Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2018, 05:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography LIfe lists two Pentax DSLR's in the Top Ten

I didn't see this posted anywhere on PF, but Photography Life published its 'Best Entry-Level DSLR's of 2018' and two Pentax bodies made the top ten:

Best Entry-Level DSLRs of 2018, Ranked - Photography Life

11-30-2018, 05:57 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, nice to see the K-70 as #2 on the list. The author missed some key points, but the two critical ones for me are that ALL Pentax dSLRs have in BODY stabilization so even our old M42 lenses are stabilized and, unlike Nikon and Canon where all their old glass isn't really compatible, with Pentax it all works and all of it is stabilized, and we have the most complete lineup of small APS-C specific primes.
11-30-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting choices for entry level. I'd say most Nikon users wouldn't agree that the 5xxx series is entry level, nor would most Pentax users agree that the KP was entry level.
11-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It is amazing that with the amount of attention Pentax gets in this type of article, that they don't have better market share. They consistently get mentioned in lists like this. You'd think more people would clue in.

11-30-2018, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It is amazing that with the amount of attention Pentax gets in this type of article, that they don't have better market share. They consistently get mentioned in lists like this. You'd think more people would clue in.
Unfortunately articles like those are singing to the choir. The readers have, mostly, already made choices. Lack of presence in the retail outlets and other sources of contact for potential buyers is far more debilitating for Pentax.
11-30-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Unfortunately articles like those are singing to the choir. The readers have, mostly, already made choices. Lack of presence in the retail outlets and other sources of contact for potential buyers is far more debilitating for Pentax.
No doubt true, but still, it should count for something. There have to be some independent thinkers out there.
11-30-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@normhead, I’m amazed daily at how few people there are left that are “independent” thinkers, or are willing to do a little real research before biting on an advertisement.

It’s a good article and I can’t really disagree much with the assessment of each camera. Though I still find the interaction with Pentax cameras to be more second nature than any other brand. If the KP were to be at the $700 price point, I could see it as the #1 all day.

11-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Agree. This was always a valid point - Pentax lacks exposure to potential new customers now as it did 40 years ago. There was always less advertising and a smaller dealer base.
11-30-2018, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

No doubt true, but still, it should count for something. There have to be some independent thinkers out there.
you can choose to be part of the mob rushing down the road

or choose to follow this

" . . . take the one less traveled by

And that has made all the difference. " - Robert Frost

1. The Road Not Taken. Frost, Robert. 1920. Mountain Interval

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.
11-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are, and we have them here.
11-30-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting choices for entry level. I'd say most Nikon users wouldn't agree that the 5xxx series is entry level, nor would most Pentax users agree that the KP was entry level.
I agree that most Nikon users wouldn't agree that the 5xxx is entry level, but I am a Nikon & Pentax user and considering it the 5000 series has a pentamirror, no DOF preview, and is not weather-sealed, it is not really a mid-level like their D7xxx series.

And I also agree that the KP is not an entry level camera, and in some respects, neither is the K-70 other than the fact that it is currently the least expensive Pentax DSLR.

With that said, I do believe both cameras are excellent choices for anyone getting into DSLRs and why not skipping the two-phase upgrading one would do with a Canikon?
11-30-2018, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consider myself an independent thinker, I don't follow trends, I rarely give "expert's" opinions anymore weight than anyone else's opinion . When I decided in 2013 that I wanted to move up to a DSLR from my Panasonic Super Zoom, I looked at as much information about the various DSLRs on the market in my price range as I could. Non appealed to me except the Pentax K-30 and K-50, I finally settled on the K-50 because it was the newer of the two Pentax DSLRs. What appealed to me first was IBIS which none of the other cameras offered, then came weather sealing which none of the others offered in my price range. Things like dual control wheels which Canon and Nikon models readily available at big box stores didn't have. All of my research pointed me to Pentax and their DSLRs even though none were available to handle any where near me, so after 5 years and two Pentax models I'm here waiting on the next High spec APS-C iteration. I'm very happy with my decision
11-30-2018, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Agree. This was always a valid point - Pentax lacks exposure to potential new customers now as it did 40 years ago. There was always less advertising and a smaller dealer base.
Forty years ago is probably an over-statement. When I purchased my first Pentax 39 years ago, I knew Pentax as a leading brand and purchased it at a regular camera store. When I followed up with my Super Program 35 years ago, I was able to purchase it at a local "catalog" store called Tepe's {others here will remember Service Merchandise which was similar in concept}, which had roughly the same clientèle as K-Mart. I believe Pentax's loss of visibility occurred as they were slow first with AF and then with digital.
11-30-2018, 02:15 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you can choose to be part of the mob rushing down the road

or choose to follow this

" . . . take the one less traveled by

And that has made all the difference. " - Robert Frost

1. The Road Not Taken. Frost, Robert. 1920. Mountain Interval
Careful this poem is designed to trip you up. The road not taken is the one he doesn't takes or the one others didn't? All the difference in a good or bad way? Both roads haven't had the leaves trampled and seem equal. The decision isn't seen as different until after the travel.

That is the problem with novice camera buyers, there is no way to know what matters to you until you learn with the camera you need to buy. Once you have a camera what you learn is based on what it has and not what it lacks.
11-30-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I will agree that the KP is an entry level camera. It's quite powerful than an entry level camera.