Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 872 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #766
Veteran Member

Actually, the Pentax K-1 is the worst IBIS OVF FF DSLR camera in the world I must say but the only one, so I keep it!
Best regards.

PS1: I made a mistake, there is another one, the Pentax K-1 MKII...
PS2: my lenses (majority Leica-R lenses) are out of fashion, vintage, old design. I use them to shoot but not to look at their characteristics...
PS3: for what I do with my camera, It's more than sufficient.. I am so bad at RAW processing at least...
PS4: I should wait for two generations more before buying EVF FF DSLR Camera.. I trust my Pentax camera..

Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Review

Titouan 18 years old birthday. Sigma Art 35/1.4 DG HSM, Pentax K-1 MKII, 1250Iso, 1/40s @1.8. MF, Square format. DxO PL 2.

Last edited by teiki arii; 01-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.
01-13-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #767
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Congratulations for your daughters wedding, it is always a really special day for the couple.. // Just as a wedding photographer tip, if they hired a pro (if not you can ignore this post) for the job try to not be in his/hers way at the ceremony, speaches, toasts, and every important moment that will happen during the day, you can't imagine the amount of lovely shots that gets ruined by the "uncle bob" camera jumping in the frame at the worst time.. those are moments that will never happen again (well sometimes it happens more than 1 haha.. but you get the idea) so if they hired a person to do the job, just relax, take your shots from your sit or from a position where you will not be on the main photographer way, receptions at more relax, specially during the dance you can get crazy shooting pics, but everything else have some key moments that will never happen again and can be ruined very easy , i know that the best intentions are always there but just be careful and enjoy such a lovely day with the family. You can give the same advice to the grooms father if you see that he is getting too crazy during the key moments.
I kept track of where she was, partly to stay out of her way and partly so I could take photos like the one below. My KP worked much better than I had hoped .... the tilting LCD allowed me to be inconspicuous and the higher ISO allowed me to go "flashless" the entire afternoon.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #768
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I kept track of where she was, partly to stay out of her way and partly so I could take photos like the one below. My KP worked much better than I had hoped .... the tilting LCD allowed me to be inconspicuous and the higher ISO allowed me to go "flashless" the entire afternoon.
The last time I had a role in a wedding was thirty years ago, when I was my brother's "best man", so I kept my eyes open because of the discussions here. I observed the following

1. My daughter and her new husband are employed professionals {librarians} - I'm guessing her salary alone is above the U.S. average family income. They were determined to pay as much of the costs of the wedding themselves as they could, so they were interested in minimizing expenses. They picked this photographer because she didn't require that they purchase a "package".

2. This photographer was using a Nikon with battery grip and flash .... and a 85mm prime {yes, I asked which lens she was using}. As a result, the biggest problem she seemed to face was finding a good place from which to take photographs. My wife had noticed that when she took a photo of the bridal couple, then of the couple plus best man and maid-of-honor, then of the couple and all their attendants, she had to back up each time {and had to move some chairs out of the way for the last one}.

3. The photographer selected a point where she would photograph each pair {groomsman + bridesmaid, father + bride}. and had us pause at that point, so focusing on a moving target was not an issue for her.
01-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #769
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The last time I had a role in a wedding was thirty years ago, when I was my brother's "best man", so I kept my eyes open because of the discussions here. I observed the following

1. My daughter and her new husband are employed professionals {librarians} - I'm guessing her salary alone is above the U.S. average family income. They were determined to pay as much of the costs of the wedding themselves as they could, so they were interested in minimizing expenses. They picked this photographer because she didn't require that they purchase a "package".

2. This photographer was using a Nikon with battery grip and flash .... and a 85mm prime {yes, I asked which lens she was using}. As a result, the biggest problem she seemed to face was finding a good place from which to take photographs. My wife had noticed that when she took a photo of the bridal couple, then of the couple plus best man and maid-of-honor, then of the couple and all their attendants, she had to back up each time {and had to move some chairs out of the way for the last one}.

3. The photographer selected a point where she would photograph each pair {groomsman + bridesmaid, father + bride}. and had us pause at that point, so focusing on a moving target was not an issue for her.
Weddings are such a dynamic event that I would find too many opportunities missed by being confined to a prime. It takes too long to switch lenses when the moment occurs, and within the time this is done, the moment is gone. Fast zooms are the way to go.

