Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
That literally makes no sense if you currently own Pentax, but want something more from them.
That's like saying Pentax will never make what you want.

I have a Pentax, I have several and have had several more previously.
I'm happy with a range of aspects of them, and wish they could perform better in others. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.
That depends which 'you' is being talked about.
Beginning of this year, each of us had Pentax gear, but I'm guessing we had different 'wants'.
Apparently our 'wants' are mutually exclusive.

The KP turned out to be exactly what I wanted.
The DA 18-135 is exactly what I wanted.
The DA 55-300 PLM is exactly what I wanted.
So this past year, they have been selling exactly what I want.
Maybe next year they will produce exactly what you want.

12-18-2018, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #32
mee
Veteran Member

That literally makes no sense if you currently own Pentax, but want something more from them.

I'm happy with a range of aspects of them, and wish they could perform better in others. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.
It doesn't make sense does it?

I'd say that the 'other guys' went a certain direction because that is what people want out of a camera. If Pentax is going in a different direction, that would indicate they are going in a direction of products that aren't well desired... I mean expecting updated lenses and improved features from Pentax isn't an 'us vs them' battle... because they are desirable in ALL camera systems.
12-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It doesn't make sense does it?
expecting updated lenses and improved features from Pentax isn't an 'us vs them' battle... because they are desirable in ALL camera systems.
Are you saying that Pentax isn't updating bodies and lenses???
12-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nope.

12-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Nope.
"Nope" is an ambiguous answer to that question as I stated it, so I will restate it.

Do you believe Pentax is updating bodies and lenses???
12-18-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder if Ricoh will release some extension tube accessories along with their rear converters....... :P
12-18-2018, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #37
mee
Veteran Member

"Nope" is an ambiguous answer to that question as I stated it, so I will restate it.

Do you believe Pentax is updating bodies and lenses???
Nope means no. But I couldn't type just 'no.' as the forum requires extra letters for a post.

Now you are changing your question. I responded to your first question "Are you saying that Pentax isn't updating bodies and lenses???"

And the answer was and still is 'no.' Because I wasn't saying that.

To answer your second question, you may want to qualify what you mean by 'updating' -- because the KP wasn't an update. The K-1 II was an update. The DFA 50 was a gap fill. There have been few true updates.

I don't think updating lenses... truly updating.. as in adding motors or improving lens coatings to existing optical designs is really a 'those guys' only quality. It should be a Pentax quality too.

For instance, Having an arsenal of screwdriven relics on the DA side as the modern performers representing crop side is an embarrassment in 2018. I almost decided to keep my K-5 II and get a DA35 f/2.8 macro until I watched a youtube review and heard the black and decker screwdriver sound out of it. eewugh.

Black & Decker - Cordless Screw Driver - Unboxing and Review - A7073 - YouTube

and

Phase detection AF with HD DA 35mm Limited macro - YouTube

similar sound despite the volume on the Pentax video being much lower...

And considering Pentax has released thus far one DFA in the past 2 years, I have little confidence in Ricoh to update the DA line anytime soon. Yet it isn't wrong to desire something such as this out of Ricoh. The rest of the market went to silent motors because most photographers seem to value quieter AF motors that are more accurate in focusing. Saying We want Pentax to go another route is like saying we want loud, slower, less accurate focusing. Of course we want the improvements. So it isn't an 'other guys' thing as monochrome was seemingly mentioning.

12-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

expecting updated lenses and improved features from Pentax isn't an 'us vs them' battle... because they are desirable in ALL camera systems.
So, all you want from Pentax is "updated" lenses and bodies? You don't want new stuff?
I believe you are 'straining at gnats' here - I group all 'updates'/'improvements'/'gap fillers'/'new stuff'/etc together.

Pentax is no longer a large operation, so there is only so much they can do each year.
12-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

So, all you want from Pentax is "updated" lenses and bodies? You don't want new stuff?
Your question was specifically about 'updates.' Therefore, I responded specifically to your question.

I believe you are 'straining at gnats' here - I group all 'updates'/'improvements'/'gap fillers'/'new stuff'/etc together.

