Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
DFA is new era. run for 10-20 yrs is quite good already with out lens motor ect. failing. that said, 10 yrs with camera body is pretty long time...
10 years does seem like a long time for a digital body. In the age of film, I used my Super Program for over 12 years, and the Canon Elan that followed it for over 11 years, but a film camera allowed me to upgrade the sensor by changing the yellow box I took it from. Incidentally, the 'plastic' Canon EF lens kitted with the Elan was still serving as my "walk around" lens when I retired the Elan .... unfortunately I lost it a few years later in an embarrassing mishap that started with my tripping over a root ..... I hope the squirrels at the bottom of the nearby ravine found a good use for it.

12-21-2018, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This summer and fall, I visited 15 National park and Major state park. I saw many FF and APSC but I never never saw one with a battery pack or onr built with a battery pack . Most customer dont want it and Pentax will be dump to come with one
I've probably visited about a dozen or so national parks in the last five years. If you had seen me during any of those visits, you would not see any of my cameras attached to a battery grip. But that doesn't mean I don't own grips or don't use them. I just don't use them for landscape photography at national parks. Indeed, I would not buy an APS-C DSLR that didn't have a grip for an option, and the reason is: I find that a grip makes it easier and more comfortable to shoot with large, heavy lenses. Then when I'm shooting with smaller lenses, I can take the grip off and have a more compact system.

Now I won't be buying a grip for the K-1 because I find the camera plenty large to balance with large lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’d still say that K,M and A series are forever.
The old manual focus lenses may not be "forever, but they're certainly last for a good long time --- perhaps several lifespans. And while the DFA lenses are better, the differences are actually rather subtle and hardly significant. While for APS-C I'm sticking with modern lenses, on the K-1 I do a fair amount of work with vintage lenses, largely due to cost and weight/size considerations. Other than the macros and the 28-105, all the DFA lenses are quite large and heavy and quite expensive, and I'm not a fan of large and heavy glass for landscape shooting (heavy glass is a necessary evil for quality critter photography, and so I'll put up with it in that venue).
12-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This summer and fall, I visited 15 National park and Major state park. I saw many FF and APSC but I never never saw one with a battery pack or onr built with a battery pack . Most customer dont want it and Pentax will be dump to come with one. Time is now to forget the past and look into the future. Bigger is not the trend I believe for sure.
It is nice to have the possibility of the grip, even if you don't use it.

The reasons for a grip (in no particular order) are, better for people with big hands, better balancing with big lenses, additional battery (and storage slot), ability to use AA batteries with adapter, and additional controls which make shooting in portrait mode more comfortable. I would doubt that most people in national parks would be using one. A lot of what they are shooting would be in landscape mode and truthfully, few of those folks are shooting at a professional level either.

Where I see grips used are for folks who do extended portrait sessions or shooting weddings. Sometimes I see them with folks who shoot sports or wildlife too, but I haven't seen many of those people in person.
12-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
10 years does seem like a long time for a digital body. In the age of film, I used my Super Program for over 12 years, and the Canon Elan that followed it for over 11 years, but a film camera allowed me to upgrade the sensor by changing the yellow box I took it from. Incidentally, the 'plastic' Canon EF lens kitted with the Elan was still serving as my "walk around" lens when I retired the Elan .... unfortunately I lost it a few years later in an embarrassing mishap that started with my tripping over a root ..... I hope the squirrels at the bottom of the nearby ravine found a good use for it.
I still shoot with my *ist dS, just for fun. nothing serious. still working(needs new internal battery for keeping the date...but other than no problem. only problem with my K-7 is that it camewith faulty wheels. K-3 is still going strong too, no faulty anything. and I have put them through places. wasgoing to sell them, but given that how much € I could get from them, I have not gone through the trouble.

---------- Post added 12-21-18 at 17:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote

The old manual focus lenses may not be "forever, but they're certainly last for a good long time --- perhaps several lifespans. And while the DFA lenses are better, the differences are actually rather subtle and hardly significant. While for APS-C I'm sticking with modern lenses, on the K-1 I do a fair amount of work with vintage lenses, largely due to cost and weight/size considerations. Other than the macros and the 28-105, all the DFA lenses are quite large and heavy and quite expensive, and I'm not a fan of large and heavy glass for landscape shooting (heavy glass is a necessary evil for quality critter photography, and so I'll put up with it in that venue).
-every lens last till end of it’s lifetime-

I think that these modern big DFA ’s are worth the carrying around. most of the time. If you know that you will need them. I have just now begun to leave DFA*70-200 at home, If I knew that I won’t propably need it. oneof reasons is the weight. one of the reasons is the prize. I have insurance, but still would not like to see something going wrong and falling on your gear and ... with cheaper gear/older one does not have to worry so much..

12-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a battery grip for my second Canon Rebel. The Rebel died after 1-1/2 years - long after I jettisoned the battery grip ..... it handled larger that it looked, and it looked roughly that size. I speak from experience when I say that the Super Program is the right size for me.
Hmmmmm. K-01 would work.

.:
12-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmmmmm. K-01 would work.
After 6 months of using my Q-7, I wasn't willing to have another primary camera lacking a viewfinder.
12-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #112

Hmmmmm. K-01 would work.

.:
How about the K-S1? Gotta love the disco lights.

12-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Hmmmmm. K-01 would work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I have a WR KP - I am happy.
12-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Hmmmmm. K-01 would work.

.:
Bring out the K-02!
12-21-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Bring out the K-02!
Pentax learned the wrong lesson from the K-01.
They should have learned "MILC needs EVF".
They seem to have learned "MILC not for us."
12-21-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Pentaxian

Pentax learned the wrong lesson from the K-01.
They should have learned "MILC needs EVF".
They seem to have learned "MILC not for us."
No I think the lesson should have been "don't let Marc Newson work on your camera designs"!
12-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can disable those.
12-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No I think the lesson should have been "don't let Marc Newson work on your camera designs"!
His design doesnt seem to have negatively impacted Apple.

9 designs that show how insanely great Marc Newson will be at Apple | Cult of Mac
12-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
You can disable those.
If you love 'em, why disable 'em? But I get your point
12-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
His design doesnt seem to have negatively impacted Apple.

9 designs that show how insanely great Marc Newson will be at Apple | Cult of Mac
That article was written in 2014 and speaks in future tense. I don't know what he's done for Apple?