Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 04:20 AM   #616
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Thanks for filling in some of the holes.

-Eric
You're welcome!

10-17-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #617
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
All we can do is wait patiently. I'd be very happy to get a 70-200 f/4. I do hope it comes out before i retire.
until the arrival of DFA 70-200 / 4 most users of FA 80-320 / 4,5-5,6 (silver) will look like this
10-17-2019, 06:01 AM   #618
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Of course a delay of the 70-200 is disappointing but I think revamping the DA* zoom lenses is a smart priority.
The delay in the launch of the HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4 is a certainty, not a rumour, since the roadmaps successively published on 27 February 2018, 29 June 2018 and 31 January 2019 mentioned 'Spring 2019' as tentative announcement date whereas the latest one, the roadmap published on 28 February 2019, mentions '2019 or later'.

One may wonder what happened during the four weeks between the 31st of January and the 28th of February to lead to such a change.

According to D850&K-1MarkⅡ
QuoteOriginally posted by D850&K-1MarkⅡ:
モックアップも既にあるらしい。
今年の1月時点で既に精巧なモックアップまであると聞いたのでマーケティングのやり直しかな?
an elaborate mock-up of the HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4 was ready in January 2019. May be this mock-up was meant to be showcased at CP+ 2019 but, if it exists, we haven't seen it.

D850&K-1MarkⅡ justifies this delay by a change in priorities due to the scheduling of the K-New's launch in early 2020 and the necessity to have a series of DA★ lenses with performances matching those of the new camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by D850&K-1MarkⅡ:
いずれにせよ、新型APS-Cフラグシップモデルの発売が2020年初めにあるので、それに合わせてDA ⭐︎シリーズレンズの高性能化が急務らしいのでこっちを優先していると思われる。
(be careful, the ⭐︎ disturbs Google Translate which does a poor job of translating the whole sentence)

But again, are D850&K-1MarkⅡ's considerations based on something substantial or a mere guesstimate?
10-17-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am amazed that anyone takes a Tweet from an anonymous Tweeter seriously. To be noted and forgotten. Except for the Pentax Forums raffle there is absolutely no need or value in commenting on a Tweet. If we ignore Twitter maybe it will go away

10-17-2019, 06:38 AM - 4 Likes   #620
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
But again, are D850&K-1MarkⅡ's considerations based on something substantial or a mere guesstimate?
Well, this is a rumor and should be treated as such. However, I've had a look a this person's Twitter thread and I don't think what is said should be dismissed out of hand.

- If you go back, you can see this person likes to speculate about what Pentax might do. It is normally presented as pure speculation and not "I know something"
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ says he went to the Pentax 100 event and shows images from it. This event was all afternoon and in the evening there was a chance to socialize with the Ricoh Imaging staff. So he probably did have a chance to speak to them directly.
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ's phrasing since then is more like "I heard from someone" - more definite than before.

In addition there are some points that echo what I heard at the Kimio Tanaka presentation at CP+ earlier this year.
- When the Ricoh interviewee was asked about the 70-200/4 he looked very dejected. I don't remember what he said exactly, but it sounded like it had been pushed right back and he didn't want to talk about it.
- Tanaka-san mentioned that a new Aerobright 3 coating is coming, much to the apparent surprise of the Ricoh managers present. He didn't mention it on subsequent days, so perhaps they told him to stop talking about it. Now D850&K-1MarkⅡ is saying that the 85/1.4 may have a new coating.

There is at least some identifiable thread back to Ricoh with these tweets. People take other rumor starters more seriously with no visible thread at all.

Last edited by JPT; 10-17-2019 at 08:39 AM.
10-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, this is a rumor and should be treated as such. However, I've had a look a this person's Twitter thread and I don't think what is said should be dismissed out of hand.

- If you go back, you can see this person likes to speculate about what Pentax might do. It is normally presented as pure speculation and not "I know something"
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ says he went to the Pentax 100 event and shows images from it. This event was all afternoon and in the evening there was a change to socialize with the Ricoh Imaging staff. So he probably did have a chance to speak to them directly.
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ's phrasing since then is more like "I heard from someone" - more definitely than before.

