Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Rumors

Hints about future Pentax products

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-20-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Link edited per Adam's request.
12-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fresh rumors do work to catch attention, but repeated rumors over time without any real product hitting the shelves, tend to produce rumor fatigue, people end-up losing interest. People have to accept that they don't need a new camera model each year, they don't need new lenses each year. And better spend the money on less products that provide meaningful advantages rather than have frequent new models with no meaningful improvements.
12-18-2018, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The internet goes full circle again!
This is a report of a thread started HERE by JPT.
12-18-2018, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
People have to accept that they don't need a new camera model each year, they don't need new lenses each year. And better spend the money on less products that provide meaningful advantages rather than have frequent new models with no meaningful improvements.
but then where would that leave the Jeff Bezos' and Sam Walton's of the world....

12-18-2018, 02:23 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

This was reported back to soon. Wait until it gets to dpreview then post it back. I like my pentaxforums news filtered twice before I read it.
12-18-2018, 02:33 AM - 4 Likes   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The internet goes full circle again!
This is a report of a thread started HERE by JPT.
This is annoying. There are significant embellishments, such as one person from Product Planning becoming the “heads of sales cameras and lenses”. And somewhere along the line, I’ve become an “American guy”, with no offense meant to genuine American guys.
12-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is annoying. There are significant embellishments, such as one person from Product Planning becoming the “heads of sales cameras and lenses”. And somewhere along the line, I’ve become an “American guy”, with no offense meant to genuine American guys.
At the bottom it says:

QuoteQuote:
Source: k_rspkyoto @Twitter (thanks Mistral75)

12-18-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

K-3 replacement is long overdue, so like that something might be happening in that department.

Dinner and drinks with these guys would be awesome. Pentax has been a company that exists, but is very hard to communicate to directly (no local formal Pentax events like this for example). Cool to see them out with some users.
12-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
At the bottom it says:
I am indeed the one who brought the thread here to Peter's attention. (He is the admin of various rumour blogs including Photo Rumors, Leica Rumors, Nikon Rumors and Pentax Rumors.)
12-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very cool to see that original Pentax FF design . As I understand it the issues were with the sensor, the body itself looks to be a very capable and desirable model. It looks reminiscent of the Canon Eos 1 type models that were around then also. It seems to me that in terms of design and usability, at the time of these early digital DSLRs, the display screen was a major limitation, in terms of available technology and the limit to size that gave. Only until our now familar larger and modern LCD type screens became the norm were we able to gain satisfying levels of interface, controllability and image review capabilities.

I like the design with the dedicated switches for ‘drive mode’ and metering mode.
12-18-2018, 08:01 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
but repeated rumors over time without any real product hitting the shelves, tend to produce rumor fatigue,
Well stated. I for one am tired of the Pentax secrecy and corporate cat-n-mouse game.

I am about to jump ship because of lack of some basic lenses and features that are given on most other systems. I love my K1 and my FA Limiteds. I can live with the current megapixel count, lack of decent video, no mirrorless, etc., etc. Just give me a decent wide prime lens and an autofocus that works. Is that too much to ask and do I have to wait another five years to get these basic stuff.

I understand that Pentax wants to be different but to ignore your user base and what they want and need is going to get you people who get what they need in other systems.... and the secrecy and the cat-n-mouse game of Pentax with their marketing and communications is going to put the brand out of business! Something that I hate to see but then there is evolution and survival of the fittest in full swing for you!!
12-18-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Well stated. I for one am tired of the Pentax secrecy and corporate cat-n-mouse game.
Please provide a link to Canon's roadmap.
Please provide a link to Nikon's roadmap.
Please provide a link to Sony's roadmap.
12-18-2018, 09:18 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Please provide a link to Canon's roadmap.
Please provide a link to Nikon's roadmap.
Please provide a link to Sony's roadmap.
I know Adam is going to eject me from this forum if I shared a joke that illustrates the roadmap comment you made. It is a little risque but it hits the nail on the head. Oh well may be for another day.

That is exactly my point. Who needs a road map especially the Pentax one. Stop playing games and bring out the products people need.

As far as Sony road map, they don't need one. They have gone from no player to one who has forced Nikon and Canon into the mirrorless game and forced Panasonic to go into the FF game. They own and make the brain (sensor) of their camera and the one for Nikon and Pentax. They have released more lenses than I can shake a stick at. I can barely keep up with reading about the introductions and products that are being delivered. I do not need a road map for Sony.

As far as Canon and Nikon, who cares. They have more lenses and bodies than any other manufacturer. Their toad map is to survive the Sony juggernaut.

So back to Pentax. I do not need a road map that stretches into the next century! I need to see a few useful albeit necessary features and products now (more like yesterday) not in year 2030!
12-18-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
So back to Pentax. I do not need a road map that stretches into the next century! I need to see a few useful albeit necessary features and products now (more like yesterday) not in year 2030!
Actually, many members here are focused on the K-7/5/3 line; they ignore everything else.

The K-70 was released in 2016 - but no K-3ii replacement.
The KP was released in 2017 - but no K-3ii replacement.
The K-1ii was released in 2018 - but no K-3ii replacement.

Pentax has been moving - in a clear direction, providing solid high-ISO performance - but not doing what many users wanted. Reading between the lines, they have been very cautious because they aren't certain where the market is going, but they have plans to make several releases planned for the coming year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Asahi.
12-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #15
Unregistered User

The Roadmap is Clear

Pentax users focus on the K7/K5/K3 line. The road has been K7, K5, K5 II, K3, K3 II followed by the K1 and they made full circle with the K1 II. This will be the end of the road. You can not get a number beyond K1.
I had high hopes for the sequence K-01, K-03 but unfortunately they abandoned this road. (K-01 is a brilliant camera! To be honest, I do not care about the video because I am a stills fan.)
Closed Thread