Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Whereas hard-core testing web sites which test cameras through to their bones, esp. on how well various features are implemented, tend to vote down Pentax cameras (such as DPReview does).
"This lens makes green fences green!"

11-24-2018, 07:08 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Whereas hard-core testing web sites which test cameras through to their bones, esp. on how well various features are implemented, tend to vote down Pentax cameras (such as DPReview does).
If you wanted to suggest that DPReview tests cameras through to their bones then you must be joking.

DPReview struggles with understanding what a fair/useful test is and in cases they are not completely wrong, they often fail to properly execute their methodology.

In any event, Pentax cameras are so well-made regarding the feature set they intend to deliver that they do very well even when tested "through to their bones". They fall short of being an ideal sports camera and/or ideal video camera, but practically all other aspects, Pentax cameras do very well indeed.
11-24-2018, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is natural, that web sites which focus on features sets tend to vote up the K-1 II (or Pentax in general).

It'll always be like that.
DPReview traditionally prefers mirrorless as the standard, yet they always seem to discount Pentax for their weight rather than instill points for durability and build quality....Oh well, Pentax's abilities are for the few not the many...
11-25-2018, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is natural, that web sites which focus on features sets tend to vote up the K-1 II (or Pentax in general).

It'll always be like that.
Pentax cameras aren't perfect. They aren't the best at doing tracking auto focus and lag a bit in video performance as well.

That said, DP Review is not a hard core testing site and when they did a shoot around with the DFA *50 they disparaged it for a number of things while true hard core testing sites have released reviews since then which show the DFA *50 has some of the best performance of a 50mm lens available. Not a site I would trust to give good reviews.

11-25-2018, 04:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I find dpreview's opinion always biased. I'd prefer one of PF's staff to do the review. In youtube, I prefer cameraville. At least it's a side by side comparison.
11-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DP Review is obsessed with size of gear. "This camera is big. This lens is big. And by the way, did we mention how big it is?" Not the sort of thing a serious site would focus overly much on.
11-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Review site often do reviews for money, bias is to be expected, as the content is agreed with camera makers, most of the time. DPReview is a company, with staff they have to pay wages, they obviously don't put efforts and opinions based on how much content and of often the content appears in articles and videos. And now they are part of amazon, they publish content on what's likely to generate more sales on amazon. Mirrorless is promoted as revolutionary, which sounds totally made up to me when I confront those arguments to my own experience. There is a video about the Z6 or Z7 being such a be difference vs DSLR, I don't get it, my experience in the field tells me that seeing and framing have nothing to do with the camera being used. When I use the Pentax K1, I find some things not always working properly, but when I use a Canon I find some of Pentax features completely missing. Now, if someone would say that ILC are lagging behind mobile phones in terms of user interface and software, I would fully agree, But comparing different brands of camera is more like comparing yellow apple to green apple to a red apple, IMO, they all have about 95% overlapping features and they all are old tech compared to smartphones.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-25-2018 at 07:35 AM.
11-25-2018, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K-1 II. Given its performance, build, features, and styling, I would say it has no lacking element. The K-1 II is capable of enabling a user a basis for high performance.

I love my Pentax K-1 II.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-25-2018 at 10:20 AM.
11-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
DP Review is obsessed with size of gear. "This camera is big. This lens is big. And by the way, did we mention how big it is?" Not the sort of thing a serious site would focus overly much on.
Unless it says "Nikon" on it, whereupon heavy is OK for them - look at how they treated the D810 and D850 versus K-1/K-1II, even though the difference in weight between them is negligible.
11-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Odd retort from a 'senior member'. Professional Level cameras offer certain control features that point and shoot and iphones don't have including synchronized flash, astrophotography, extreme high low light ISO levels...editing, and other adjustments. If you take good photos of houses, bedrooms and toilets with your iPhone, then good for you....I rarely see 'professional' high density, low noise photos on real estate listings....a little less sarcasm would be welcome. Perhaps since you're doing so well with your realestate/iPhone photos, you can become a site supporter after 5 years on the Forum...Just saying.
Not really... for example I almost never use flash. Exposure bracketing took away need to use flash. My subjects are static. I rarely go above iso 800 and that is only for snapshots on vacations. Bulk of what i get paid for is tripod work and ISO100.
While i do enjoy astrophotography i dont have time for it anymore since i got a kid that took all the energy from me so i dont stay awake later than 23:00 hours and sold all my wide angle bright lenses cause i don't need em no more. Maybe in 3-4 years or so ill get back to it.
Anywho - any feature set can be considered as pro if you need it. Some need fast AF, some need weather sealing, some need flash sync and tethered shooting, some need studio lighting and so on... I don't need any of those. I just need ISO100 or lower and a tripod socket. Prefer as light as possible gear tho (pro feature)

