Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Pentax users focus on the K7/K5/K3 line. The road has been K7, K5, K5 II, K3, K3 II followed by the K1 and they made full circle with the K1 II. This will be the end of the road. You can not get a number beyond K1.
I had high hopes for the sequence K-01, K-03 but unfortunately they abandoned this road. (K-01 is a brilliant camera! To be honest, I do not care about the video because I am a stills fan.)
You should have used a smiley face to show you're kidding.

My first Pentax SLR was a "ME/SE", part of a 'M' series.
My second Pentax SLR was a "Super Program", part of no series.
My third Pentax (D)SLR was a "K-30", part of the K-n0" series.
My fourth Pentax (D)SLR is a "KP", part of no series.

Every indication is that the K-3ii replacement will be starting a new series.

12-18-2018, 12:59 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The concern was Pentax was releasing a lot of cameras it appeared few were asking for, and then not releasing the ones that were being asked for.

The K-S line for example, where the K-70 and K-S2 had a lot in common.
The K-P was a strange hybrid between the K-30/50/70 range and the K-5/3 line, with some aspects from each, which really blurred the model range.
Hasn't felt particularly coherent or clear overall to be honest.

It will be interesting to see where Pentax takes a K-3 replacement now. What's new in the world now compared with 5 years ago?
Higher ISO capabilities with lower noise would be appreciated, but I get the feeling todays camera developments are more about supporting aspects rather than pure sensor tech alone.
eg touchscreen, real tracking AF capabilities, video, wifi, built in gps etc?
12-18-2018, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The concern was Pentax was releasing a lot of cameras it appeared few were asking for, and then not releasing the ones that were being asked for.

The K-S line for example, where the K-70 and K-S2 had a lot in common.
The K-P was a strange hybrid between the K-30/50/70 range and the K-5/3 line, with some aspects from each, which really blurred the model range.
Hasn't felt particularly coherent or clear overall to be honest.
I thought Pentax's path was totally coherent for awhile, until the K-1ii showed up {which I'm guessing was already in the pipeline}.

The K-70 was their first use of the 'accelerator' - I thought trying it out on a lower level camera made lots of sense - so the K-70 is a massive step up from the K-S2. Having used my KP in high ISO situations, I am surprised over and over how much members here miss the significance of the 'accelerator'.
First photo with KP - PentaxForums.com
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com

The KP came out after the K-1. I'm quite sure that their initial thought was the K-1 was all the 'flagship' they needed. Pentax has not had a 'events' orientation recently; I'm guessing they thought the 16mp crop-mode would be adequate. Also, I'm guessing they were surprised by the reaction to the buffer size (*). lack of topside LCD, lack of second SD slot (**), etc. on the KP by those who do want something for 'events'.

(*) I do photograph wildlife, but I've never used a long burst that would run into trouble on a KP; not until 1995, when I'd been photographing for over 25 years, did I get a motor drive, so I tend to think in terms of "get it now" rather than "take a bunch of shots and look for the 'right' one", so I guess I'm a better match for the KP.

(**) Nikon seems to have made the same reasoning with respect to card slots on their Z-series.
12-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
until the K-1ii showed up
Maybe the quick push out of the K-1ii was done so to allow for a revamped K-1iii AND a K-3iii (AND the GRiii) would all be released at the same(ish) time...

A theme of iii's? 645iii?

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Pentax users focus on the K7/K5/K3 line. The road has been K7, K5, K5 II, K3, K3 II followed by the K1 and they made full circle with the K1 II.
No K-7ii though? What about the K-5iiS - how does that fit in?
Would there be no room for a K-3iiS?

12-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please provide a link to Canon's roadmap.
Please provide a link to Nikon's roadmap.
Both these companies have a new mount,if you google you will find both roadmaps.Both companies have a range of native adapters for quite a few lenses.

As for $$$ony, plenty of native glass and third party support and expanding every year...5 years in FF mirrorless,they have progre$$ed!

