Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2018, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax learned the wrong lesson from the K-01.
They should have learned "MILC needs EVF".
They seem to have learned "MILC not for us."
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No I think the lesson should have been "don't let Marc Newson work on your camera designs"!
People complained, and still complain, about design of the camera - but in all honesty, I don't believe design was its downfall.

K-01 didn't have EVF and failed to succeed
"Q" didn't have EVF and never "caught on" in the west
EOS-M didn't have EVF and never "caught on" in the west - Canon persisted and later "M"s did better - with EVF
NEX didn't have EVF and never "caught on" in the west - A6000 was first true success in that line and it did have an EVF

I believe there is a definite pattern here. Even with Newson design, a later K-0n could have succeeded, a later "Q" could have succeeded, but Pentax was unable/unwilling to persist the way Canon and Sony did.

12-31-2018, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #122
Pentaxian

Our TV just showed fireworks in North Korea celebrating the New Year - must be 2019 in Japan now also ..... so any day now, these rumors will become news.
01-08-2019, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There has been some interesting talk on Twitter this weekend about upcoming Ricoh/Pentax products.

I should explain the context first. The Osaka camera store Yaotomi hosted an evening with Mr. Wakashiro (name edited after correction on another site), of the Ricoh Imaging Product Planning Dept. and some of their loyal customers. The Tweets are exchanged between Yaotomi and the people who attended. There are clearly a lot of things they heard that they are not at liberty to mention, but still there is some interesting information.

Overall, it sounds like there is lots to look forward to next year.

Here is the Twitter page for Yaotomi Camera (in Japanese, of course): ??????? (@yaotomicamera) on Twitter

Thank you for a very interesting twitter thread! Even the built in twitter translater is good enough to get a lot out of it.

But I must say it is bizzare to see the almost 20 years old MZ-S-based digital FF prototype handled like that over a dinner table among beer, sake and rise bowls! Shouln't it belong in a safe or a company museum glass monter?!?
And since they now anyway brought it out of whatever closset it rests in, and they even mounted an FA limited on it....why didn't they took and posted some test shots? Would have been interesting to see how bad that Philips sensor was!?

Photos of the K-1 labeled digital MZ-S-clone from that twitter thread:

Attached Images

01-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
T
But I must say it is bizzare to see the almost 20 years old MZ-S-based digital FF prototype handled like that over a dinner table among beer, sake and rise bowls! Shouln't it belong in a safe or a company museum glass monter?!?
I heard back then that a few of them were made. They were in use by Pentax engineers.

01-08-2019, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But I must say it is bizzare to see the almost 20 years old MZ-S-based digital FF prototype handled like that over a dinner table among beer, sake and rise bowls!
I am surprised that nobody here has suggested that the camera is really the K-1 Mk III prototype, which obviously is out on the town for testing. It only looks similar to the original, but deep down it carries a new monster high-ISO processing engine and a wicked clever AF module.
01-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I am surprised that nobody here has suggested that the camera is really the K-1 Mk III prototype, which obviously is out on the town for testing. It only looks similar to the original, but deep down it carries a new monster high-ISO processing engine and a wicked clever AF module.
Yes, that's an old car industry move, c.a.m ... testing new mechanicals in public with a disguised body around it.

01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, that's an old car industry move, c.a.m ... testing new mechanicals in public with a disguised body around it.
Oh. I think one of them got left on the Canadian factory lot by mistake. I've been wondering why our RAV4 feels more like a Landcruiser 70.

01-08-2019, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #128
Pentaxian

(...) old MZ-S-based digital FF prototype (...)
It's the other way around AFAIK: the MZ-S was launched in 2001 and its body was based on that of the stillborn MZ-D / MR52 / K-1 showcased at Photokina 2000.

The termination of the MZ-D project and the write-off of the money spent in it (much more than initially planned) caused the MZ-1 project to be abandoned. Pentax 'recycled' parts of the MZ-D to quickly design the MZ-S and launch it in lieu of the MZ-1.

Picture of the MZ-1 prototype:

01-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to know more about that MZ-1. The camera was rumored for a long time and looks like anticipated. Did it have interchangeable viewfinders?
01-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Don't you think the control (probably metering mode) built into the prism housing suggests the prism was probably not interchangeable?
01-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's the other way around AFAIK: the MZ-S was launched in 2001 and its body was based on that of the stillborn MZ-D / MR52 / K-1 showcased at Photokina 2000.

The termination of the MZ-D project and the write-off of the money spent in it (much more than initially planned) caused the MZ-1 project to be abandoned. Pentax 'recycled' parts of the MZ-D to quickly design the MZ-S and launch it in lieu of the MZ-1.

That’s very interesting history! I had never understood the sequence that way.

I’ll take my MZ-S off the sale list now, for historical reasons.
01-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

I would love if they would make a digital MZ-1... Love the looks!
01-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I am surprised that nobody here has suggested that the camera is really the K-1 Mk III prototype
To me it looks like the prototype of the Pentax 1DxII being tested by photographers to check if the buffer can keep up with the sake. Ricoh had no money, so they decided to pull out the old K1 design files from the archive and stick a new sensor into it, as it seems that the K1 image processor able to handle 4.4 FPS at 36Mp files should be able to handle 16 FPS at 16Mp files. At 16 FPS, the 31 Ltd diaphragm is barely able to follow. And I don't want to fire-up another new rumor.
01-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
And I don't want to fire-up another new rumor.
You just did that! May I quote you? Do you have a source?

Maybe several Ricoh engineers are running a bootleg project in the back corner of the lab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootlegging_(business)
01-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #135
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if anyone else has commented on those two fellows with blurred out faces. I wonder who they might be and why their faces are blurred.