Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Additional comments: Rupert was a natural story teller. The following threads give a sense of what he was like
Otis' Annual Christmas Drive - PentaxForums.com
You Lookin' For Me? - PentaxForums.com
That Your New Bigma? - PentaxForums.com
She Wants To Be A Famous Model...... - PentaxForums.com
Otis Wants You! - PentaxForums.com

Then there is the thread he started that became a general depository of squirrel photos, and became "In Memorial of Rupert" after he died
Got Squirrel Shots? (In memorial of Rupert) - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, my wife was taken aback that I grieved for someone across the ocean I'd never met , just bantered with on this forum.

12-23-2018, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Otis Appreciation

Clackers/REH:

thanks for the understanding of the Otis phenomenon. I read Rupert's thread about his studio retirement and his love of photography and was inspired. I'll look at more old threads of this eccentric, interesting fellow. Appreciate it.
12-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #138
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Clackers/REH:

thanks for the understanding of the Otis phenomenon. I read Rupert's thread about his studio retirement and his love of photography and was inspired. I'll look at more old threads of this eccentric, interesting fellow. Appreciate it.
BTW - wander over to the "Non-Pentax" Section
Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com
Two of the first six threads listed were started by 'Rupert' ..... 1 year and 4 days after he passed on.
12-23-2018, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Any camera is a pro camera if you are making money with it. I make money on realestate photos made by a smartphone therefore smartphone is a pro camera.
You're being too technical. In the camera world "pro" is a class of cameras, not if you make money with the camera or not. Usually professional photographers buy cameras in the "pro" class.

12-28-2018, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

I Wonder why everyone is giving credit in posting in the other "DPR" thread, whereas this one is - form very far - the best.

Please, convince-me that Pentax Forums is NOT a brunch of masochistic kamikazes !
12-28-2018, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We are just very discerning people. We point out problems with this article too. We seperate the wheat from the chaff. Most sites, articles, and tests are not that good. In my first logic class we were tasked with taking one newspaper and find five logical fallacies put forth as valid arguments. We all though this was ridiculous there could be so many. The professor was right. It was easy for a 2 week student of logic to do. There was little overlap in our findings because there were so many. We need to be critical when reading anything we take as information.
12-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Please, convince-me that Pentax Forums is NOT a brunch of masochistic kamikazes !
A year or so back, there was some chatter about a volume discount on Prozac.....

12-28-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, my wife was taken aback that I grieved for someone across the ocean I'd never met , just bantered with on this forum.
Rupert has over 2,900 photos posted on Flickr. If anyone is interested in viewing his photos they had better check them out soon because just after the first of the year Flickr will be paring down non Pro account photos back to 1,000.

12-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #144
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Rupert has over 2,900 photos posted on Flickr. If anyone is interested in viewing his photos they had better check them out soon because just after the first of the year Flickr will be paring down non Pro account photos back to 1,000.
Unfortunately, that will trash a lot of his posts here.
12-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #145
Pentaxian

I think they are going to freeze accounts. A lot of people were concerned. The CEO did 2 ask me anything on reddit.
12-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I think they are going to freeze accounts. A lot of people were concerned. The CEO did 2 ask me anything on reddit.
When did they decide that? Last I heard they were giving folks till just after the first of the year to limit their free portfolio to 1,000 files. I don't bother with reddit, PF keeps me rather occupied laughing at the "Pentax ought to do what I want carping".
12-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #147
Pentaxian

They were working on it but couldn't say how they could implement it. The other main thing they were doing was making it easy to link BBCode from phones.
I hope both are true.
https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/a71mh3/hi_my_name_is_don_macaskill_and_im_the_cofounder/

Last edited by swanlefitte; 12-29-2018 at 08:43 PM.
12-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #148
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
They were working on it but couldn't say how they could implement it. The other main thing they were doing was making it easy to link BBCode from phones.
I hope both are true.
Hi! My name is Don MacAskill, and I'm the Co-Founder, CEO & Chief Geek at SmugMug and now Flickr since we bought them last summer. AMA! : photography
In addition, I found the following statements in the thread you pointed us to

"We are actively saving accounts for photographers who are no longer with us"

"How do you actively do that though... Unless someone tells you they're dead. Especially when you have millions of users, I guess only the most well known dead people will be the ones that get saved everyone is screwed."

"They can only do so much. If someone reports it they save it.. if no one reports it.. they can't be expected to save it I think. Unreasonable to expect otherwise."
12-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
A year or so back, there was some chatter about a volume discount on Prozac.....

Sorry, still too young for this.
12-31-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Sorry, still too young for this.
I'd suggest the whiners in need of the stuff go for a long walk in the woods and take some pictures instead. That type of therapy does wonders!