Pentax is no longer a large operation, so there is only so much they can do each year.
Hence why I said, "And considering Pentax has released thus far one DFA in the past 2 years, I have little confidence in Ricoh to update the DA line anytime soon."
12-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Your question was specifically about 'updates.' Therefore, I responded specifically to your question.
But my use of of the word 'update' was in response to

As I have already said, Pentax is a small company, so we cannot/should not expect a new product every year - nor do we need a new product every year.

This past month, I purchased both a KP and a DA 55-300mm PLM lens - both of which were released in the last couple of years. I will observe my 70th birthday in a few days - so I may never purchase another camera - but if I do, I would expect the purchase to occur at least five years from now, giving them lots of time to develop another body for me. Assuming that body is another APC camera, I would have no reason to purchase another lens {two of the three lenses in my KP bag are carry-overs from the K-30 system I purchased 3-1/2 years ago}.

However, since I joined this forum four years ago, Pentax has released six bodies: K-S2, K-3ii, K-1, K-70, KP, K-1ii - so they certainly haven't been idle. The K-70, KP, and K-1ii use the newly-developed 'accelerator', which is a major major advance. As the graphs below show, the KP comes very close to Canon's FF 1Dxii in high ISO performance up to about 25600. That is real progress!!
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 12-18-2018 at 09:47 PM.
12-18-2018, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Lens roadmaps are for challengers.

They are meant to make people confident in the prospects of a mount and make them spend money in the corresponding system even though it's less developed than others.

Sony had a roadmap during a few years after they launched their E mount, then one for their 24x36 lenses. They don't any more.

Fujifilm still have one.

Canon and Nikon have one for their mirrorless mounts (RF and Z respectively).
12-18-2018, 09:43 PM - 3 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t understand people who want Pentax to be Canon or Nikon or Sony. Why do people want ‘more’ (read ‘something different’) from Pentax. Pentax is what it is, for good reason.

Why should Pentax just copy the other brands feature for feature? We already have cameras with those features. Go get one.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-18-2018 at 10:41 PM.
12-18-2018, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

I suspect that the majority of Pentaxians are older guys who used Pentax film bodies for decades. Many are now elderly (like me). It seems like many of the ads selling Pentax K-1 cameras are from these older shooters who say they are selling these low mileage cameras because they can no longer physically carry/handle a heavy full-frame camera and full frame lenses.

How many Pentaxians have switched to another system for this reason? I don't know any who switched because of bad: IQ, features, or ergonomics; but I do know many who switched because of size/weight.

Maybe one of the more important attributes of new Pentax cameras and lenses should be their size/weight?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-18-2018 at 11:31 PM.
12-19-2018, 12:22 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The X-T2 appears to be larger than the K-3. Neither size nor weight is an issue for the K-3. APSc SLR’s of comparable construction and specs are of similar size and mass. I can manage an additional 16 ounces - I’m not doing a 65 mile, 10-day alpine trek over the Continental Divide. My K-1 balances my large, heavy lenses very well, forming a stable platform for them, I use a KP and DA pancakes if weight will be an issue.

It’s just choices. Magnesium frames are a Pentax brand identifier. There are other brands with polycarbonate frames if a user prioritizes mass over durability, and he should buy them instead of Pentax.

Pentax is what it is. There are other cameras for people who have different priorities.
12-19-2018, 01:44 AM - 8 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t understand people who want Pentax to be Canon or Nikon or Sony. Why do people want ‘more’ (read ‘something different’) from Pentax. Pentax is what it is, for good reason.

Why should Pentax just copy the other brands feature for feature? We already have cameras with those features. Go get one.
Why is it wrong for me to want my pentax gear to track AF better than it currently does.

With that attitude Pentax should never bring out a new camera because you are 100% happy with what you have now?

As for wanting Pentax to be another brand, I never said that so don’t appreciate the implication. I want a new Pentax camera to improve in areas I see as current weaknesses, because I’m happy with the IQ and ergonomics Pentax offer at the moment.

Capable subject tracking AF, ideally across much more of the frame, and improvements in video/returning the mechanical stabilisation they took away etc, are pretty high on my wants for a newer Pentax model.

Yes our wants are different, but I’m a Pentax User too and have ideas for improvement.
Closed Thread