In addition there are some points that echo what I heard at the Kimio Tanaka presentation at CP+ earlier this year.
- When the Ricoh interviewee was asked about the 70-200/4 he looked very dejected. I don't remember what he said exactly, but it sounded like it had been pushed right back and he didn't want to talk about it.
- Tanaka-san mentioned that a new Aerobright 3 coating is coming, much to the apparent surprise of the Ricoh managers present. He didn't mention it on subsequent days, so perhaps they told him to stop talking about it. Now D850&K-1MarkⅡ is saying that the 85/1.4 may have a new coating.

There is at least some identifiable thread back to Ricoh with these tweets. People take other rumor starters more seriously with not visible thread at all.
Finally, some fresh meat to chew on!

I dunno how I feel about the whole premise of a 70-200 F4... my Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is much lighter than most of the other F2.8 alternatives, pretty compact for what it is, and even at that, I stopped carrying it in liue of my DA*300 and FA77mm... and don't miss the in between FL's too much. I guess it is all about convenience and reach over quality. I mean, if I am going to a windy dusty outdoor event and I don't want to be changing lenses, I guess I want a high quality lightweight zoom, (assuming it is not large and heavy like the 60-250) and the F4 lens might be that lens, but the image quality would have to be outstanding with the only drawback being the slower fstop, otherwise why bother? Just my .02
Eric
10-17-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Finally, some fresh meat to chew on!
You sure it's not beef jerky? We seem to be chewing on rumours and not new confirmed information...

10-17-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
You sure it's not beef jerky? We seem to be chewing on rumours and not new confirmed information...
The beef jerky is just what some of us need to chew on during the long wait, and, to enhance our excuses for posting during a contest month.
Eric
10-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #624
Pentaxian

- D850&K-1MarkⅡ says he went to the Pentax 100 event and shows images from it. This event was all afternoon and in the evening there was a change to socialize with the Ricoh Imaging staff. So he probably did have a chance to speak to them directly.
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ's phrasing since then is more like "I heard from someone" - more definitely than before.

There is at least some identifiable thread back to Ricoh with these tweets. People take other rumor starters more seriously with not visible thread at all.
Thank you very much for taking the time to look at D850&K-1MarkⅡ's tweet history and his credibility.
10-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

- D850&K-1MarkⅡ says he went to the Pentax 100 event and shows images from it. This event was all afternoon and in the evening there was a chance to socialize with the Ricoh Imaging staff. So he probably did have a chance to speak to them directly.
- D850&K-1MarkⅡ's phrasing since then is more like "I heard from someone" - more definite than before.

There is at least some identifiable thread back to Ricoh with these tweets. People take other rumor starters more seriously with no visible thread at all.
Interesting...I guess I'll just have to wait. As a Pentaxian, I'm used to that by now.
10-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's already been delayed. Some further delay, I'd be OK with. But development suspended would not be a good situation. Given that's a had a pretty high profile on the roadmaps they have shown, having it stopped, and possibly not replaced by other things would not be a positive sign.
10-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #627
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
It's already been delayed. Some further delay, I'd be OK with. But development suspended would not be a good situation. Given that's a had a pretty high profile on the roadmaps they have shown, having it stopped, and possibly not replaced by other things would not be a positive sign.
IIRC it took years to actually produce the 60-250. Other stuff kept bumping it off the table.
10-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #628
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC it took years to actually produce the 60-250. Other stuff kept bumping it off the table.
Not only that: the pre-series were poor (I had the opportunity to briefly use two different copies in November 2008): odd action of the zoom ring, autofocus problems, blurred pictures, high coma aberration, you name it.

They had therefore to postpone the launch, from December 2008 to January 2009 to spring 2009 to, eventually, the 24th of April, 2009.
10-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #629
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Delays in the release of the 60-250 in 2008 were the reason I purchased a 300mm DA*, never regretted that move. Having both the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and the 55-300 PLM probably not in a hurry for the 70-200 F4 to fill a zoom gap, more interested in the coming primes.
10-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #630
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
All we can do is wait patiently. I'd be very happy to get a 70-200 f/4. I do hope it comes out before i retire.
That's not *quite* the only option...

... One option is that we can wait *impatiently*. I've been increasingly doing that since they changed their roadmap release date from "Spring 2019" to the vague and open-ended "2019 or later". Before that I was waiting patiently.

... Or we can stop waiting completely and simply leave Pentax for greener fields where we can actually get the FF lenses we need or really want for the photography we love to do.

I hope it comes out before I'm *dead*.