Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 154 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
I'm not a stage photographer, but obviously there must be something special to Canon for that domain. My best guess: Canon sensors are said to be tolerant against clipping highlights, which would be something VERY useful for image quality at stage photography obvously. But I'm speculating. Dynamic range is relatively unimportant, because black stays black in the final image. You would never want to brighten up blacks to gray, for example.
Just before I got my Q-7, on a picnic with some friends someone used my Canon Elph {no 'raw' file} to photograph the group standing in the sun; the background was just brighter than black and many of our Caucasian features were lost at the other end of the histogram. Dynamic Range and Color Depth are much more important than you realize.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Does he use professional flash? Another good reason for having to leave Pentax, but probably a tie between Canon and Nikon.
You do realize that flash washes out stage lighting?

11-29-2018, 05:50 AM - 3 Likes   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Class A, well said. We have thread upon thread detailing the bias. To me it is like reinventing the wheel. I won't defend a round earth, evolution, climate change, or a site bias anymore. No matter how you state your case, it falls on deaf ears.
11-29-2018, 07:06 PM - 4 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Class A, well said. We have thread upon thread detailing the bias. To me it is like reinventing the wheel. I won't defend a round earth, evolution, climate change, or a site bias anymore. No matter how you state your case, it falls on deaf ears.
There seem to be people here who aren't happy unless they are finding negative things about Pentax or tearing down positive things said about it.
11-29-2018, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #124
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There seem to be people here who aren't happy unless they are finding negative things about Pentax or tearing down positive things said about it.
It appears some exist for little else.

11-29-2018, 08:52 PM - 4 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

We see the advantages and the disadvantages of all systems. People choose Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pentax for whatever reasons. The way I see it, people should focus more on why they like their systems and not to put down other systems. I Bet you even if there will be only 2 systems left people will still highlight the defects of the other system put it down and bash it.

I know what I like and what I don't like about Pentax. Yet, I see that the advantages outweighs the disadvantages and all of the reasons which led me to choosing Pentax are based on my assumptions and assessments and not anybody else's. When people try to put down Pentax, I would always say, I like what I have and that's what's important. You like your stuff? Go live with it.
11-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's how humans work. I'm a Baltimore Orioles (baseball team) fan. On their most prominent fan site there are posters who spend even successful seasons talking about how the team's management has lucked into a few wins but their long-term prognosis is awful, and the franchise doomed. I used to frequent a messageboard of a particular baseball simulation/game, and there are dedicated fanboys and haters who have online wars about how the program is/was nearly perfect/terrible and the other side ruined/will ruin it all. At work there's always 5-10% of the employees who spend a tremendous number of hours and calories letting everyone know how terribly everything is being run, while neither pitching in to make improvements nor going to find another job. If it's possible to pick sides someone will always pick the other one and defend it to the end, even if they're in the overwhelming minority and on tenuous logical ground.

All that makes legitimate criticism and discussion of positive ways to improve more difficult, because that will often get lumped in with the positions of the die hard malcontents.
11-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's how humans work. I'm a Baltimore Orioles (baseball team) fan. On their most prominent fan site there are posters who spend even successful seasons talking about how the team's management has lucked into a few wins but their long-term prognosis is awful, and the franchise doomed.
Norte Dame {college football} fans are like that - if the team isn't contending for national title, the coach is reviled}, but for many years Chicago Cubs {baseball} fans were happy if the team did better than 50% .... history plays a role here.

11-30-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If it's possible to pick sides someone will always pick the other one and defend it to the end, even if they're in the overwhelming minority and on tenuous logical ground.
Sounds like around my house, and there's just two of us. I look outside at my bird feeders, I clear probably 200 square feet of snow for the birds that prefer to feed on the ground and spread birds seed there. One little bird comes down for a seed. Another one comes down and chases it off the spot. 200 square feet for two little birds with enough food to feed 40 or 50 birds, and they squabble about who gets the "choice" spot. It would be far more efficient if the birds just ate and didn't squabble, but apparently there is some evolutionary advantage to squabbling. We just haven't figured out what it is yet. And it's not just humans.

Last edited by normhead; 11-30-2018 at 07:52 AM.
11-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sounds like around my house, and there's just two of us. I look outside at my bird feeders, I clear probably 200 square feet of snow for the birds that prefer to feed on the ground and spread birds seed there. One little bird comes down for a seed. Another one comes down and chases it off the spot. 200 square feet for two little birds with enough food to feed 40 or 50 birds, and they squabble about who gets the "choice" spot. It would be far more efficient if the birds just ate and didn't squabble, but apparently there is some evolutionary advantage to squabbling. We just haven't figured out what it is yet. And it's not just humans.
I have some chickens. They have, thanks to me, an essentially inexhaustable supply of food and water. They will still peck each other bloody over a handful of corn. We use the term "pecking order" as a throwaway colloquialism, but chickens take it seriously.
11-30-2018, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I have some chickens. They have, thanks to me, an essentially inexhaustable supply of food and water. They will still peck each other bloody over a handful of corn. We use the term "pecking order" as a throwaway colloquialism, but chickens take it seriously.
What's really funny is humans pretending they don't.
Humans for some reason are in complete denial of all their genetically programmed evolutionary habits and biases. We see ourselves as somehow above the fray, when in fact we're often into it just as much as the chickens are. The only difference being we've learned to direct our "pecking order" to apply to the acquisition of money and power, but it's the same basic instinct.
11-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #131
Pentaxian

This is political. Do we eat horses or dogs, how about each other? Evolution and culture are divided.
12-22-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
DPReview traditionally prefers mirrorless as the standard, yet they always seem to discount Pentax for their weight rather than instill points for durability and build quality....Oh well, Pentax's abilities are for the few not the many...
Dilly Dilly!
12-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is great news - let's just appreciate the good 'PR'.
REH: Question What is the Otis appreciation society? it appears that many of the long-time members of the Forum have an "Otis" reference. I found a 5 year old thread from 'Rupert' saying Otis is Dead. I'm curious now....
12-22-2018, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
REH: Question What is the Otis appreciation society? it appears that many of the long-time members of the Forum have an "Otis" reference. I found a 5 year old thread from 'Rupert' saying Otis is Dead. I'm curious now....
I think you can go here for a briefing, Merv …

In Memory of Rupert - Site News | PentaxForums.com

'Otis' was the collective name given to various male squirrels he photographed in his final years, and a story evolved around the character, who became in some ways a beloved alter-ego for the larger-than-life James.

Last edited by clackers; 12-22-2018 at 09:42 PM.
12-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you can go here for a briefing, Merv …

In Memory of Rupert - Site News | PentaxForums.com

'Otis' was the collective name given to various male squirrels he photographed in his final years, and a story evolved around the character, who became in some ways a beloved alter-ego for the larger-than-life James.
Additional comments: Rupert was a natural story teller. The following threads give a sense of what he was like
Otis' Annual Christmas Drive - PentaxForums.com
You Lookin' For Me? - PentaxForums.com
That Your New Bigma? - PentaxForums.com
She Wants To Be A Famous Model...... - PentaxForums.com
Otis Wants You! - PentaxForums.com

Then there is the thread he started that became a general depository of squirrel photos, and became "In Memorial of Rupert" after he died
Got Squirrel Shots? (In memorial of Rupert) - PentaxForums.com