PS my $$$ony phone is great,when it doesnt overheat!
12-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Both these companies have a new mount,if you google you will find both roadmaps.Both companies have a range of native adapters for quite a few lenses.
I'll find a precise list of cameras and lenses they'll list next year?
12-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They thought K-3 owners would either move down to the KP or up to the K-1. Like we had all been waiting for full frame so much that pro-level crop bodies would no longer be of interest to people that have some of the best crop-only lenses available to them...

I think they're a few prime lenses away from having an excellent stable of full frame lenses; a prime in the mid-20's, a prime in the mid-teens, and I guess the upcoming D-FA 85 1.4 (something a little longer would have been nice, perhaps, like a 95 to 100 f1.x, but I digress).

12-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I'll find a precise list of cameras and lenses they'll list next year?
I dont think CaNik have a precise list of camera bodies,but the lenses they are developing for both systems( R and Z)have been listed...check the websites you should get an idea.I recall Nikon are intending to release 3x f2.8 zooms,cant remember what Canon have revealed for 2019.
12-18-2018, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Well stated. I for one am tired of the Pentax secrecy and corporate cat-n-mouse game.

I am about to jump ship because of lack of some basic lenses and features that are given on most other systems. I love my K1 and my FA Limiteds. I can live with the current megapixel count, lack of decent video, no mirrorless, etc., etc. Just give me a decent wide prime lens and an autofocus that works. Is that too much to ask and do I have to wait another five years to get these basic stuff.
Now that I've re-read this I noticed that you include lenses. They do have a 'road map' for lenses. There is no 'cat and mouse' involved there - what you want simply isn't on their list. They did issue the DFA* 50mm f/1.4; are you wanting something wider than that?
12-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I dont think CaNik have a precise list of camera bodies,but the lenses they are developing for both systems( R and Z)have been listed...check the websites you should get an idea.I recall Nikon are intending to release 3x f2.8 zooms,cant remember what Canon have revealed for 2019.
And Pentax has their lens road-map.
12-18-2018, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

And Pentax has their lens road-map.
Yes, i'm still waiting for that Q 09,should be great!
12-18-2018, 04:39 PM - 11 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m really tired of all the ‘Pentax doesn’t make what people (read I) want’ posts. That’s the whole point of Pentax. The other guys already do all that stuff. If you want what all the other guys have go get an Other Guys camera.

AFA lenses - give it a rest. They’ll release the * wides in 2019, then they’ll upgrade the DA* zooms, then release f/4 zooms, then more FF Limiteds (but not re-release the Princesses - those they’ll keep making as they are until people stop buying them).

I want a camera and lenses with a little different emphasis and combination of features than what the other guys have.
12-18-2018, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Yes, i'm still waiting for that Q 09,should be great!
It's on a current roadmap???

They, like Canon and Nikon and Sony, are allowed to make changes.
Otherwise nobody would tell us anything.
12-18-2018, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m really tired of all the ‘Pentax doesn’t make what people (read I) want’ posts. That’s the whole point of Pentax. The other guys already do all that stuff. If you want what all the other guys have go get an Other Guys camera.

AFA lenses - give it a rest. They’ll release the * wides in 2019, then they’ll upgrade the DA* zooms, then release f/4 zooms, then more FF Limiteds (but not re-release the Princesses - those they’ll keep making as they are until people stop buying them).

I want a camera and lenses with a little different emphasis and combination of features than what the other guys have.
Amen, brother, Amen!!!
12-18-2018, 07:18 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m really tired of all the ‘Pentax doesn’t make what people (read I) want’ posts. That’s the whole point of Pentax.
That literally makes no sense if you currently own Pentax, but want something more from them.
That's like saying Pentax will never make what you want.

I have a Pentax, I have several and have had several more previously.
I'm happy with a range of aspects of them, and wish they could perform better in others. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.
Closed Thread