Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
Say it with me PentaxiansSony users:
M-I-R-R-O-R-L-E-S-S... I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N...
My KP has more innovation than any MILC I'm aware of.

12-26-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just wondering, did you say the same about the K-5, 5II and 5IIs and the K-3 and K-3II? If not why not?
Im not going to say what the other people said.. but as other commented the changes between K5-K5ii // K3-K3ii where tangible/useful/concrete.. As I see it, the change between K1 and K1ii was not enough, for some ( for example Kenspo ) the "incremental change" made the camera even worst. A baked raw withouth the option to "unbaked" is not good.. I didn't own the K1ii just the K1, but as far as reviews and post said the AF performance change was mmm barely noticible.. BUT.. that is just my opinion, of course for some the change could be enogh for their needs.
12-26-2018, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP has more innovation than any MILC I'm aware of.
Thats what Ozzie Ostrich thinks too.
12-26-2018, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's just say a couple of things (a) the original K-1 was available for most of 2018 so if people didn't like the processing of the K-1 II they could get a K-1 for a little lower price. Having two options is a good thing. (b) the K-1 upgrade kit was optional and surprisingly, despite all of the negative press and the fact that the upgrade wasn't cheap, many people availed themselves of this upgrade -- enough that it was back ordered for awhile. The idea of being able to disable the accelerator processor makes no sense to me since that was the main point of the upgrade and it was more expensive. If you didn't like the accelerator then you are better off just buying an original K-1.

At low iso, the photos are exactly the same from the K-1 and the K-1 II. It is only above iso 640 that you can see any smoothing. People posted all sorts of photos here -- huge crops, etc and honestly, I felt like I was looking at Rorschach Ink Blots. Maybe this one looked like it had a tiny bit less detail, but maybe this other one looked like it had more. Whatever it was, the difference wasn't dramatic.

12-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Rondec, I agree with all you said except that I fail to see any smoothing. Where should I be looking? On test charts?
12-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The trouble with using the word “innovation” is that it has several meanings. From its root, of course, it infers “newness”, but in industry its meaning has been split from that of “invention”, which implies creation of an idea or an object.

So, innovation tends to be used in the sense of application, eg a new application of an existing technology. Either way, I’m a little hard-pressed to see much in current camera offerings that would count as innovation or invention. Weather-sealing, IBIS, BSI sensors and many others have been around for a while. Canon’s dual-pixel sensor might count as the most recent (correct me if I’m wrong) but the rest seems to me to be incremental development of past innovation (and very distant invention).

I forgot to include in its definition, the marketing use of the terms, of course...
12-26-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

When I'm looking for a new piece of camera equipment, I read reviews, tests...by professional testers (Ie; people who get paid to write or broadcast their views) and by people...Joe Average... who actually have/use the stuff and I read their stuff...if it's camera related in places like the Pentax forum...or tires in the Tire Rack website.

I actually put more faith in Joe Average who actually buys/ uses the stuff, than someone who is paid to write about a whole bunch of different stuff, get it done in a limited time frame ...ie; the editor says...I need 1500 words assessing this new XYZX lens by tomorrow at 2 pm. So the experience a writer/ broadcaster may have with any specific product...is very limited, compared to the experience of an actual buyer/user.

I find that I put more stock into 'opinion' from those who actually bought and use the equipment. They don't have anything to gain by writing down what their actual experience has been with the actual product.

Anyway that's my .02 cents and I'm not even sure it's worth that much.

12-26-2018, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #158
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They aren't laughing as hard as I am at their gross stupidity. The fact that they are so predictable, so constant and so locked into an unintelligent mindset makes them funny, in a "look at those donkeys trying to reach the carrot bin on the other side of the fence" kind of way.

Donkey Pee Reporters.

yeah but they're right though... they are and so is everyone outside the confines of this echo chamber. literally every other camera manufacturer has now officially made a more (public) effort to update to a mirrorless system.

that type of "donkey ____ whatever journalist i'm smarter than all the other camera manufacturers combined" style commentary is why this forum is giving pentax a bad name... surprise surprise! more repugnant non-sequitur erroneous commentary that blindly supports pentax.

all my replies to pentax forums from this moment on will be unironic (yet metaphorically relevant) chevy chase sequences:

---------- Post added 12-26-18 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The trouble with using the word “innovation” is that it has several meanings. From its root, of course, it infers “newness”, but in industry its meaning has been split from that of “invention”, which implies creation of an idea or an object.

