Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was only last December that metalenses became a real possibility. There's a chance that in 5 years time all current lenses will go the way of VHS tapes.

12-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There is no camera on Earth that would be fit for everyone. There cannot be such a thing.
You are totally right.. and that is why in order to help with that, the camera manufactures should have several models aim to several photographers, knowing that everyone will look for different features, some might want resolution, some speed, some AF, some portability, and the list goes on.. IMO Pentax is in the need of a faster camera with much faster AF and better video features (yeah yeah we dont use video BUT, it's an excelent marketing tool), with that features plus the ones that already Pentax have the system could reach so much more people and fit way more shooting styles... we'll see what is next, hopefully something good.
12-27-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #198

When I chose to invest in lenses and Pentax camera, I took as reference photos in 500 px, FlickR, Google plus, etc...
Before I used Nikon but I liked more the image of the Pentax K-5 and K-3. Unfortunately, many people are manipulated by youtubers, it is a business like any other.
Companies invest in them and they sell to the highest bidder. They tell you today which is the best camera and several weeks later they can change their mind. I’m not saying that this is the case.
Ricoh does not invest in the promotion of their brand, in YouTube channel the last publication is from two years ago and there is no information about of K-1. Unfortunately for those who are loyal to Pentax.
In pentax link: PENTAX : Welcome to the PENTAX Photo Gallery camera and lenses does not appear the Pentax K-1 nor the Pentax Mark II that is reference point to see the photographs of this camera, the ambassadors do not appear, only three: William Hereford, Chris Knight and Kerrick James.
I am a regular visitor to Barnes and Noble where I read photography magazines accompanied by a cup of starbucks coffee and Pentax ads do not exist there is not any reference to this brand, not an article or at least in one photograph.
Maybe you are right when you said that the company is not going in the right direction, or maybe we were expecting more from the K-1 & Mark II, but to say that it is the worst camera of 2018 does not make sense.
In another of your videos on YouTube placed the K-70 as the worst among a group of cameras with similar characteristics.
I particularly do not believe in youtubers which promote products. For me a scientific database like DXOMARK is more credible.
12-27-2018, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
camera manufactures should have several models aim to several photographers
Ideally they would the customer would select what specs he wants, each customer would have a different camera, it's possible to do that if you can pay USD 20 000 for a full frame camera.
The other solution is to pack cameras with a variety of features that customer use or not use, and automate the manufacturing of the multipurpose model so that the price is affordable. I guess that's how the Pentax K1 can be priced rather low. If you don't like the Pentax K1, you still have the choice , for example Sony A9, Sony A9 with a 100-400mm costs only $6300, why haven't you got one. Here is the problem: customers want everything, including things they never use, and for cheap: that doesn't exist.

12-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
while all other photographers are shooting models on the fly with DSLRs.
So ALL those fashion shoots only have Dslr shooters?
12-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you don't like the Pentax K1, you still have the choice , for example Sony A9, Sony A9 with a 100-400mm costs only $6300, why haven't you got one. Here is the problem: customers want everything, including things they never use, and for cheap: that doesn't exist.
As today, within the Pentax ecosystem there is no other choise than K1, and that is the issue that Pentax FF shooters have.. of course there are some other options with other manufactures as you said: Sony/Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Oly etc.. but the thing is.. why push people away from the Pentax ecosystem if they could eventually keep this clients happy buying there gear?? just give people the choise to stay using their Pentax lenses and geat without having to look somewhere else, if the brand keep thinking as "this is what we do and if you don't like it look somewhere else" it wont last for too long, that is not such a good move, specially not today when most camera brands have at least 2 or 3 models with different features.
12-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As today, within the Pentax ecosystem there is no other choise than K1, and that is the issue that Pentax FF shooters have.. of course there are some other options with other manufactures as you said: Sony/Canon/Nikon/Fuji/Oly etc.. but the thing is.. why push people away from the Pentax ecosystem if they could eventually keep this clients happy buying there gear?? just give people the choise to stay using their Pentax lenses and geat without having to look somewhere else, if the brand keep thinking as "this is what we do and if you don't like it look somewhere else" it wont last for too long, that is not such a good move, specially not today when most camera brands have at least 2 or 3 models with different features.
I’m fairly certain that a choice of Pentax 35FF bodies will eventually appear, but as we know, Ricoh does things their own way, as frustrating as that can be sometimes. That modus operandi does come with a risk that some people will walk away, but I can’t imagine that Ricoh doesn’t know that.