01-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Weddings are such a dynamic event that I would find too many opportunities missed by being confined to a prime. It takes too long to switch lenses when the moment occurs, and within the time this is done, the moment is gone. Fast zooms are the way to go.
She never switched lenses, which is why she ended up being far away for some of the shots.

Before you get the wrong idea, she appears in only eight of the forty photos in my temporary collection from the event.

added: I should also add that my wife loved her non-bossy inconspicuous approach to doing the job
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 01-13-2019 at 06:05 PM.
01-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The good thing about the Pentax K-1 Mark II is that it makes the original Pentax K-1 very affordable (price dropped significantly relative to introduction price, good for customers...). And if we compare the image quality of the Pentax K-1 II at high ISO, even with forced NR of the acceleration , the K1 II images still contain a lot more details than the Canon 5DSr 50Mpixels camera.
01-14-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

52 pages for the worst internet site of the world

01-14-2019, 03:12 AM   #773

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
the K1 II images still contain a lot more details than the Canon 5DSr 50Mpixels camera.
You may just have to prove this point....!!
01-14-2019, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #774
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The good thing about the Pentax K-1 Mark II is that it makes the original Pentax K-1 very affordable (price dropped significantly relative to introduction price, good for customers...). And if we compare the image quality of the Pentax K-1 II at high ISO, even with forced NR of the acceleration , the K1 II images still contain a lot more details than the Canon 5DSr 50Mpixels camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
You may just have to prove this point....!!
Allow me...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2019 at 03:28 AM.
01-14-2019, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Allow me...
Wow the 5DSR is simply awful. 5D MKIV seems fine especially given that it has an AA filter.
01-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #776
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Wow the 5DSR is simply awful. 5D MKIV seems fine especially given that it has an AA filter.
In fairness to Canon, all of these studio scene test shots should be taken with a fair pinch of salt due to the variety of lenses used and possible copy variation therein. Ideally, the areas with most detail should be at or near the centre of the frame where the lens performs best, as otherwise the resolution, field curvature and centering of the lens can play a part (remember the fiasco with the first K1II studio tests when a different lens was used?).

Even so, you can clearly see the difference here between the 50MP 5DS R and the 36MP "second worst camera of 2018"

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2019 at 05:37 AM.
01-14-2019, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #777
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Allow me...
5DSR seems better in some detail over the 5DIV but not with the green feathers. Both Pentax cameras seem to rise above both Canons in detail, colour and contrast. And these were not even pixel shifted results.
01-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's very odd. My wife shoots weddings and uses f2.8 zooms for 90 percent of the shots. She may shoot a few formals with primes, but typically she has 24-70 f2.8 on one camera and the 70-200 f2.8 on the other and goes with whichever focal length she needs.
01-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's very odd. My wife shoots weddings and uses f2.8 zooms for 90 percent of the shots. She may shoot a few formals with primes, but typically she has 24-70 f2.8 on one camera and the 70-200 f2.8 on the other and goes with whichever focal length she needs.
The first sentence explains it all:
The last time I had a role in a wedding was thirty years ago (...)
That was in 1988-1989.
01-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #780
Pentaxian

Allow me...
you haven't tried at ISO6400, I have compared, I think the complains about K1 II exaggerate, it is made a bigger deal than it actually is, and it means if you are after such details at ISO6400, tripod and electronic shutter are mandatory (same conditions as in the test chart), then I don't see how it makes sense to set ISO6400 with the camera fixed on a tripod. I've asked to provide conditions where high detail and high ISO are simultaneously mandatory and after 3 weeks I still haven't had any answer.

---------- Post added 14-01-19 at 13:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
5DSR seems better in some detail over the 5DIV but not with the green feathers. Both Pentax cameras seem to rise above both Canons in detail, colour and contrast. And these were not even pixel shifted results.
I was considering the 5DSr for landscape, so I compared images from imaging-resource comparometer. The 5DSr delivers great images at base ISO, but when increasing ISO the details fade faster on the 5DSr than they fade on the K1 mark II. So far, the 5DSr is the highest resolution FF camera, and its frame rate is comparable to that of the Pentax K1 II.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-14-2019 at 05:39 AM.