Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I like having the battery grip on my K1/K1-II. They pretty much live on them. I rarely use them on my K5-IIs or K3. No idea why. All about the "feel" I guess. Just waiting for teleconverters. Hopefully available before I head out to Yellowstone in May.
Battery grips are not optional for me on the K5IIs or the K3. I did test out a K5 I received recently without a grip and felt so SMALL. I can shoot all day with the grip, love the 2nd set of controls, and have benefited many times from the SD card in the battery tray.

12-17-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Battery grips are not optional for me on the K5IIs or the K3. I did test out a K5 I received recently without a grip and felt so SMALL.
Yes! DSLRs don't have to cede SMALL to other designs!!

added: Battery grips allow them to make both of us happy.

Back when I was a Canon user, I got a battery grip for my second Rebel. When the Rebel died twenty months after I got it, I had already abandoned the grip.
12-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Don’t you know silver makes things focus faster and more accurately, gives more dynamic range and is lighter.
Also its non-fattening and reduces cholesterol.
And make skin more supple with a healthy glow.

Steve
12-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And make skin more supple with a healthy glow.

Steve
and some of us easily tire of solid black and yearn for the time when metal parts of a camera showed and were allowed to be 'metal colored';
I think my old Super Program and my new 'silver' KP make nice 'related' ends on my signature photo.

Note: I had hoped to get a silver/black Q-7 and a white/black K-50, but the practicalities of purchasing used put a yellow/black Q-7 and a blue/black K-30 in the middle.

12-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and some of us easily tire of solid black and yearn for the time when metal parts of a camera showed and were allowed to be 'metal colored';
...even when they aren't metal.

Steve
12-17-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Steve
In the old days they were metal, with black leather (*) wrapped around part of it; my KP has the same look-and-feel. As I have recounted several times here, when the KP arrived, my wife thought I was showing her the Super Program for some reason - I had to show her both cameras at the same time before she actually understood that they were different.

(*) My first Pentax, an ME/SE, had brown leather. It stopped being reliable after being exposed to spray at Niagara Fall, so I dumped it when we moved; now I wish I had paid for moving those few pounds.
12-17-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #67

Steve
My Minolta X-700 isn't metal. It's polycarbonate clad with a coppery brass coating and then coated with black over that. The black coating wears on the edges exposing the brassy cladding. Hence the term "brassing" that is often used to describe the wear on many 80s vintage cameras. The main body is glass filled resin. Concerns at the time that resin bodies wouldn't be stable. Seems fine and solid 30+ years later.

12-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Digital film....

Digital back for the K1000
It MUST almost be here....sin't it....?

; (

They said they were bringing it out in 1998...then 1999...then...

I wonder how many investors lost their shirts on that fiasco?

Cheers,
Cameron
12-18-2018, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Veteran Member

I think if you look at the size of the K-1 and system lenses vs the APS-C system it makes sense Pentax is putting its efforts into putting out a new APS-C flagship. There are still a lot of people who prefer the APS-C system for size and cost.

I own a K-1 and K-5IIs and have a decent selection of lenses for both systems but my APS-C system is significantly lighter and more compact without necessarily being significantly inferior. I definitely see myself sticking to both systems making the most of the fact that the lenses and bodies and batteries can be mixed and matched. Had a K-3II successor been available, I'd probably have bought that over the K-1. I still intend to upgrade when the APS-C flagship is released.

).

12-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering whether the staffers getting out the MZ-D from 2000 is a hint that a forthcoming new Pentax camera might have a built-in grip or at least a very different kind of design? An FF item with a built-in grip would be very large but an APS-C one not so big. There would be plenty of room for huge battery life and extensive, well-cooled electronics. Just saying ...
12-18-2018, 04:43 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Just wondering whether the staffers getting out the MZ-D from 2000 is a hint that a forthcoming new Pentax camera might have a built-in grip or at least a very different kind of design? An FF item with a built-in grip would be very large but an APS-C one not so big. There would be plenty of room for huge battery life and extensive, well-cooled electronics. Just saying ...
Well, that's a good point. I discussed speed of operation of PDAF sensors with designers, and it appear that the current Pentax bodies are too compact to fit a larger PDAF module that would be need for faster AF operation (keeping equal sensitivity). So, I wouldn't be surprised if a new Pentax model featured a vastly superior AF performance, the camera body would be deeper, at least as deep as a D500/D850.
12-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
a larger PDAF module that would be need for faster AF operation
That is a misconception. The physical size of the AF sensor unit does in no way relate to AF speed. The latter is a question of processing speed.

The physical size of the AF sensor does limit the number and coverage and type of F2.8 sensors though, as these simply have to be far apart. So for a F2.8 cross type sensor with the added vertical line F2.8 spacing sensor you would have to make the AF module higher (y-axis) or use diagonal crosses (think Canon 7D). That will automatically require the lower camera body to be bigger/higher by probably 1-1.5cm as well.

For reference see the three F2.8 horizontal line sensors here: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/images/k1-landing-page/K1-AF-Sensor.jpg
Quite obviously turning them into vertical does not fit onto the current layout.

Remember F2.8 do not in any way improve speed. They do improve precision as they capture farther apart "images".

Pentax themselves have in the past stated that they prioritized small body over larger AF module. It will be interesting to see if that is going to change.
12-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #73
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Lots of pictures of food in restaurants, too One day, smartphone pictures will only be available for a short time, then their bits will disintegrate into random noise and become lost for ever. The ultimate disposible camera, even the photographs aren't permanent.
it's not sad, it's just the easiest way for pentax users to get the shot using modern technology.
12-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
If Ricoh release something like it (or EXACTLY like it) I believe it'll sell like hotcakes!!!!
I'm certain it would not.
The K-1 body works amazingly well. It makes no sense to go back to the early franken-camera designs (film camera adapted for digital).
12-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Lots of pictures of food in restaurants, too One day, smartphone pictures will only be available for a short time, then their bits will disintegrate into random noise and become lost for ever. The ultimate disposible camera, even the photographs aren't permanent.
I don't understand your point. Depending on your definition of "short time". you could equally make that claim about people and virtually anything they make .... but this is not a philosophy forum.