So, innovation tends to be used in the sense of application, eg a new application of an existing technology. Either way, I’m a little hard-pressed to see much in current camera offerings that would count as innovation or invention. Weather-sealing, IBIS, BSI sensors and many others have been around for a while. Canon’s dual-pixel sensor might count as the most recent (correct me if I’m wrong) but the rest seems to me to be incremental development of past innovation (and very distant invention).

I forgot to include in its definition, the marketing use of the terms, of course...
do you know what semantics means, rusty?

12-26-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

yeah but they're right though... they are and so is everyone outside the confines of this echo chamber. literally every other camera manufacturer has now officially made a more (public) effort to update to a mirrorless system.

that type of "donkey ____ whatever journalist i'm smarter than all the other camera manufacturers combined" style commentary is why this forum is giving pentax a bad name... surprise surprise! more repugnant non-sequitur erroneous commentary that blindly supports pentax.
Personally attacking a person who disagrees with you might satisfy your inner beast, but it doesn't refute anything said - your words are the repugnant non-sequitur.

So if everyone else jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, you'd feel an obligation to jump also?
12-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rondec, I agree with all you said except that I fail to see any smoothing. Where should I be looking? On test charts?
I don’t really see it. That’s my point. This is a made up issue that shows up on graphs but not in real world situations.
12-26-2018, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #161

boriscletoed™
12-26-2018, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
boriscletoed™
Seconded. Mirrorless is like a religion.
12-26-2018, 07:45 PM - 4 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

If 98% of camera users use other systems. If only 2% of the world decides Pentax is for them, we'd still like to have safe place to come and discuss our Pentax gear without harassment or judgement. We can share technique, lens knowledge, stories and and disappointments. We don't need any help from self appointed geniuses, who think they have some special knowledge that's lets them tell everyone else what to think. And there will still be 2% for whom Pentax is the best fit, regardless of how insane people with different needs might think that is.
12-26-2018, 08:06 PM - 5 Likes   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

all my replies to pentax forums from this moment on will be unironic (yet metaphorically relevant) chevy chase sequences:
Caddyshack - Be The Ball - HD - YouTube

---------- Post added 12-26-18 at 06:41 PM ----------

do you know what semantics means, rusty?

national lampoons vacation - rustys beer (jdeproductions.com - YouTube
Yo PUNKRANMANOV: As a junior member, you probably don't realize that Pentax had several mirrorless systems for years (Q/M series) Additionally, mirrorless is no innovation--Leica has been doing it for decades....In fact, the best mirrorless camera right now that has full aperture priority access to the best lens glass in the world is the Leica CL (24mp powerhouse that rivals the M class, with fast auto focus and amazing focus peaking on M and R series Leica lenses).

Sony and NIkons mirrorless offerings have their own limitations and they are not that compact. It's a gimmick as the resolution of the Pentax KP with compact limited glass is outstanding. I have several camera systems and none of those mirrorless "pretenders" from NikCanOny equal the weather/bullet proof design of the KP....try it, you might like it...but don't attempt to sell your juvenile tripe to experienced photographers (some professionals too) who understand the value of a well made camera body. Later, kid
12-26-2018, 08:41 PM - 7 Likes   #165
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

... surprise surprise! more repugnant non-sequitur erroneous commentary that blindly supports pentax.
I'm not sure pushing mirrorless propaganda, with its laggy, JPG viewfinders that you have to pay for an A9 to get similar performance to an OVF, or its hybrid on sensor PDAFs that have to take away every eighth pixel to support focus (and fiddle with the RAW to compensate, generating artifacts along the way) helps, Punkrachmaninov.

After coming back from being banned, your hostility to the members of this community has simply continued. You're a screenwriter? What do we make of a character who learns nothing in their arc, from the opening sequence to the epilogue of being banned permanently?

This is a screenshot of you on another website, am I correct? Of course, instead of being man enough to admit to it, you could just wriggle, evade, and give us a Chevy Chase clip from 'Spies Like Us.'
Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 12-26-2018 at 08:49 PM.