Last edited by Trickortreat; 11-25-2018 at 01:40 PM.
11-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Not really... for example I almost never use flash. Exposure bracketing took away need to use flash. My subjects are static. I rarely go above iso 800 and that is only for snapshots on vacations. Bulk of what i get paid for is tripod work and ISO100.
While i do enjoy astrophotography i dont have time for it anymore since i got a kid that took all the energy from me so i dont stay awake later than 23:00 hours and sold all my wide angle bright lenses cause i don't need em no more. Maybe in 3-4 years or so ill get back to it.
Anywho - any feature set can be considered as pro if you need it. Some need fast AF, some need weather sealing, some need flash sync and tethered shooting, some need studio lighting and so on... I don't need any of those. I just need ISO100 or lower and a tripod socket. Prefer as light as possible gear tho (pro feature)
I don't think the point is what you personally need. A review that only focuses on what you need would be somewhat useless to everyone else. The question is what is typically expected in a semi pro/pro camera. A smart phone doesn't have the sort of features that meet that bill and honestly, having seen realtor sites that use smart phone images versus those that use professionally shot images, there is no comparison with regard to quality. Yes, both technically are doing the same job, but not really...
11-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think the point is what you personally need. A review that only focuses on what you need would be somewhat useless to everyone else. The question is what is typically expected in a semi pro/pro camera. A smart phone doesn't typically have the sort of features that meet that bill and honestly, having seen realtor sites that use smart phone images versus those that use professionally shot images, there is no comparison with regard to quality. Yes, both technically are doing the same job, but not really...
So tell me again - why isnt a photo taken with a phone and put to a realestate site a professional one if the shooter gets paid for it and the customer is perfectly satisfied with end results? Quality of the realestete shoots today dont really depend on gear taken but only on the skill of the photographer.
Besides - there is virtually no way you could distinguish a phone photo from a photo taken with a proper camera if you dont need wider than 28mm and you dont go into pixel peepeing. It might take a bit longer to process a phone photo. But you go on assignment lighter and you dont need to spend money on wide lenses if you dont need UWA shoots.
Yeh i know what most people think that semi pro or pro camera should have. Most of review sites focus on AF speed for those but i really dont need top notch AF. Would like if my camera could focus in low light a bit faster from time to time but meh... i can live without it.
I can bet you all the money in the world that if you would shoot with a DSLR and a 28mm lens and scaled that image for web viewing i could reproduce that image with a smartphone and the difference would be negligible.

Last edited by Trickortreat; 11-25-2018 at 02:33 PM.
11-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So tell me again - why isnt a photo taken with a phone and put to a realestate site a professional one if the shooter gets paid for it and the customer is perfectly satisfied with end results? Quality of the realestete shoots today dont really depend on gear taken but only on the skill of the photographer.
Besides - there is virtually no way you could distinguish a phone photo from a photo taken with a proper camera if you dont need wider than 28mm and you dont go into pixel peepeing. It might take a bit longer to process a phone photo. But you go on assignment lighter and you dont need to spend money on wide lenses if you dont need UWA shoots.
Yeh i know what most people think that semi pro or pro camera should have. Most of review sites focus on AF speed for those but i really dont need top notch AF. Would like if my camera could focus in low light a bit faster from time to time but meh... i can live without it.
I can bet you all the money in the world that if you would shoot with a DSLR and a 28mm lens and scaled that image for web viewing i could reproduce that image with a smartphone and the difference would be negligible.
The question is not about a particular photo, it is about the camera used to take it. Professional gear has a certain level of functionality and support expected of it that your smart phone doesn't have. In a purely technical sense, anything used to make is "professional" while that which isn't is "amateur," but that is not a particularly useful way of differentiating gear, in my opinion.

Regardless, it probably is not a very useful discussion to carry one here.
11-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #29
bxf
Pentaxian

So tell me again - why isnt a photo taken with a phone and put to a realestate site a professional one if the shooter gets paid for it and the customer is perfectly satisfied with end results?
Because it could be amateur with a smart phone who got $20 for shooting a few poor images for the local agent, with neither funds nor taste for a better product, to be used in a brochure intended for local mailboxes.
11-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Because it could be amateur with a smart phone who got $20 for shooting a few poor images for the local agent, with neither funds nor taste for a better product, to be used in a brochure intended for local mailboxes.
Why do you think those photos are poor. I can, without much effort, replicate any realestate photo you could make with any camera if you dont go wider than 28mm.
Yes i usually charge 50-100 bucks for the photos but the customers are perfectly satisfied with end results and because of that my smartphone is my pro tool. I get paid for my work. Not everyone is willing to pay $1000 for a set of photos you know...