Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 09:08 PM - 3 Likes   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is a screenshot of you on another website, am I correct? Of course, instead of being man enough to admit to it, you could just wriggle, evade, and give us a Chevy Chase clip from 'Spies Like Us.'
The only lenses Pentax has made since the 1990s are the Limited series??

I guess all the other 'DA' and 'DFA' lenses are mirages.

Nope, my DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM are still there!!

12-26-2018, 10:36 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
do you know what semantics means, rusty?
Turns out I do, and it doesn't mean what the Mad Hatter suggested, either.

Those who regulate intellectual property also know what it means.
12-26-2018, 10:41 PM - 6 Likes   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
Say it with me Pentaxians:
M-I-R-R-O-R-L-E-S-S... I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-O-N...
Yes, you got the mantra.

Electronic viewfinders are so great because "What You See Is What You Get".

Except when
  • you edit your images to taste (e.g., just fixing white balance may alter the appearance significantly).
  • you shoot RAW and your RAW converter's default result doesn't look anything like the camera's JPEGs.
  • you use flash/strobes.
  • your camera focuses using a wider aperture than your shooting aperture (because otherwise the viewfinder would become too dark/grainy).
  • you didn't see what you wanted to photograph because your EVF's refresh rate came to a crawl during AF or burst mode.
  • you couldn't take the shot anymore because your EVF used up so much battery when you were composing that you ran through your spare already.
Can we extend the list?

I think a hybrid viewfinder could be helpful. It is not a necessary tool by any stretch of the imagination in my view, but it could be handy (e.g. for assisting manual focus or getting feedback about the histogram without taking one's eye off the viewfinder). However, I'd hate the thought of being forced to use a pure electronic viewfinder. Even a camera like the Fuji GFX 50S ($6500) provides an appalling experience.
12-26-2018, 11:01 PM - 4 Likes   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure pushing mirrorless propaganda, with its laggy, JPG viewfinders that you have to pay for an A9 to get similar performance to an OVF, or its hybrid on sensor PDAFs that have to take away every eighth pixel to support focus (and fiddle with the RAW to compensate, generating artifacts along the way) helps, Punkrachmaninov.

After coming back from being banned, your hostility to the members of this community has simply continued. You're a screenwriter? What do we make of a character who learns nothing in their arc, from the opening sequence to the epilogue of being banned permanently?

This is a screenshot of you on another website, am I correct? Of course, instead of being man enough to admit to it, you could just wriggle, evade, and give us a Chevy Chase clip from 'Spies Like Us.'
Clackers: My response just above yours (on page 11 of this thread) is along similar lines....this "junior" member sounds like a "juvenile" member. His lack of knowledge and history of photographic imaging makes me laugh. I don't believe Pentax is a dying breed, I think the opposite. It has deeply loyal, engrained followers (like Leica) that stay loyal to the brand. They have a consistent, albeit small (5% world wide), yet in an ever shrinking market demand for DSLR's, Pentax remains relevant...being the biggest doesn't make you the best or the most solvent (see GM--great example of largess).

12-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
e. The idea of being able to disable the accelerator processor makes no sense to me since that was the main point of the upgrade and it was more expensive. If you didn't like the accelerator then you are better off just buying an original K-1.
You'd have a point if the K-1 were continued to be offered as a sister model to the K-1 II.

However, the K-1 II replaced the K-1 so the option of having untampered RAW files when shooting at ISO >= 640 is disappearing.

Even if the K-1 were still being offered, as a K-1 II owner I'd prefer if I could choose whether or not to denoise my RAW files. Maybe I want it sometimes (saving me some post-processing) and sometimes not (e.g., when stacking a lot of images to reduce noise in a superior manner).

This is a made up issue that shows up on graphs but not in real world situations.
There were a number of images shared on this forum or featured in the pentaxforums.com comparison which showed visible differences. For instance, dust on a PCB was clearly identifiable in the K-1 shots but became a blur in the K-1 II shots. I don't know whether respective post-processing can always get the end results arbitrarily close to each other, but I doubt it.

Whatever it was, the difference wasn't dramatic.
That is certainly true and arguably many prefer the smoother look over the higher residual detail in the K-1 images, so the feature definitely was counted as a "win" by many.

However, we cannot ignore the role DPReview plays on camera sales. Maybe they are not important in Japan, but they certainly are in the US and Europe. If all it takes to implement a simple switch, why not avoid handing DPReview the ammunition on a silver plate?

In Ricoh's defence given how enthusiastically DPReview responded to the KP's RAW smoothing, Ricoh would have had every right to expect DPReview to gush over noiseless post-processed images again. DPReview proved to be unpredictable in this case and to be rather malicious because even after waking up to the fact that the RAW data has been tampered with, there were no grounds to make such a meal out of it. Yet, I still think that Ricoh would have done themselves a big favour (in addition to giving their customers more freedom) by making the RAW denoising optional.
12-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #171
Pentaxian

I remember Linus from LinusTechTips had mentioned that even when he gave a negative review about a product the sales of that item went up sharply. At least in the tech space, being mentioned even in a negative light is much better than not existing.
12-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Even a camera like the Fuji GFX 50S ($6500) provides an appalling experience.
Seems like the people who have bought that model in droves dont think like you,and the ones who have bought the 50R(its sold out many places)dont seem to mind that appalling EVF either.

