Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
They mainly disliked the baked-in noise reduction for RAW files, which is the exact reason I didn't pay for the upgrade.
But it's made in many cameras. K-1II is very good tweaked in noise reduction.

12-23-2018, 04:39 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
They mainly disliked the baked-in noise reduction for RAW files, which is the exact reason I didn't pay for the upgrade.
Yeah, it created some conflict - on the one hand, you had to accept the baked-in noise reduction for which they have not provided an off switch in spite of people asking - easy firmware update to make, in my opinion.

On the other hand, you'd get improved colour and autofocus, and I believe we still don't know - correct me if I'm wrong - if the autofocus improvements were in the K-1 firmware upgrade because nobody re-tested the K-1's autofocus against the K-1 II after the last (or relevant?) firmware update came through.

My preference at the moment goes to the K-1 classic, but providing a real NR off switch would change that.

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 04:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well that just shows you what the DiPs at DP review know..........absolutely nothing!
I once briefly aired my exasperation with their phenomenal factual errors, and then decided it was not time well spent.
12-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #33
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Yeah, it created some conflict - on the one hand, you had to accept the baked-in noise reduction for which they have not provided an off switch in spite of people asking - easy firmware update to make, in my opinion.
I don't care about NR in RAW at ISO higher than 3200 if they made it very accurate.
12-23-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I will venture to say that every camera on the market has noise processing.

12-23-2018, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

I trust Chris and Jordan, I think they are right. Some software tweaking and noise reduction burned in to the RAW is not what the Pentax K-1 II should be. At least the KP fetaures like manual shutter speed limit for auto ISO should be included in a new flagship camera. The K-1 is a really good landscape camera (DPreview says it also!), but the K-1II improved in areas where it falls far behind the competition like the AF tracking and got worst where the K-1 was the king: IQ. So now the K-1II isn't the best in anything and not desireable where it's improved features needed.

In general I feel DPreview biased, but not Chris and Jordan. I miss the DFA* 50 F1.4 much more from the list of best products then I disagree with K-1II as the second worst camera of the year.
12-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Im glad Im not alone in this department.
Oh, you're far from alone. They turned years ago and I've visited once a year or so since but continue to find their opinions worthless.
12-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While the K-1 II is a great camera (like its predecessor), I feel that the small tweaks which were put into it were far from what you'd expect in a model that's almost 2 years newer. The dynamic pixel shift technology is quite promising, but in its current state (i.e. lacking software support), it's more of an experimental feature, in my opinion. Perhaps this is what DPR is getting at. That said, some more positive publicity is still merited given the camera's excellent value...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I miss the DFA* 50 F1.4 much more from the list of best products then I disagree with K-1II as the second worst camera of the year.
Pentax doesn’t pay for swanky intro parties (and trips even) to introduce new products, write the text for reviewers to use (making them all sound the same) or provide dozens of pre-release production lenses to reviewers. Naturally they don’t have the obligation to praise (so they are invited to San Francisco again), publish Pentax reviews without actually doing any original writing, or actually use the Product enough to remember it when they make the ‘Year’s Best’ lists.

In general they end up thinking PentaxMustBeDoomed because Pentax doesn’t behave like the “robust” companies.
12-23-2018, 09:08 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps this is what DPR is getting at.
This ^ ^ ^

It is not unusual for reviewers to pan "new" products that are a subtle rework of an existing model, particularly if the signature new features either don't work well (hand-held PS) or compromise existing performance (ISO threshold for accelerator NR set one or two stops too low with no provision to tune or opt-out).

That being said, 2nd Worst Camera is a low blow, particularly given the huge number of runner's up, the poor performance of third-worst, and the abysmal nature of the "worst" camera. It probably would have been sufficient to simply ignore the K-1ii as not rising above its previous incarnation or that of its competition.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
12-23-2018, 09:47 AM - 6 Likes   #40
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why then are they doing everything to kill it?
I think Ricoh Imaging are currently doing a fine job of that as is.

When people are asking for a K-3 successor for multiple years and you only offer them a KP on crop side; When you launch a digital FF system with a healthy roadmap but only offer 1 additional lens from it in 2 years, you're not really helping yourself as a company.

DPR don't seem to dislike the brand, they dislike the current management. And the fanbase here can come off as really... overly enthusiastic... to critical thoughts.

2019 holds a lot of hope for the brand imo.

Last edited by mee; 12-23-2018 at 09:54 AM.
12-23-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #41

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I agree.

I'm also seeing I'm seeing other photography channels with much older hosts doing YouTube videos when drunk too.

Luminous Landscape has their "On The Rocks" series.

The C47 has their "Camera & Flask" series.

I guess these YouTubers must think it's cool to be drunk when making videos. Maybe they think the younger viewers will enjoy it?
It's all about getting more views so apparently it must be a trend now to the drunk version but so..... Weird.
12-23-2018, 10:14 AM - 7 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I must be a complete moron. I bought the K-1 Mark II just a couple of months ago when there were amazing package deals to be had. I've enjoyed using it and am very happy with the images I've got. Without DPR I would have had no idea what a crappy camera I've wasted my money on.
12-23-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t understand why this such a big deal. -n and -ll models are usually extensions of a major platform (an update rather than an upgrade), which is to me precisely the description of the K-1Il.

Sticking up for Pentax would be courageous. Bashing Pentax is so, so banal.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.
12-23-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Without DPR I would have had no idea what a crappy camera I've wasted my money on.
Apparently, the K-1 II is close enough to the Yashica that you could have saved a bundle of money.
12-23-2018, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Bashing Pentax is so, so banal cheap.
Fixed it for you.