Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2018, 10:39 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 II, declared best in class

Hello All,
'Australian Camera' magazine, Nov/Dec 2018 edition has their 2019 camera magazine imaging awards, and they have the K-1 II as the best enthusiast digital SLR.
They say, "...has the potential to take on any challenger, given it represents the peak of DSLR technology as we know it."
Quite a good story.

Cheers,
Terry

11-23-2018, 10:45 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2018, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

..... And with BLACK Friday .. K-1 II is 15% Off the RRP A$2599.00 , Cheapest I have seen it yet.
11-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As an enthusiast camera I would wonder what is considered the competition. A d850 is probably considered pro.

11-24-2018, 01:55 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
As an enthusiast camera I would wonder what is considered the competition. A d850 is probably considered pro.
I think the K-1 ii is a pro camera given its feature set.
11-24-2018, 04:54 AM - 7 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I think the K-1 ii is a pro camera given its feature set.
Any camera is a pro camera if you are making money with it. I make money on realestate photos made by a smartphone therefore smartphone is a pro camera.
11-24-2018, 07:47 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Back in the day, many considered a K-5 a pro camera, not on this site, but on many there were lots of excellent professional images shot with K-5s.

The only person who can decide what a pro camera is the person who selects that camera for his professional work. We know there are a number of pros shooting k-1s and K-1iis, so who cares what people call it. It's camera. "pro" and en"enthusiasts" are market spec. They have no basis in actual usage of cameras. The Pros who use K-1 or even K-5 series cameras are not selling their gear because some magazine called their cameras enthusiast cameras.

This reminds me of the first time I made an all-star team playing American football. I was a tackle. (one of those big guys that weighs 300 pounds, I was 5'10" 145 pounds, half a tackle if you will. ) . I was a corner line backer. It was a good year for comers, it was a bad year for tackles, they gave me the tackle spot because I was a better corner than the closest tackle was at his position and I wasn't as good as the two other all star corners. It did have my dad scratching his head though.

I think they just wanted to say something nice about the K-1ii so they put it into a spot where it would excel, It may not be the best pro camera, lot's of competition there, but based on it's pricing it could be argued it's the best enthusiast camera, just by declaring everything above it to be pro.

A nice gesture, framed by a semantical distinction, as opposed to a real world distinction.

Last edited by normhead; 11-25-2018 at 06:26 PM.
11-24-2018, 09:28 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Hello All,
'Australian Camera' magazine, Nov/Dec 2018 edition has their 2019 camera magazine imaging awards, and they have the K-1 II as the best enthusiast digital SLR.
They say, "...has the potential to take on any challenger, given it represents the peak of DSLR technology as we know it."
Quite a good story.

Cheers,
Terry
This is great news - let's just appreciate the good 'PR'.
11-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, they could be doomed anyway... :-)
11-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello All,
Quite a good story.

Cheers,
Terry
Not wanting to put a dampener on things, Terry, but out of curiosity does Australian Camera ever feature advertisements placed by CR Kennedy, the Sigma/Pentax/Leica importer?
11-24-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Any camera is a pro camera if you are making money with it. I make money on realestate photos made by a smartphone therefore smartphone is a pro camera.
Odd retort from a 'senior member'. Professional Level cameras offer certain control features that point and shoot and iphones don't have including synchronized flash, astrophotography, extreme high low light ISO levels...editing, and other adjustments. If you take good photos of houses, bedrooms and toilets with your iPhone, then good for you....I rarely see 'professional' high density, low noise photos on real estate listings....a little less sarcasm would be welcome. Perhaps since you're doing so well with your realestate/iPhone photos, you can become a site supporter after 5 years on the Forum...Just saying.

---------- Post added 11-24-18 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Back in the day, many considered a K-5 a pro camera, not on this site, but on many there were lots of excellent professional images shot with K-5s.

The only person who can decide what a pro camera is the person who selects that camera for his professional work. We know there are a number of pros shooting k-1s and K-1iis, so who cares what people call it. It's camera. "pro" and en"enthusiasts" are market spec. They have no basis in actual usage of cameras. The Pros who use K-1 or even K-5 series cameras are not selling their gear because some magazine called their cameras enthusiast cameras.

This reminds me of the first time I made an all-star team playing American football. I was a tackle. (one of those big guys that weighs 300 pounds, I was 5'10" 145 pounds, half a tackle if you will. ) . I was a corner line backer. It was good year for comers, it was a bad year for tackles, they gave me the tackle spot because I was a better corner than the closest tackle was at his position and I wasn't as good as the two other all start tacorners. It did have my dad scratching his head though.

I think they just wanted to say something nice about the K-1ii so they put it into a spot where it would excel, It may not be the best pro camera, lot's of competition there, but based on it's pricing it could be argued it's the best enthusiast camera, just by declaring everything above it to be pro.

A nice gesture, framed by a semantical distinction, as opposed to a real world distinction.
Spot On Norm...

---------- Post added 11-24-18 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

This reminds me of the first time I made an all-star team playing American football. I was a tackle. (one of those big guys that weighs 300 pounds, I was 5'10" 145 pounds, half a tackle if you will. ) . I was a corner line backer. It was good year for comers, it was a bad year for tackles, they gave me the tackle spot because I was a better corner than the closest tackle was at his position and I wasn't as good as the two other all start tacorners. It did have my dad scratching his head though.

Spot On Norm...

Last edited by Merv-O; 11-24-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typos
11-24-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is a semantical distinction. What's more is it isn't even standardized. I do think it is standardized enough to make the qualification that it is a "professional" grade based on features, not a pro's camera.

I am glad they paid tribute to this great camera. Best of arbitrary class just doesn't add anything except attention grabbing. It's always nice to hear good things though.
11-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not wanting to put a dampener on things, Terry, but out of curiosity does Australian Camera ever feature advertisements placed by CR Kennedy, the Sigma/Pentax/Leica importer?
I don't think there are any in this edition.

[late correction] I just had another quick look and there is an ad for Leica, no sign of any for Sigma or Pentax.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 11-24-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Additional info.
11-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there are any in this edition.

[late correction] I just had another quick look and there is an ad for Leica, no sign of any for Sigma or Pentax.

Cheers,
Terry
Thanks, Terry, that's all I wanted to know.

11-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Best of arbitrary class just doesn't add anything except attention grabbing. It's always nice to hear good things though.
It is natural, that web sites which focus on features sets tend to vote up the K-1 II (or Pentax in general).

Whereas hard-core testing web sites which test cameras through to their bones, esp. on how well various features are implemented, tend to vote down Pentax cameras (such as DPReview does).

It'll always be like that.