12-27-2018, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #173
Pentaxian

Having said all the above, I'm not sure how correct your statement about 100% of mirrorless cameras with OSPDAF cooking their RAW files is.
All I wanted to point at is:

Every 12th green pixel line in Nikon Z does not create image information, so basically the pure raw file there has to show pure "black". Sadly Nikon precooks and manipulates the raw files in camera, creating fake data, where there definitely is none. 1/12th of green image data on Nikon Z is not actual captured details, but camera-software-created data.

Whoever accepts such a thing without the same massive criticism has no right to comment on any raw denoising.
Both are either "bad" or "ok".

This was in reply to the notion of "pure" raw data.
12-27-2018, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

If you exclude the 17 da primes, the 22 da zooms, the 4 dfa primes and 5 zooms and the xs and kit lenses the Pentax hasn't made any lenses. come to think about it, if you exclude all lenses designed after 2000 no company has had a lens since 2000.
12-27-2018, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov:
pentax forums is a toxic Community of renegade elderly dinosaurs that has ruined the pentax brand with subjective attachment to garbagetechnology-the only lenses they have made since the 1990s are the limited series. pentax needs to sue the forum for slander, yet simultaneously launch a mirrorless camera to mark the 100th anniversary. pentax must do this soon or they are toast.
That is aggressive hater style.

And quite weird on the background of someone who uses mainly lenses from the 1980s and older and whose most modern digital camera is nearly 9 years old.

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov:
Pentax Cameras
K-5, Pentax Film SLRs, Pentax Point-and-Shoots
Photographic Equipment
pentax m42, pentax-m, pentax-a primes
pentax super-a (1983 european camera of the year edition)
pentax pc35af-m
Feels like someone still knowing nothing newer than traveling on horseback preaching the qualities of Tesla cars.

After coming back from being banned, your hostility to the members of this community has simply continued. You're a screenwriter? What do we make of a character who learns nothing in their arc, from the opening sequence to the epilogue of being banned permanently?
Some people believe that "hate" is a valid substitute to "argument" and "convince".
12-27-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

What is worrying is that he got two likes.

Anyway, I believe we can end this unpleasant subject
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-27-2018 at 04:23 AM.
12-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #177
Veteran Member

I think some folks may have been quaffing this over the holidays ...

12-27-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #178
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, how about we just get out there and shoot. Landscapes, families, friends, nature. Let's see what the K-1 can do in the world of photography.
12-27-2018, 04:49 AM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd have a point if the K-1 were continued to be offered as a sister model to the K-1 II.

However, the K-1 II replaced the K-1 so the option of having untampered RAW files when shooting at ISO >= 640 is disappearing.

Even if the K-1 were still being offered, as a K-1 II owner I'd prefer if I could choose whether or not to denoise my RAW files. Maybe I want it sometimes (saving me some post-processing) and sometimes not (e.g., when stacking a lot of images to reduce noise in a superior manner).

There were a number of images shared on this forum or featured in the pentaxforums.com comparison which showed visible differences. For instance, dust on a PCB was clearly identifiable in the K-1 shots but became a blur in the K-1 II shots. I don't know whether respective post-processing can always get the end results arbitrarily close to each other, but I doubt it.

That is certainly true and arguably many prefer the smoother look over the higher residual detail in the K-1 images, so the feature definitely was counted as a "win" by many.

However, we cannot ignore the role DPReview plays on camera sales. Maybe they are not important in Japan, but they certainly are in the US and Europe. If all it takes to implement a simple switch, why not avoid handing DPReview the ammunition on a silver plate?

In Ricoh's defence given how enthusiastically DPReview responded to the KP's RAW smoothing, Ricoh would have had every right to expect DPReview to gush over noiseless post-processed images again. DPReview proved to be unpredictable in this case and to be rather malicious because even after waking up to the fact that the RAW data has been tampered with, there were no grounds to make such a meal out of it. Yet, I still think that Ricoh would have done themselves a big favour (in addition to giving their customers more freedom) by making the RAW denoising optional.
if rumors are correct the K1 cameras will be replaced next year. Certainly the K1-2 was jusr meant as a mid cycle sales booster.
12-27-2018, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #180
Veteran Member

IDK, I found the review plausible straight across the board. I do not think they were attacking Pentax, they were just offering an opinion on what Pentax has offered us. I hate to say it, but Pentax has fallen well behind in the game. It's not a secret. I still love my Pentax's but I'm a realist. Some of these new releases from Fujifilm and Sony are quite innovative and game changers.