12-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Every 12th green pixel line in Nikon Z does not create image information, so basically the pure raw file there has to show pure "black".
On what basis are you stating this?

OSPDAF sensels are not just used for AF purposes. Their data can also be used to form the main image. There are issues (e.g., colour shifts) with the individual signals of the "half-sensels" but when you combine them you can pretty much reconstruct what a regular sensel would have "seen".

To the best of my knowledge, OSPDAF sensels are by no means ideal and since regular PDAF is working just fine for me I don't like DPReview's attitude of regularly trashing DSLRs on the basis of PDAF while downplaying the compromises implied by OSPDAF or even remaining silent about them, but I'd be very surprised if your statement that "12th green pixel line" of the Nikon Z sensors do not yield any usable signal.
12-27-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on words from @asahi man, most current Pentax development is directed towards FF - so, 2019 {5 days from now} will be "Year of FF" as far as we're concerned. I'm expecting at least two FF bodies and at least two FF lenses, but that may be just me. I am hoping these will "straddle" the K-1 .... one with 24mp {and fewer features} and one with more than 36mp {and more features}, but again that is just my hopes; I see no reason for them to retire the K-1ii for those who want exactly 36mp, but again that is my opinion. In any case, CP+ is little over a month away, so we should hear at least some news soon.
12-27-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #205
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most popular pocketable camera has been for some time now the mobile phone. Good for selfies and wide angles. But just cannot compare in IQ or DR to those pesky non-pocketable cameras. I don’t see the DSLR or the Pentax brand doomed any time soon, unless someone else comes up with a pocketable FF with 20-200 f/2 combo, and no-one else does it...
12-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #206
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So ALL those fashion shoots only have Dslr shooters?
Pretty much, yes.

Surprised?

12-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #207
Pentaxian

ALL is definitive...

pretty much.
12-27-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It was only last December that metalenses became a real possibility. There's a chance that in 5 years time all current lenses will go the way of VHS tapes.
I have a 20 year old lens that's theoretically obsolete now, yet it's price performance factor is off the charts. I'm not seeing how that's going to change.
12-27-2018, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this angst.

I don't think Pentax cameras will review well on DP Review for the foreseeable future. DP Review likes high end video (not a strong point of Pentax), super fast frame rates, and pretty small cameras. To be honest, I really don't expect Pentax to make a bunch effort on the video front. If they get a sensor that can do 4K video, I wouldn't be surprised if they do 4K video, but it isn't going to be a big focus of theirs. Once again with really high frame3 rates, I just don't know that they care to have the K-1 sequel go over 7 or 8 fps. It isn't needed by most folks and would add a lot to the cost of the camera.

On the other hand, if they can keep excellent image quality and good ergonomics, release more stellar full frame lenses like the DFA *50, and improve tracking auto focus, there is no reason that people who buy cameras to shoot still photos wouldn't continue to buy them.
12-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have a 20 year old lens that's theoretically obsolete now, yet it's price performance factor is off the charts. I'm not seeing how that's going to change.
I know people who still have VHS too. I actually saw a guy with an old glass slide camera this summer. Not too many people will want big lenses when the metalenses are small, light and supposed to be super sharp with no distortion or ca., even electronic zoom lenses are wafer thin, as the cells are change to focus. I think even the term focal length will be obsolete but it's beyond me how exactly that works.