand paper tool)
  3. Paint the area with this: BLACK 2.0 - The world?s mattest, flattest, black art material by Stuar ? Culture Hustle
  4. Reassemble

Now I have a spectacular 60-250 f/4.0...it is my most used lens that works also with film era cameras.

Last edited by Andrea K; 03-07-2019 at 04:48 AM.